Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My Steering Wheel Refurb

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
thanatu55

My Steering Wheel Refurb

Post by thanatu55 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:17 pm

Well it's taken longer than I would have liked but I finally have my complete refurbished steering wheel. Brian (Dietcokeman) did a great job re-colouring the spokes from a worn black to a fresh new looking silver. Also I didn't use Royals, as it seems most people on here have used, I decided to try something different. Not massively so, but slightly different.

I used these in Germany http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Ihr-Leder-Lenk ... 7675.l2568, I don't know if anyone else has tried them?

Anyway, you might notice that it's a little thicker than it was originally, on top of the already chunky M Sport wheel. Also the thumb rests are a little more accentuated. However I didn't get exactly what I wanted, as I would have liked them to have carried on the more defined theme on the bottom half of the wheel as they do on some of their other offerings. But for some reason they say they can only do the thumbs on the M wheel.

That aside I'm very happy with how it turned out, it's a huge improvement over how it looked before. It also feels a lot nicer and rather more comfortable in the hand. So thanks to Brian and thanks to Ihr Leder Lenkrad Meister (translates to 'Your leather steering wheel master').

Before:

After:

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

My Steering Wheel Refurb

Post by Marlon » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:40 pm

Looks good - the standard M sports wheel is very chunky, I can't imagine what it would feel like with added padding as you have gone for (particularly the top half of the wheel).
The over all finish looks very neat :thumbsup:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

My Steering Wheel Refurb

Post by ben g » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:44 pm

That looks fantastic! Love how chunky it is.

Only downside is the wonky chav badge :P :poke:
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

My Steering Wheel Refurb

Post by jamie_z4 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:51 pm

loooks great! However not so much the stick on bits all over the dash/radio/vents etc :o :?
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

My Steering Wheel Refurb

Post by ben g » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:13 pm

jamie_z4 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:51 pm loooks great! However not so much the stick on bits all over the dash/radio/vents etc :o :?
:lol: i didn't want to mention those...less is more, springs to mind :thumbsup:

Sometimes you can end up doing mods for the sake of doing mods. Not my cup of tea, but the rest of the car looks good.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

thanatu55

My Steering Wheel Refurb

Post by thanatu55 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:37 pm

ben g wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:44 pm That looks fantastic! Love how chunky it is.

Only downside is the wonky chav badge :P :poke:
Haha I quite like my chav badge :P

Zoomer

My Steering Wheel Refurb

Post by Zoomer » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:16 pm

Great Job :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey 3.0i E85 Black Heated Leather M sports seats , 224's ,Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Xenons, PDC, Gaptech ,Cruise and a nice warm garage. NOW GONE
Silver 3.0i Z4 NOW GONE

thanatu55

My Steering Wheel Refurb

Post by thanatu55 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:44 pm

jamie_z4 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:51 pm loooks great! However not so much the stick on bits all over the dash/radio/vents etc :o :?
I got the dash kit because I don't like the dated radio in the middle of the dash, and I don't like the aftermarket single din and fascia alternative that many use instead. If anything I think they look worse, out of place and not in keeping with the lines of the dash and interior. My ideal would be a double din fascia piece like IAmOrion is trying to create, but there aren't any.

The camera isn't kind to it I admit, it picks up a glossy sheen that isn't as apparent in person. The finish is more like the brushed steel dash and centre console that came with the car, and blends the radio rather than making it stand out more. The side vents I'm not sold on and I might end up removing them at some point, but until someone comes out with a functional double din fascia piece the then my semi-solution is doing it's job by hiding the least attractive feature of the interior.

But sure, everyone's opinion is different and we don't all see things the same. Some will like the radio as it is, and some obviously like those awful single din plastic surrounds. We'd have nothing to talk about on here if we all conformed to one opinion. :)