Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Winter Wheels are on.....

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
AlanL

Winter Wheels are on.....

Post by AlanL » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:06 am

My new winter wheels arrived from Tirerack this last week and none too soon given the rains and cool temps that are predicted for the foreseeable future here in the Pacific Northwet.

The wheels are some super cheap rims that Tirerack carries under the name Sport Edition CD ($112/ea) with a 17" rim and the tires are Pirelli SotoZero 210 225/45HR-17. I did a short drive earlier this afternoon after I got them on and they felt like a very comfortable ride with a lot less road noise than my PS2s.

My wife and I are are off on a road trip starting in the morning in her X3 so I won't be able to post a better profile shot of the car until we get back next weekend.....

2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe - Silver Gray, Black Extended Leather, Dark Birch trim
Premium pkg, Sports Pkg, M seats, Clear Bra, Heated seats, NAV, DICE, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Winter Wheels are on.....

Post by WLH » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:24 am

Excellent Choice... :thumbsup:
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

fire-n-ice

Post by fire-n-ice » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:53 am

:drool: ...I think I'm in love with your car
In loving memory of TJ. "618 - Out of service and at home"

AlanL

Post by AlanL » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:05 pm

:oops:

Premium pkg, Sports Pkg, M seats, Clear Bra, Heated seats, NAV, DICE, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s

Rick Hunter
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Rick Hunter » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:14 pm

Wow, this early?

Nice job with the wheel/tire combo. I ended up just placing winter tires on my OEM rims. I'm headed for the mountains next weekend, so I'll be putting mine on early too. :)
'07 Imola Red Image Coupé

AlanL

Post by AlanL » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:01 am

Rick Hunter wrote:Wow, this early?

Nice job with the wheel/tire combo. I ended up just placing winter tires on my OEM rims. I'm headed for the mountains next weekend, so I'll be putting mine on early too. :)
Well the given is that I won't be in town to drive it again until Friday (scribbling this from a hotel room in Crescent City, CA) and the forecast is for nothing but rain and almost Nov temps for the next 10 days in Vancouver anyway so I figured why not. The Pirelli tires I put on are described as 3 season tires (fall through spring) instead of pure winter snow tires so I decided to go ahead and give them a try. I do have them on my wife's X3 and they are pretty nice for late Sept through May type temps and wet in the NW.

supremeart

Post by supremeart » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:16 am

Can you post a better side shot of your car with those wheels on? I was considering the same wheel package for my Z$ and was wondering how they look on the actual car (not the mockups on the site).

AlanL

Post by AlanL » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:41 am

Yeah - but you will have to be patient until this weekend when I am back home.

Rick Hunter
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Rick Hunter » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:19 am

You're right about the rain... Kinda depressing, huh? :(

AlanL

Post by AlanL » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:32 am

I promised a picture of the new wheels and took a quick snapshot yesterday. Lots of gray skies and scattered showers around so no exotic backdrop in this case.

The tires are not quite fully broken in yet so I can't really offer any definitive comments about how well they will do. So far they offer a pretty quiet and comfortable ride. They definitely don't offer the wheel well filling visual appeal of some of the 19" wheels I have seen shots of but happily they don't ride like 19" wheels either :D

It was amazing how rapidly the tire choices evaporated once you went up to an 18" rim.

Rick Hunter
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Rick Hunter » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:22 am

AlanL, those wheels look just fine. :thumbsup:

I got back from a 1500mile weekend trip myself with the Dunlop M3's, and they were awesome. I'll eventually post some pics from the trip (been v. busy lately).