Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Almost a Z4M Roadster owner....

First port of call for new members
Prestonese

Post by Prestonese » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:13 pm

Hi all! I saw a lovely mint Z4M roadster today and think I have finally found the one. Still a few things to agree with the current owner but hopefully no hitches from here. Can't wait to get hold of it and to share views with the forum!

I have been toying with high mileage versions, coupes and even a 3.0si but in the end found a beautifully kept version which I can imagine being a long term keeper.

Just out of curiosity, what is the first thing I should look out for and to check to make sure is all working properly? Anything you think would be worth refreshing even though it's done less than 40k miles and has fully BMW service history? Rear could? Bushes? The car drove beautifully and the engine was a peach. I've driven a few others but this one was super tight and felt really fresh. Any views or advice would be most welcome!
2007 Z4M Roadster / Ruby black / Red Leather / No Mods

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:23 pm

Under 40k a well kept Z4MR shouldn't hold any unexpected surprises. Unless it's spent a lot of time on track or been ragged, the original suspension should still be in good order too. Check what's left in the discs and pads. Discs are not cheap. :wink:

Look forward to viewing the new beast. :D

Prestonese

Post by Prestonese » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:38 pm

Can't wait to share with you! I couldn't believe what great condition this one was in! I was due to test a few M coupes as well but none I could find has such a clean history and would have to surprise on the upside to change my mind. Besides, I've just come out of driving coupes and it's time for something different even though coupes are supposed to be more classic and er... more likely to "hold their value"

Mad Professor

Post by Mad Professor » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:40 pm

Make sure its had inspection 2 if its anywhere near 40k
Also check to see if its had the uprated Vanos bolts -if not get them done
Should have no rattles at tickover -another sign of potential vanos issues
Check for uneven wear on the tyres -sure sign of suspension issues
Check roof goes up and down nice and quick
Present : 987 Box
Past history : ,Z4MR ,Cat HPC evo , XKR , Eunos VR , Eunos VS, Westie S8 ,TVR S2 , S54 Z3MR, SL500 , TVR Wedge 4.6 , Cat Xflow , Saab 900 Turbo ,Cat VXE ,Cat BDR, Cat Twincam , Elan S3 , Haldane Healey, Lancia HF turbo

Prestonese

Post by Prestonese » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:57 am

Anyone know where to find replacement floor mats with the M logos? I assume that's what they came with originally?

dgm

Post by dgm » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:30 am

Just plain mats, there was no logo on them.
06 Z4MC, Sapphire black, Aero sideskirts, BMW strutbrace, CSL's, Remus back boxes, Intravee and Alpine DAB

Prestonese

Post by Prestonese » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:46 pm

Finally picked my Z4M up today! Great old school fun. Car is in boxfresh condition with only 26k miles on the clock. Spartan spec just as I wanted it but the red leather is nice and the Ruby black paintwork is in top condition. Love the engine and the rawness of it all - much more interesting than most modern cars.

Happy with the choice of car but I just can't seem to get comfortable in the seats. Anyone else have this problem?
Attachments
20170701_135818.jpg
20170701_135818.jpg (224.33 KiB) Viewed 2225 times

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:14 pm

Congratulations OP - and well done for posting a photo when you could have been driving!

I didn't have a problem getting the seat comfortable, but did have to adjust the steering wheel as well to get everything set to suit me.

Keep fiddling with both, and I'm sure you'll get there! Then just enjoy. :driving:

BTW your car looks fantastic - lovely colour combination. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Prestonese

Post by Prestonese » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:27 pm

Thanks for the comments!
Went for a er...long drive this weekend and a few things I noticed - feel free to comment on this as well.

1. The car has an incredibly tight turning circle. Anyone else notice this? It is really handy though!
2. Driving on motorways with the top down is not too bad but what is the max speed you can do with the top up or down? I read previously that Porsche boxsters should only be driven to 125mph max with the top up. Not that I ever envisage hitting those speeds....
3. The engine is more flexible than my previous Cayman. Maybe it's the gearing but it feels livelier.
4. Still can't get comfotable with those seats!
5. Steering is a bit dead at centre even compared to some electric set ups on newer BMWs. Is this expected or do I need to play with the suspension set up?
6. Ride comfort isn't that bad and I don't find the car difficult or uncomfortable to drive in the city. It's the body rolls that is unsettling though if you need quick changes in direction. I suspect this car needs to be driven at 10/10ths or 6/10ths to be enjoyed. In between is probably not ideal for the factory set up?
7. Roof is solid and not too bad noise wise compared to coupes I've driven. Only a noise issue with rain which is expected. I can definitely hear the radio on the motorways.

Difficult to pin this car down. I love the flaws and the old school characteritics and the fact that it's not a Porsche. There are also no other cars comparable to this or as much fun at this sort of price bracket. There won't be anything else made like this again.

A friend of mine came along in a M235i but that felt like dull in comparison. Great daily though if you are into that sort of stuff but not a fun car by any means.

Thoughts welcome! Gratuitous photo attached!
Attachments
20170714_141745.jpg
20170714_141745.jpg (186.92 KiB) Viewed 2178 times

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:25 pm

Paul and bing will attest you can get 155 with the top down... on the autobahn of course! :thumbsup:

Body roll.. bit strange shouldn't be getting much at all. I had a coupe and it had a different sus set up than the standard but there was no roll at all it was very flat.

I agree on the 1/235/40 variants being great dailies but not much character in comparison. There are a lot of pros tho - Cheaper to run, better performance more frugal and dont stand out as much.

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RickRob » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:31 pm

I too found it difficult to the seat just right, but got there in the end. Best bit a about memory seats that the settings are set forever now!
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:03 pm

Yeah, seats just need some fiddling. When I bought my first Z it instantly destroyed my lower back thought I'd made a huge mistake, couple of weeks later I had the position nailed.

Lovely car OP, ruby black is beautiful in the sun.

When you have it serviced have them check the engine mount bolts - specifically the ones holding the bracket that the engine mount sits on to the block, that are actually screwed into the block. They can sometimes come loose and shear, a manufacturing issue, something to do with excessive heat when testing backing off the torque of the bolts.

Enjoy - perfect time of year to come to MR ownership :thumbsup:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Prestonese

Post by Prestonese » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:05 pm

tomscott wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:25 pm Paul and bing will attest you can get 155 with the top down... on the autobahn of course! :thumbsup:

Body roll.. bit strange shouldn't be getting much at all. I had a coupe and it had a different sus set up than the standard but there was no roll at all it was very flat.

I agree on the 1/235/40 variants being great dailies but not much character in comparison. There are a lot of pros tho - Cheaper to run, better performance more frugal and dont stand out as much.
What I mean about body roll is the way the car deals with cambers, bumps and changes in directions. You can feel the weight shifting a lot which doesn't give you much joy trying to correct lines. The car is flat until it hits cambers or you need to move lines. Not sure if I am explaining it well though!

It's not terrible but it's noticeable and affects the way you drive it. I did come from a Cayman GTS so it probably is unfair to compare!

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:16 pm

330 miles covered in the Lakes this weekend in my 2006 80k Mroady & if there is a better car in its class for the money that offers so much id love to drive it :) this is my second & the magic is still strong .
Each & every drive is a thrill & never tire of the S54 noise as it builds in every gear ( add some BCS backboxes for the cream on the bun :evil: )
The grip in the bends just asks for pushing & the feel of the wheel couldn't be better .
Not sure id feel the same if it wasn't a weekend treat but it isn't so the pleasure is all ///Mine :D
Great cars & sure you will settle to it :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:21 pm

tomscott wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:25 pm Paul and bing will attest you can get 155 with the top down... on the autobahn of course! :thumbsup:
160, but what's 5mph between friends at that speed :lol:

Just a bit noisy is all, but less than you'd expect. There's no limit on distance either - did a 1000km / one day shift with the roof down the whole way on the same trip :driving:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...