Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Removing the rear wing

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Removing the rear wing

Post by Number5 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:37 am

Spikey wrote:Alan - who was saying last week that there was a weld just at the point where the roof meets the wing?
Not disagreeing with previous poster (I don't know myself) but we did have this discussion ?????
Anyone changed one themselves = personal experience?
The guy at Forza was telling me it was welded, but seeing the thread where SRHutch swapped his front wing himself makes me wonder if it was correct.
As you say, I was hoping somebody had personally done it and could definitely vouch either way ?
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

john-z4

Post by john-z4 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:41 am

Hi, Just to confirm, there are no welds holding the wing on, its just purely bolted. All the main bolts are visible once the bumper and skirt and plastic trim on rear quarter at the inside of the door have been removed. The one that's a pain, is hidden under the rear panel between the boot and the roof (have highlighted the bolt hole in pic).Image
This bolt is accessed from inside the boot. I followed 'Shipkillers' guide to roof removal to access this bolt. You don't need to remove the roof, but just undo the 7 bolts holding the aluminium frame around the bulkhead, which gives you just enough room to move the frame out the way to access the bolt.
If you've only removed all the visible bolts, then yeah you'd swear its welded or somehow fixed under the panel.
I stripped both my wings off when I painted the car. Its not too bad, just extreme fun upside down, contorting yourself in the boot of the car! Especially if you're not a small person. Bring back child labour!
Cheers, John.
Last edited by john-z4 on Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
2.5i Roadster, Pearl Sunburst Orange, Angel Eyes, M Bumper, M steering wheel, 19" AVA Memphis alloys, Eibachs , 3.0i Brakes, Orange Calipers, Quad exhaust, Custom rear bumper, Rx8 seats, Facelift rear lights, + More. All mods homemade.

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:49 am

Thanks again John. Sounds like a job for my 13 year old lad when I get to that bit ! :thumbsup:
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:59 am

Looking at the damage, that looks like an easy repair, have you tried any of the guys who do dent removal and then small local repairs to the paint, just a thought.
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:06 am

firebobby wrote:Looking at the damage, that looks like an easy repair, have you tried any of the guys who do dent removal and then small local repairs to the paint, just a thought.
Weighing it up, For the labour involved in repairing it and removing the damage, filling and sanding, I'd rather have a new wing that I know has no rust or filler if its just a matter of bolting it on. There are also a few other marks and dimples on the same panel.
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:20 am

Number5 wrote:
firebobby wrote:Looking at the damage, that looks like an easy repair, have you tried any of the guys who do dent removal and then small local repairs to the paint, just a thought.
Weighing it up, For the labour involved in repairing it and removing the damage, filling and sanding, I'd rather have a new wing that I know has no rust or filler if its just a matter of bolting it on. There are also a few other marks and dimples on the same panel.
I agree with this - as long as you get a genuine wing it should fit perfectly, it can also be painted off the car which prevents overspray etc.

Then you can eBay the old wing and recoup some of the cost :thumbsup:
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

Likewise unless that can be removed using PDR a replacement wing is the best option. I would keep an eye in ebay and wait until a titanium silver one comes up. hopefully the colour will match as we know silver is the worst colour for respray :cry: