Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 engine seizure : no warning lights

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jamie_z4 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:37 pm

Ahh - thats s**t then, youd at least expect the oil lamp, mine comes in my old e46 when it needs a litre!
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

Post by sticky » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:17 pm

Sensors failed, but that does show under engine management. Get the mileage verified

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:28 pm

Oh dear - an unhappy situation to be in

There are however many things in here that concern me that would make me believe that no sort of claim will be possible and there's an element of driver neglect, even though it’s not impossible that something had gone wrong before the sale and it patched up, filled with some oil and sold on. I could even imagine lights being tampered with..

However, never manually checking the oil since purchase nearly a year before and not having a precautionary fluid change done..
For a week the car was stalling at junctions. Something that just starts happening shouldn’t be ignored Hindsight is wonderful, but that was a big warning and can be caused by overheating, etc.

Finally a real big set of warnings that look like the car was driven in the order of 10 miles over 3 drives leading to seizure, with lights on – “Warning light came on in the morning on way to work 7 mile drive. On way home , still on and about half way home started stalling at junctions. Got it home called AA. They drive for less than a half a mile. It seizes”

All that said there are degrees of seizure and the first port of call should be to an indy or garage to check for codes, coolant levels and pull the sump off and take a look. You may have just seized a shell bearing or partially seized 1 cylinder. All repairable in degrees of work, or worst case a new engine from a breakers if a rebuild can’t fix it

Good luck with it and I really do feel for you
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:31 pm

Waiting for an oil light is a bit dodgy.
Minis if you wait for the light to come on will probably need between 2-3 litres. Pretty much running dry at that point.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

coupedan

Post by coupedan » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:36 pm

Nictrix wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:31 pm Waiting for an oil light is a bit dodgy.
Minis if you wait for the light to come on will probably need between 2-3 litres. Pretty much running dry at that point.
I can vouch for that..
Woman at work has the supercharged mini and she wanted me to take a look at it as it was making a tapping noise.

Checked the oil, nothing on the dipstick, went to buy some oil, topped up 1ltr, still nothing on the dipstick.

just under 3 ltrs later and the dipstick was reading on the max.

No oil light or oil pressure light showed in that time.. just shows that you should always check your oil.

VRSteve

Post by VRSteve » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:53 pm

coupedan wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:36 pm
Nictrix wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:31 pm Waiting for an oil light is a bit dodgy.
I can vouch for that..
Woman at work has the supercharged mini and she wanted me to take a look at it as it was making a tapping noise.

Checked the oil, nothing on the dipstick, went to buy some oil, topped up 1ltr, still nothing on the dipstick.

No oil light or oil pressure light showed in that time.. just shows that you should always check your oil.

Yep, we have an R53 JCW.
My other half use to have a polo and it old her when it needed oil, the R53 doesn't.

I hopped in one day, she started it up and it was knocking its tits off. Made her turn it off straight away.
Put a load of oil in and its been fine since (5 years and 40k).
The oil now gets checked every 2 weeks.
///M|Silver Grey|Black Leather|BT|Nav|DSP|Heated Seats|PDC|Stubby|Turner Limiters|Turner Rear Top Mounts|Bilstein B12|Powerflex ARB Bushes|Powerflex Lollipops|M-Track|
SOLD

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:10 pm

This thread makes me miss having a Dipstick even more - I have no choice but to rely on electronic readouts :(
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Joycey

Post by Joycey » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:16 pm

Marlon wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:10 pm This thread makes me miss having a Dipstick even more - I have no choice but to rely on electronic readouts :(
Same and my digital read out is iffy at best :headbang:

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:22 pm

Joycey wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:16 pm
Marlon wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:10 pm This thread makes me miss having a Dipstick even more - I have no choice but to rely on electronic readouts :(
Same and my digital read out is iffy at best :headbang:
I remember getting my first 2 ltr 2006 facelift Zed and the first thing I did was pop the hood to check on oil level and colour. I searched for ages feeling like a right plumb cos I couldn't find the dipstick :headbang:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:24 pm

VRSteve wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:53 pm
coupedan wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:36 pm
I can vouch for that..

Yep, we have an R53 JCW.
My other half use to have a polo and it old her when it needed oil, the R53 doesn't.

I hopped in one day, she started it up and it was knocking its tits off. Made her turn it off straight away.
Put a load of oil in and its been fine since (5 years and 40k).
The oil now gets checked every 2 weeks.
BMW/Mini say its normal for them to use up to 1 Litre every thousand miles.
We were lucky, ours only used half that.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:17 am

Marlon wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:22 pmI remember getting my first 2 ltr 2006 facelift Zed and the first thing I did was pop the hood to check on oil level and colour. I searched for ages feeling like a right plumb cos I couldn't find the dipstick
Yep, did the same with my first Z4! :oops:

So then I read the book. :rofl:

In that respect at least the M54 engines are better - dipstick and low level warning light!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Paulr

Post by Paulr » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:04 pm

.....knocking it's tits off...... :rofl:
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

Jimbo1

Post by Jimbo1 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:59 pm

BMW come back to me with the following regarding issue with engine and way forward, they are not willing to pay compensation as they say I do not have a full BMW service history :-

Removed sump from vehicle and also Big End cap from cylinder five and found damage to
Crankshaft, Removed Rocker cover and Cap from cylinder Five - Found damage to Cylinder Head.

Two major components are damaged, BMW would recommend replacing Engine on vehicle.

Cannot see value of putting new engine in as they are quoting nearly the current cost of car after you add labour. Though do get two year warranty on engine.
Or
Do I source 2nd hand engine get it fitted and sell and put loss down to experience.
Or
Just write off and sell as is ?

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:45 pm

Jimbo1 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:59 pm BMW come back to me with the following regarding issue with engine and way forward, they are not willing to pay compensation as they say I do not have a full BMW service history :-

Removed sump from vehicle and also Big End cap from cylinder five and found damage to
Crankshaft, Removed Rocker cover and Cap from cylinder Five - Found damage to Cylinder Head.

Two major components are damaged, BMW would recommend replacing Engine on vehicle.

Cannot see value of putting new engine in as they are quoting nearly the current cost of car after you add labour. Though do get two year warranty on engine.
Or
Do I source 2nd hand engine get it fitted and sell and put loss down to experience.
Or
Just write off and sell as is ?
Why don't you source a used engine & get an Indy to fit it & then hang on to the car to get some value/use from it?
Can't really see the reasoning behind spending out getting it fixed up and selling it on straight away :?
Whatever option you choose, don't neglect to check the oil level regularly! :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

huytonman

Post by huytonman » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:53 pm

As stated you should locate a local indie and see what they suggest - I assume that the BMW dealer will be charging you quite a few bob for the investigation and will likewise do the same to re-assemble the engine so it may be a case if you find an indie who wants the job to get them to collect the car as is to avoid any more expensive main dealer labour charges. A decent indie will know where to source a new engine or whether its more cost effective to rebuild what you have. I'm guessing that you arent too mechanically minded going by the lack of checks on oil level etc (excuse me if I'm wrong) so you will need to locate an indie who can be truested to do the right thing by you, ask on this forum who is recommended in your area. Bad luck though.
Keith