Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Shock absorber failed

shaunc

Shock absorber failed

Post by shaunc » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:40 pm

Here's a new one to watch out for.

Just taken Z4 for 1st MOT. Thought it would have sailed through but should have been wary by now. Only 20k careful miles.

Offside front shock absorber has serious fluid leak and nearside front tyre has breading exposed. Gutted!! Tyres you can't do anything about although don't know how it happened, but shock absorber!! 4yrs old!! Fortunately, purchased extended warranty, but still a £100 excess.

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Shock absorber failed

Post by sk93 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:42 pm

"not fit for purpose" springs to mind...
:zzzz:

shaunc

Post by shaunc » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:48 pm

springs to mind ...
I like it!!

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:35 pm

:thumbsdown:
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:50 pm

Given the wear on one tyre and bad shocker I'd suggest its had damage, major pothole or kerbing. I'd have your alignment checked.

Atom1

Post by Atom1 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:21 pm

Maniac wrote:Given the wear on one tyre and bad shocker I'd suggest its had damage, major pothole or kerbing. I'd have your alignment checked.
Ditto,

Iv had a similar issue after hitting a curb.
Gone - '63' reg BMW Z4 S Drive 20i M Sport LCi - Alpine White, Coral Red Leather.
Daily drive - '64' reg 320d M Sport, sport auto, Alpine White, Coral Red Leather, M Sport + Pack
Weekend Fun - '56' reg BMW Z4 M Coupe, Saphire Black, Red Leather.

shaunc

Post by shaunc » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:39 am

Ok I take it all back. I'll have to check with she who must be obeyed what she's been doing with it. :x

I take it the curbing was fairly slow speed?

James_P

Post by James_P » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:19 pm

My dealer picked up a leak on the NSR damper when the car [2011 35iS] was last in - took a month to get the parts from BMW and today it is in for new dampers under warranty.

2yr old car and 25k miles so would hope this is not a common problem but in total is my 9th trip to the dealers. The courtesy car is a rented Corsa so maybe they won't care when they don't get to replace it.
2011 Z4sDrive35is

James_P

Post by James_P » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:23 am

James_P wrote:My dealer picked up a leak on the NSR damper when the car [2011 35iS] was last in - took a month to get the parts from BMW and today it is in for new dampers under warranty.

2yr old car and 25k miles so would hope this is not a common problem but in total is my 9th trip to the dealers. The courtesy car is a rented Corsa so maybe they won't care when they don't get to replace it.
Update - is it normal to only replace a single damper? Seems odd to have new and old on the same axle. The ride height does not seem level although it was supposedly checked before they returned it.

It has to go back (again!) anyway as a bulb needs replacing - pity they didn't check it at the time as asked.

It's not looking like this will replaced with another BMW next time - too many niggles and return trips to the dealers :(
2011 Z4sDrive35is

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:00 pm

I empathize with your woes I really do as I had lots to deal with on mine. Unless you've really fallen out of love with the car, try to put the issues behind you as there really isn't much to touch it on the road right now.

As for replacing dampers then you can do one at a time but it's recommended to do both. Given the mileage they've probably thought it's okay to do one. It should not affect ride height. Give the suspension a few days to settle andlook at it again.

James_P

Post by James_P » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:12 am

Maniac wrote:I empathize with your woes I really do as I had lots to deal with on mine. Unless you've really fallen out of love with the car, try to put the issues behind you as there really isn't much to touch it on the road right now.

As for replacing dampers then you can do one at a time but it's recommended to do both. Given the mileage they've probably thought it's okay to do one. It should not affect ride height. Give the suspension a few days to settle andlook at it again.
It's just frustrating to go back to the dealer so many times for small niggles, it does spoil my enjoyment of what is essentially a very good car - as you said not many alternatives out there. I've got it for 4 years total at least as it's through my business so it has 2 1/2 years to regain my affection and the dealer has the same time to restore my faith in the brand.

They really should stop the Corsa courtesy car though, I had a Vauxhall before [VXR8] that only ever needed tyres and servicing - plus a LOT of fuel ;)
2011 Z4sDrive35is

Atom1

Post by Atom1 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:35 am

I fell out of love with my car after busting the shock and wheel bearing, I swore blind that it was never the same!

Two weeks later I put a dipper down on the Z4, after that the car felt back to normal. It was all in my head, lol.
Gone - '63' reg BMW Z4 S Drive 20i M Sport LCi - Alpine White, Coral Red Leather.
Daily drive - '64' reg 320d M Sport, sport auto, Alpine White, Coral Red Leather, M Sport + Pack
Weekend Fun - '56' reg BMW Z4 M Coupe, Saphire Black, Red Leather.

James_P

Post by James_P » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:30 pm

and another one has failed (front this time) and has to be replaced for the car pass the MoT.

I am very glad that all this has been covered under the BMW warranty but I cannot help but wonder how many times I will have to pay my excess during the next 12 months paid warranty? Perhaps it would have been worth opting for a nil excess and paying the extra for the warranty.
2011 Z4sDrive35is

James_P

Post by James_P » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:20 pm

James_P wrote:and another one has failed (front this time) and has to be replaced for the car pass the MoT.

I am very glad that all this has been covered under the BMW warranty but I cannot help but wonder how many times I will have to pay my excess during the next 12 months paid warranty? Perhaps it would have been worth opting for a nil excess and paying the extra for the warranty.
Call from the dealers. Part not delivered and is apparently "on back order." So that will be an MoT failure and I'll probably be driving a diesel 1 series for a while. Time to speak to BMW GB I think.
2011 Z4sDrive35is

James_P

Re: Shock absorber failed UPDATE

Post by James_P » Tue May 06, 2014 4:49 pm

James_P wrote:
James_P wrote:and another one has failed (front this time) and has to be replaced for the car pass the MoT.

Call from the dealers. Part not delivered and is apparently "on back order." So that will be an MoT failure and I'll probably be driving a diesel 1 series for a while. Time to speak to BMW GB I think.
Email this morning from BMW GB - part will not be delivered for another week, we trust your dealer is keeping you mobile.

After numerous attempts I finally spoke to someone at the dealers who said the part was delivered this morning. Taking it in tomorrow and they have assured me it will be fitted to be collected on Thursday afternoon.

Not taking customer phone calls must be contagious - BMW GB appear to have caught it from just speaking to the dealer!

Wish I had access to the same time machine that made next week's delivery this morning. I'd go back to January 2012 and tell myself to keep the Vauxhall.
2011 Z4sDrive35is