Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

M steering wheel retrofit help

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
rich-v

M steering wheel retrofit help

Post by rich-v » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:09 am

Hello, just bought this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... SA:GB:1123

and was wondering if anyone knows if the airbag and spoke trim off my original wheel (standard Z4 2004 model) will fit to this? Or if anyone has the part numbers for the black M spoke covers. I think the black looks better but having a M badge on a standard car is so cheese-ball so perhaps it can be removed off the bottom cover?

Any help would be much appreciated

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Re: M steering wheel retrofit help

Post by PawnSacrifice » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:27 am

This thread will help...
http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... +stitching
Contains fitting instructions and advice. With your car you don't need to worry about that extra little cable if you go MF.

I've just done exactly the same. Couldn't find the M-spokes separately and may be very expensive! Have the standard MF spokes on. The sides fit perfectly but the bottom finishes in a different placed... on the M wheel the bottom spoke finishes half way across the face, on std wheel it finished at the bottom. A pig to fit too.

To be honest, if you want less hassle, black spokes and a perfect fit you may be better off selling the wheel you bought and buying the complete M wheel as on the link above.

Air bag is direct swap.

Once I've eaten my porridge I'll take a pic of the silver spokes on that wheel.
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.

rich-v

Post by rich-v » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:50 am

Thanks pawn but I think I'll stick with this wheel as the complete M wheel from BMW is over £400

The pic of yours would be appreciated though. :thumbsup:

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PawnSacrifice » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:53 am

Okay, here's a side pic, you can see where the side doesn't fit completely flush at the bottom...

It's not too bad. I like the silver spokes with the rest of the trim.

Forgot to say... a real bitch to fit! The uneasy combination of brute strength and patience.

Just saw your last post - if you look at the other thread the other guys are picking up the wheel with spokes for around £220... although it doesn't have the stitching, I think it's the 3.0 sport wheel.
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

rich-v

Post by rich-v » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:00 am

Sweet, I can live with that. I don't have the multi function so I'm hoping the blank sides will fit

thanks for the pic

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PawnSacrifice » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:23 am

I fitted the standard spokes as a test, they actually went on easier. Just be careful taking the spokes off the old wheel - a little time inspecting the inside of the spokes prior to remove pays off.

EDIT: This is a great upgrade :thumbsup:

rich-v

Post by rich-v » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:32 am

Thanks, I appreciate your time PawnSacrifice

aRtemis

Post by aRtemis » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:10 pm

M wheel with silver spokes looks tasty! :evil:
55' 3.0 SE TSilver,108's, Red Leather, Pro Nav, Xenons, Heated Seats, Parking sensir, DSP

RichardG

Post by RichardG » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:05 pm

PawnSacrifice wrote:Okay, here's a side pic, you can see where the side doesn't fit completely flush at the bottom...

It's not too bad. I like the silver spokes with the rest of the trim.

Forgot to say... a real bitch to fit! The uneasy combination of brute strength and patience.

I bought the same wheel from the same supplier as the OP and as PawnSacrifice has done I have fitted the original silver spokes however I ended up trimming the bottom one to somewhere between the black M spokes and the silver standard spoke would fit as I just could'nt get it to sit right or look as good as the photo (Is it a very clever angle or was I just useless at fitting them) and to leave the bottom of wheel smooth,

Be very careful when removing from the old wheel as not to break any tabs as they definately will not sit right if you do, its not easy.
04 2.5 SE, Alpine iDA X-305, Eibach's, M Tri-Colour MFSW, CF Roundells, LeatherZ Armrest, De-Gingered, 19" VMR V710's, Aero Skirts, Fr & R M Bumpers, Quad Exhaust and NO Stubby

rich-v

Post by rich-v » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:36 pm

Thanks RichardG,

could I ask for a pic of your trimmed wheel?

Also, can I take the wheel off then deal with the spokes or do they need to come off with the wheel in situ?

RichardG

Post by RichardG » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:46 pm

rich-v wrote:Thanks RichardG,

could I ask for a pic of your trimmed wheel?

Also, can I take the wheel off then deal with the spokes or do they need to come off with the wheel in situ?
Sorry can't help with a pic at the moment as I'm not even in the same hemisphere as my Z,

The spokes come off with the wheel and cannot be removed in situ.
04 2.5 SE, Alpine iDA X-305, Eibach's, M Tri-Colour MFSW, CF Roundells, LeatherZ Armrest, De-Gingered, 19" VMR V710's, Aero Skirts, Fr & R M Bumpers, Quad Exhaust and NO Stubby

rich-v

Post by rich-v » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:02 pm

:thumbsup:

daveg

Post by daveg » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:03 pm

Would really love tri colour stiching but think the black spokes with multi function would cost too much.

Off to find part numbers on RealOEM and hope they are reasonable.
03 3.0i SE For Sale
Done - P Zero Rosso's | Stubby | 107's | ///M MFSW | ZHP | Cruise | Custom boot/license bulbs | Full circle brake | 330 calipers | EBC Ultimax/Greenstuff | Clear sides rears + 3rd brake | Strut Brace | 4 wheel align

rich-v

Post by rich-v » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:19 pm

And here we go!

But had to trim it slightly

It was a bit of a rush job as it only arrived this afternoon and I've got to drive to London first thing tomorrow. And not fitting it today was like telling the kids not to play with the toys on Christmas day!

I'll take it off again to do a proper job on the bottom spoke. I must say I was bricking it when I was taking the airbag off, it felt like defusing a WW2 unexploded bomb, despite there being no power connected. It ended up a pretty easy job in the end and a great modification. If anyone is interested the guy I bought the wheel off on eBay is selling more of them but I might be tempted to go for the £220 all black version with the correct cowling as mentioned above.

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PawnSacrifice » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:07 am

RichardG wrote:
PawnSacrifice wrote:Okay, here's a side pic, you can see where the side doesn't fit completely flush at the bottom...
I bought the same wheel from the same supplier as the OP and as PawnSacrifice has done I have fitted the original silver spokes however I ended up trimming the bottom one to somewhere between the black M spokes and the silver standard spoke would fit as I just couldn't get it to sit right or look as good as the photo (Is it a very clever angle or was I just useless at fitting them) and to leave the bottom of wheel smooth,
Took some doing to get the spokes on as it, but brute force won the day - something I never usually advocate, I really had to push the bottom spokes into the leather on the new wheel to get them to align. But no, it doesn't sit completely flush to the bottom of the wheel.

For anyone who's found this thread looking to do a retrofit, there is now a How To:
http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... 34&t=16422
Last edited by PawnSacrifice on Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.