Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

The 'Ring Trip (with pics)

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
csmith319

The 'Ring Trip (with pics)

Post by csmith319 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:43 pm

Just back from a trip to the 'Ring for the first time, also with a trip to Spa on the way back. Incredible time, best driving holiday I've had by far. 3 cars, my Z4, a 911 and an M5 - the Z4 wasn't embarrassed by any means in a straight line and could keep up before we hit silly speeds, but it was never left for dead.

The 'Ring was just so much fun - first couple of laps were a bit hairy as I learnt the circuit, but after that it was great - although a wet Sunday provided me with a few butt clenching moments. Great selection of cars, a few Z4Ms and also another 3.0Si - although it only had one seat it in (a proper bucket seat) and 17" wheels with semi slicks.

Quite a few accidents whilst we were there, mainly bikers. Majority of cars there were BMW and Porsche with a few exotica thrown in. Saw Sabine out in the Ring Taxi too.

On Monday we headed over to Spa where some friends were booked in, we couldn't take our cars on, but did go for some passenger laps - really good fun, and it was fantastic to have gone round one of the best F1 circuits ever - however, it doesn't even begin to compare with the Nurburgring.

Pics:
This is the 3.0 Si with one less seat and semi-slick tyres, here at Spa, but it was at the 'Ring too:
One of a few Z4M Coupes at Spa & the 'Ring
The M5 that I got some passenger laps in at the 'RIng and Spa - great car, amazing driver:
And here's my car...
Last edited by csmith319 on Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2006 Z4MR - Black on black
2007 997S - Cobalt Blue
2007 130i LE - Carbon Black, Lemon Leather and lots of toys - GONE!
2006 3.0si Sport Roadster - Silver, black hood & black leather, MV2's, stubby & ZHP gear knob - GONE!

Lance

Re: The 'Ring Trip

Post by Lance » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:19 pm

Eurohooner

Post by Eurohooner » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:20 pm

Glad you had a great time. Off for the first time in 3 weeks.
Z4MC. Interlagos blue. Black nappa. ITG filter. Eibach springs. 19's M3 alloys.

Siftah

Post by Siftah » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:27 pm

Sounds great - can't wait to see the pics and glad you back without scratching it! :)

Lance

Post by Lance » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:52 pm

Lance

Post by Lance » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:54 pm

Get enough interest and I'd be happy to sort out a forum ring trip.

csmith319

Re: The 'Ring Trip (with pics)

Post by csmith319 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:34 pm

Thanks for the links guys - the photos I posted are by a guy that comes to Sabine Schmitz's hotel (where we were staying) each evening and lets you see what he's done. If he doesn't have much he takes your reg and makes sure he gets some good shots the next day.

Another good site is this one:

http://www.nurburgringphotos.com/

You just type in your reg... quite worrying in other ways too!!!!

BTW - my brother and another friend who was with us both hired RenaultSport Clios for a day. 749 EUR, but that included 10 laps (almost 200 EUR if you were to buy them yourself), fuel (3/4 of tank over 10 laps) and insurance (though high excess as in all insurance for the ring, 8000 EUR on the car and 5000 EUR for third party).

The crash costs are interesting & scary - if you hit the armco, you are charged for its replacement. Whilst one guy there with an MX5 was charged 99 EUR, the record is 15,000 EUR just for armco replacement. Also, you get charged for track closure time if your crash is bad enough. Another guy there dropped a load of oil on the track causing a few other cars to crash - he was charged 2,500 EUR just for the clean up of the oil and will probably be made liable for a lot of other stuff too.

Lesson is - if you go, take it easy and enjoy it - don't go for lap times (I didn't time any of mine and nor did any of our group or anyone we met there).

Another thing - I have learnt more about my car than I ever knew before and have a HUGE amount more respect for its capabilities. In the dry it was great, however in the wet, the turn in on downhill bends (a lot to be fair with the wrong camber) wasn't as good as the Clios.

I'll definitely be going back next year.
2007 997S - Cobalt Blue
2006 3.0si Sport Roadster - Silver, black hood & black leather, MV2's, stubby & ZHP gear knob - GONE!

Eurohooner

Post by Eurohooner » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:32 pm

How was the drive down? We are getting to Calais Thursday evening, overnighting and then aiming to get to the ring for opening 2pm Friday. Any route tips?
Z4MC. Interlagos blue. Black nappa. ITG filter. Eibach springs. 19's M3 alloys.

csmith319

Post by csmith319 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:46 pm

The drive down was great - very fast, although our overall route was pretty leisurely - we left Friday morning - had lunch in Dunkurque until about 3pm then headed to Cologne where we stayed at The Dom (right in the centre), then headed over to the Ring for about 1.30 - it's only about 1 hr - 1 hr 30 from Cologne.

The main thing though is to try and avoid Brussels at rush our - their ring road is a nightmare and we got stuf in that for about an hour and half on the way out. There is a way round to the North which is only 10 - 15 miles longer. To be honest we let the Sat Navs do a lot of the work though - the Tom Tom made a much better route than the BMW one in the M5, but I couldn't tell you the exact route.

We stayed here: http://www.am-tiergarten.de/en/home/ at the Ring, great place. Rooms are pretty basic, but the bar and restaurant are great fun and the breakfast is good too. It's literally a mile or so from the Ring entrance.
2007 997S - Cobalt Blue

Lance

Post by Lance » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:32 pm

Route from Calais is a doddle.......E40 direction Brussels, Stay on the E40 at the Brussels ring road direction Leige/Luik (Luik is local for Leige), Stay on E40 until E42 direction ST Vith/Vervier/Spa, follow E42 until it merges into the 410 direction Prum/Gerolstein/Kelberg. Stay on 410 until Kelberg where you will pick up Nurburgring signs.

Just remember to stick to the E40 Leige at the Brussels ring road.

In the 30+ times or so that I have been, I've rarely encountered problems at Brussels, although late May coming back, it was a nightmare, even on the bike.

Try and leave Calais with a full tank, get the other side of Brussels and then stop at the 2nd fuel stop on the E40 (Total garage) for coffee/food/fuel.

Cheers
Lance

bigshurv

Post by bigshurv » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:28 pm

Lance, whereabouts in Northants are you, I'm in Roade.Did my 1st ring trip last bank holiday, loved it.Not sure I'd want to do it on a bike though.I said when I came back that I'd done it and didn't want to go back, but already I do.I think it may become an expensive hobby!!!

Lance

Post by Lance » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:59 pm

To avoid Brussels on the way back, stay on the 410 to Luxemburg (cheap fuel & fags), then on to Bastonge for lunch in the Market square, then hit the autoroute home avoiding Brussels. Add 2 hours for this route though.

Lance

Post by Lance » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:05 pm

Mr Big, my daughter went to school in Roade, I'm just the other side of j15 in Hardingstone.

I actually prefer the Ring by bike, as I'm a better rider than driver and am far more confident on 2 wheels. Still getting to grips with driving cars quick and have much to learn, mainly around grip levels.

bigshurv

Post by bigshurv » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:08 pm

Know what you mean, I'm a biker 1st and foremost,my Z is my 1st sports car and I love it, but am still learning to drive it fast. A bike is no problem.Praps if you got to organise a ring trip , I may be able to summon up the courage to take my bike :o

Lance

Post by Lance » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:22 pm

Mr Big, what do you ride?

The secret to a good Ring trip is to include some weekdays when the track is quieter. I try to include a Thursday or a Monday and have done many many laps without seeing another vehicle on track.

Weekends are great for atmosphere but not so good for quality track time.

Where did you stay when you went over?