Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Another DIY stone chip/road rash removal.

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
A320_phill

Another DIY stone chip/road rash removal.

Post by A320_phill » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:46 pm

This is a bit of a repeat from a post by another member (Benny88) but thought I'd share my results!

As you know a common problem on the E85/86 is road rash/stone chips around the lower edge of the arches and front bumper, and my montego blue coupe was no exception.

I used a halfords touch-up kit and mixed a 50:50 mix of the colour coat and the laquer in a small pot. I applied a light coat of the mix using a lint free cloth and left overnight to harden. ( I was a bit nervous as I didn't know if I could actually get this off if it had gone wrong!)

Anyway, I used regular T-cut (for metallic colours) on a clean damp cloth and buffed off the excess paint/laquer mix. I then used dodo juice purple haze to smarten it up to the finish shown below. You really can't go too far wrong with this method, but it does take some elbow grease using this manual method rather than a DA polisher!

I'm very pleased with the results and have gone on to do the front bumper and various other areas on the car with great success. It's not perfect but a massive improvement and they are now not noticeable when standing near the car. :thumbsup:

See below pics and see what you think, cheers.

Before...

After...

domsz4

Re: Another DIY stone chip/road rash removal.

Post by domsz4 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:48 pm

which kit is it? do you need to know your car colour or is it a generic kit per colour?
Proud Whip owner ;)

Kingash

Post by Kingash » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:50 pm

I have some bad rash il have to give this a go! Thanks for sharing the pics

Logan

Post by Logan » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:51 pm

That looks amazing. I have a rash like that and would like to remove it.
Z4M COUPE

A320_phill

Post by A320_phill » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:58 pm

domsz4 wrote:which kit is it? do you need to know your car colour or is it a generic kit per colour?
You will need to know your car colour i.e mine is montego blue (which is written on the kit packet). The halfords kits are about a tenner and you get a primer, paint and laquer. Also a little pad and stick. I only used about 2 thirds of the paint and laquer doing all 4 arches and the lower edge of the front bumper, applying in a swirl motion with a cloth.

A little tip now that I have done it would be to apply as little of the mix as possible but obviously enough to fill in the rash, to make life easier when removing the excess once it's dry, especially if you are using a cloth and t-cut!

I have barely any experience with car painting/detailing so I would honestly say to anyone give it a go.

domsz4

Post by domsz4 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:07 pm

thanks, my bumper looks like some one has taken a machine gun with grit to it, really needs taking off, filling and spraying but i cant get the time or cost at the mo esp with the westy engine upgrade getting more expensive by the minute. so i thought i could give this a whirl ad get some of the scratches out.
Proud Whip owner ;)

Phil-E30

Post by Phil-E30 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:28 pm

I like this idea. It's pretty simple and inoffensive. How much was your paint/lacquer touch up from Halfrauds Phill? How many mls did you buy?
"If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologise."
Muhammad Ali

A320_phill

Post by A320_phill » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:38 pm

It was around £10 if not less and I only used about 2 thirds of the kit to do all 4 arches and lower front bumper. Bargain really.

Phil-E30

Post by Phil-E30 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:43 pm

Is it the small tube-like kits that they do? Just thinking I might have to get one made up, was yours off the shelf?
"If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologise."
Muhammad Ali

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:34 pm

I think www.paints4u.com will sell you a pre mixed paint/clear. The process is similar to the road rash kits you can buy. I wonder if a wipe with thinners the next day would be easier than T-Cut to get the worst off.

A320_phill

Post by A320_phill » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:28 pm

Yeah it's the small kits with 3 little bottles in them. Mine was off the shelf but unsure about other colours.

Might be worth a try with the thinners as the t-cut was a bit harsh on the old digits! Lots of rubbing.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:19 pm

Fast3000

Post by Fast3000 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:38 pm

Wow fantastic job!
Current: BMW Alpina E46 B3S Convertible
Previous: BMW Z4MC Interlagos - Rare Piano Black Trim with Blue colour seat bolsters!