Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Halogen to Xenon Conversion

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
mintstuff

Halogen to Xenon Conversion

Post by mintstuff » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:50 pm

I have recently upgraded by headlights from halogen projectors to Xenon projectors.

Originally my belief was that if you has projector headlights an HID kit wouldn't cause glare.
After purchasing and fitting a slim 50w set from HIDS Direct for £75 (inc error cancellers) (http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/hid-conver ... p-457.html) I was unhappy with the level of glare being emitted.
Glare before (glare looks worse in the photo than actual)

After reading about the subject I found that the ribbed lens fitted as standard to the halogen projectors could be the culprit..

Ribbed Lens (original halogen)

Following a extensive search on the internet, I could only find one seller on Ebay providing just the xenon lenses that could be used with my exisiting headlight. These cost around £55 after shipping from the US. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 3D1&_rdc=1)
24/09/2013 ADDED:-
Item title: 3" HID Clear Lenses BMW E65 E60 E39 Z4 Xenon Projectors
Item number: 380159795403
Seller User ID: oem_xenon_parts (I can't find this seller on eBay)
$44.98 per item
$35.00 shipping/handling
$79.98 = Total

Upon fitting the clear lenses I also took the opporunity to put the projectors into LHD mode which prevents the 'kick up' often seen on non-xenon cars. This will then provide a crisp horizontal cutoff line.

Internal cutoff inside halogen light

Halogen projector unit

Here is a few shots of the car with the new clear lens fitted into the LHS(of image)/passenger/nearside...

Cutoff LHS Clear lens RHS Ribbed Lens

Cutoff LHS Clear lens only

Cutoff RHS Ribbed lens only

Glare before (glare looks worse in the photo than actual)

Glare after (glare looks worse in the photo than actual)

Flare around LHS light from ribbed lens

I am aware that my setup is still not legal, but I believe that I have done alot to make it safer and have less of an impact on other road users.
The only thing I am missing is the dynamic headlight levelling system that required sensors attached to the suspension system.
So for £125 or £100 if you live in the US, you can have a xenon equipped car that doesn't annoy everyone on the road. Enjoy!
Last edited by mintstuff on Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NOW SOLD - '03 3.0i Roadster
Modifications - 18" Z4M Alloys, Cruise, Xenons, AUX, 2nd First Aid Box, CDV Mod, Sound Generator foam, 6X9 Subwoofers, Sound Deadening, OTH
Repairs - Window Regulators, Rear Springs, Airbag Light

srhutch

Re: Halogen to Xenon Conversion

Post by srhutch » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:04 pm

I assume you cut and used the same headlights instead of buying donors.

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:13 pm

You can take those parts out of the headlight from the rear access panel. Thats how i would do it.
///M Interlagos. Champagne leather

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:22 pm

Dreamer wrote:You can take those parts out of the headlight from the rear access panel. Thats how i would do it.
Learn something new everyday. :)

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:13 pm

They look pretty good TBH.

J4YMO

Post by J4YMO » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:58 pm

Looks good.

Where did you fit the ballasts for these? Any pics?

Possible to fit it inside where the access panel for the headlight bulb is?

Cheers

mintstuff

Post by mintstuff » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:37 pm

J4YMO wrote:Looks good.

Where did you fit the ballasts for these? Any pics?

Possible to fit it inside where the access panel for the headlight bulb is?

Cheers
Ballasts are slimline and fitted inside the headlight itself. The anti-flicker capacitors and all other wiring is also inside, therefore no need to drill the back of the headlight cover and risk condensation!
Haven't got any photos of inside the headlight. It's not the tidiest installation due to the length of the wires, but it all fits in.
NOW SOLD - '03 3.0i Roadster
Modifications - 18" Z4M Alloys, Cruise, Xenons, AUX, 2nd First Aid Box, CDV Mod, Sound Generator foam, 6X9 Subwoofers, Sound Deadening, OTH
Repairs - Window Regulators, Rear Springs, Airbag Light

J4YMO

Post by J4YMO » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:34 pm

Thanks - sounds like a neat install if all wiring and the ballasts are in the headlight removing the need to drill.

Think im going to have to get these HID's ordered this week!

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:16 am

That's a neat piece of work to address one of my pet hates of simply shoving a xenon bulb in a halogen fitment and claiming all is good.

Good solution :thumbsup:

Interested in the ribbed halogen though as I've taken at least a dozen halogen (and xenon) to bits and never seen a ribbed lens.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:33 am

That's very interesting, especially as I have a HIDS Direct 50w kit myself. Thanks for posting :)

I've not had any negative reactions from other motorists and my Z4 just passed it's MOT on Monday with them fitted, so I'm not too sure mine are causing any glare. Someone on the z4-forum Skye trip did mention someone had quite bright lights but it was never traced back to me :D

I'll certainly have a look at my lenses though for the ribbed effect first.
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ranski » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:07 pm

I am also keen to upgrade mine but not keen to do it myself

Doing some google trawling ive found a number of companies that provide the service - email from www.bettercarlighting.co.uk detailed below

Any comments on the hardware or the fitter?

Hi Richard, and ;thank you for the email. We offer three levels of conversion for the Z4.
Level 1. Upgrade dipped beam only to HID Xenon 6000 Kelvin (factory Spec.) £299. 99
Level 2. Upgrade as above, plus change bulbs on high/main beam to
white light, high performance units. £349. 99
Level 3. Upgrade both dipped and main beams to HID Xenon. £499. 99

All three carry a 2 years parts and labour warrantly and we are insurance approved installers with a £5,000,000. 00 insurance policy for modifying cars. In all 3 cases, we upgrade the front sidelights to white light units free of charge.

Calll me if you want to take it further. If you can't get us on the land line, my mobile number is xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Best regards,
Gil Keane

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:37 pm

Ranksi, seriously they're fool-proof to fit - any idiot could do it (even I managed :D). You should manage to fit them yourself and save a couple of hundred quid. The HIDs Direct ones seem to have the best rep and are only £75 or so.
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

J4YMO

Post by J4YMO » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:21 pm

Mintstuff

Ordered the same hid kit that you had in the link above. It arrived today but comes with no instructions. Did yours? Or is it easy to work out once I'm inside the headlight?!

Cheers

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ranski » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:37 pm

a11y wrote:Ranksi, seriously they're fool-proof to fit - any idiot could do it (even I managed :D). You should manage to fit them yourself and save a couple of hundred quid. The HIDs Direct ones seem to have the best rep and are only £75 or so.
I don’t have the garage space for such a job (shared drive etc) nor the time or skill for any potential problems

No worries though as I paid a visit to http://www.conrad-anderson.co.uk/ today for them to look over the car and to run me through the process. All seems good and they seem a good outfit (They do various motor shows and they had a number of marques there + a huge Winnebago that was having cruise control and some TV's/DVD’s fitted)

I drop it off a week on Monday and they will fit the xenon's (6000w as they looked very white on the comparison he showed me) Costing me £150 for the labour which I’m happy with for piece of mind.

Will feedback with pre and post pics

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention

Exactmax

Post by Exactmax » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:05 am

Will it be okay to fit my ballasts inside the headlight casing as it says in the manual that they get hot? What's the best thing to attach the ballasts to the casing? Double sided tape or cable ties?

Has anyone got some pictures of their installation?

M
2004 BMW Z4 2.2i SE - Bright Red - Black Leather - Clear Brake Lights - Xenon Lights - Black Kidney Grills - Red Brake Calipers - Front Parking Sensors - 19" Redline LM Wheels - BMW Aero Spoiler - Eibach Pro Kit - Longlife Quad Exhaust System