Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Quad Exhaust set up - options discussion

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Quad Exhaust set up - options discussion

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:33 am

Breaker wrote:Thanks. Yes, just going to fit it as is to my coupe. Can't see it being a problem to cut out (I am a certified vehicle body builder although I haven't done that job for a while!) as it's an '7 car. I would have probably taken the bumper off anyway. I guess it may be an idea to use the old scalpel trick when marking the cut-out on the bumper so as not to chip the paint.

Your project reminds me of my second MINI Cooper. I fitted the Cooper S chrome fuel filler to it even though the dealers mechanics said it couldn't be done! :P
I like the scalpel idea :thumbsup: I'll see once removed but probabbly use a combination of jigsaw and reciprocating saw with a fine laminate blade and a layer of masking tape on the good paint to avoid any vibration scratches.

So often dealers cannot do things because it's not on the factory approved list, nor does it have a procedure or time. Of course if they screw up then big problems to rectify.

When you get it remember to ask for the fitting instructions from the ASAP (After Sales Assistance Portal). Has a few diagrams and comments in it.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:23 pm

GP20 wrote:The CF diffusor looks pretty sweet. Makes me wonder if I could fit that onto my M bumper.

OK - GP20 I had a look this evening and think that while the profile is largely the same and you could chop away the twin exhaust outlets and the centre mesh section, you would have one area to worry about. At the extreme ends of the diffuser it's shaped to fit the non M style bumper that has a lip, which is not on the M. You would therefore have to either build up the bumper or infill the diffuser. Not impossible but an extra consideration and in a spot that is visible from the side.

Decided to cast myself a second outlet in fibreglass and resin. Worked pretty well :) :

Couple of shots before spraying. There was no need to be overly critical as it's completely upside down and invisible unless crouched down, or certain low angle side views. It's now all sprayed up black, but is a bit dark in artificial light to photograph.

Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Herminator

Post by Herminator » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:32 pm

Are you planning on smoothing over the edges of the carbon at the cutout?

Back when I raced RC cars, the chassis came with razor sharp edges, we sanded them smooth and then sealed the edge with super glue, gives a nice shiney finish and stops any splinters.
BMW M4CS, San Marino Blue, CCBs

Gone but not forgotten- Z4M Roadster, E31 840 Ci Sport, E85 Z4 3.0 Sport.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:06 pm

Smoothed, sanded and sorted and in fact I had some high temp black paint so finished it in that :thumbsup:

Yep - Both Glass fibre and CF are sharp

GP20

Post by GP20 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:05 am

Thanks for finding out for me. :thumbsup: You have some nice skills with fiberglass too.

Doesn't sound like a very easy job for the M bumper I guess. I was actually looking at the ACS rear diffusor, which also requires cutting away the center bottom trim on the stock M bumper, but fitting would still be a lot easier. The only reason I decided to not get it is I don't like how their carbon fiber patterns look, and they don't match my carbon fiber front grills. The 2x2 twill patterns on your OEM diffusor look a lot better.
'08 BMW Z4///MC 18" & 19" BBS RGR's|Michelin PSS'|TCK DA's 450/500|OEM CF spoiler|Aero side-skirts|ZHP gear-knob|OEM STB|
'06 BMW Z4///MR (sold)
'04 BMW Z4 3.0i 6sp SMG (lemon)
'03 BMW Z4 2.5i non-sport (sold)

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:28 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:OK so more questions ...lol

Diffuser is about £280, but I got 25% off so not too bad.
Ordered my diffuser this afternoon. On the dealers computer it costs £340 inc VAT!!!! :o I managed to get him down to £280 then down a bit more so I ordered it. But, £340 is the listed price on the BMW spares computer!!

Should be here next Wednesday so I may have a project next weekend. :thumbsup: Got to figure out how to get the rear bumper cover off now!! Looking at it this afternoon I think it could be cut on the car! Have to have a good check tomorrow.
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:21 pm

Was a bit busy fitting an alternator to the X5 so no real progress on the Zed today.

Just had a change of heart and sprayed both of the CF 'portals' gloss black. They now look identical and very OEM :)

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:31 pm

Very nice job! :thumbsup:

I'm now thinking I need a carbon front splitter!! :P
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:41 pm

Breaker wrote:Very nice job! :thumbsup:

I'm now thinking I need a carbon front splitter!! :P
Thanks

Front carbon splitter - you're brave :o

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:51 pm

Made a bit more progress and got on with chopping up the battery box and rewiring it. Way more complex than I would have wished, but - well it's a project.

Basically took 20cm out of each side of the box (not actually the middle due to profiles) Cut it in such a way as I kept all the key points such as cable connector on the LHS, starter cable access hole and undertray mounting points on the base and then heat welded it back together. Not a thing of beauty, but its a battery box. Hardest part was to ensure that I could reroute the starter cable and it arrive at the the '+' terminal to right way around and retaining all the fire/emergency shut off features.

Re-routed the OEM starte cable and converted the battery terminal to 6mm female. Added a new earth lead. Needs tidying up once the floor is finished.

Goes in Tuesday to have the floor replated and then I need to construct a proper battery restraint frame.

Out - huge hole left

Rebuilt, but half the size

Back together (temporary only)

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:12 pm

Well done :thumbsup:
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:41 pm

Hardcore. 8)

Are we likely to see "slightly modded" removed from you sig anytime soon Phil!? :D
2004-2005: "04" Saph 2.2i; 2007-2010: "05" Tit 3.0i; 2010-2012: "08" Audi TTR;
2012+ "MY13" Audi TTC TFSi S-line Black with 19s and lots of toys

Mr Whippy

Post by Mr Whippy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:51 pm

Eeeek!

I just couldn't bring myself to chop up my boot :D

Make sure to re-paint it with that corrosion protection stuff when done ;)

Can't wait to see the final result, feeling close now :D
04 3.0i, Titanium Silver, 107s, red m-sport interior

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:22 pm

Mr Whippy wrote:Eeeek!

I just couldn't bring myself to chop up my boot :D

Make sure to re-paint it with that corrosion protection stuff when done ;)

Can't wait to see the final result, feeling close now :D
Scrares me just a little sometime when the power tools hit something that I won't even park near other cars and cherish, but most mods turn out OK in the end.

You gotta believe it will be treated :) This car will be with me for a long time.

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:30 pm

so is the plan to leave the battery under the boot floor or move it up like in the M? - forgive me if this is already covered in the previous 7 pages...
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso