Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Retrofitting folding mirrors.

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flimper » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:21 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:18 pm
flimper wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:13 pm
Ducklakeview wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:03 pm

Lol, the problem isn't the fitting, it's getting hold of the things!

Mike
I've got them, they just don't work properly :(
In what way?

Mike
They fold up OK but the passenger side one likes to stay there.
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:22 pm

Could be the position sensor, they have a microswitch in the base - It could be sticking?

Mike

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:35 am

ASP_KOMFORT_EINKLAPP - Outside mirror closing with remote (but no option for Open with remote, so maybe not do-able? Would love to see you crack it)

Aussenspiegel - Outside mirror
AUT_SPIEGELVERSTELLUNG - Automatic mirror adjustment
BEIKLAPP_B_KOMFORTSCHL_GM - Comfort folding (mirrors)
BEIKLAPPEN_B_KOMFORTSCHL - Comfort folding (mirrors)
MEMORY_SP_ABKLAPPEN_GM - Outside mirror tilt down to memory position in reverse
MEMORY_SPIEGELABKLAPPEN - Outside mirror tilt down to memory position in reverse
SPIEGEL_BORDSTEIN_AUTOM - Outside mirror tilt down in reverse
SPIEGEL_KOMFORT_EINKLAPP - Outside mirror folding in with remote
SPIEGELMEMORY_GM - Outside mirror memory (General Module)
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:11 am

enzed4 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:35 am ASP_KOMFORT_EINKLAPP - Outside mirror closing with remote (but no option for Open with remote, so maybe not do-able? Would love to see you crack it)

Aussenspiegel - Outside mirror
AUT_SPIEGELVERSTELLUNG - Automatic mirror adjustment
BEIKLAPP_B_KOMFORTSCHL_GM - Comfort folding (mirrors)
BEIKLAPPEN_B_KOMFORTSCHL - Comfort folding (mirrors)
MEMORY_SP_ABKLAPPEN_GM - Outside mirror tilt down to memory position in reverse
MEMORY_SPIEGELABKLAPPEN - Outside mirror tilt down to memory position in reverse
SPIEGEL_BORDSTEIN_AUTOM - Outside mirror tilt down in reverse
SPIEGEL_KOMFORT_EINKLAPP - Outside mirror folding in with remote
SPIEGELMEMORY_GM - Outside mirror memory (General Module)
Cheers Shayne,

Really need to get to grips with this ncs/inpa!

Mike

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:25 pm

I don't think we have the mirror memory module, I've turned on all the ones for dip in reverse and nothing works.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:44 pm

Ok, so did a little digging into this last night.

The mirrors fold/unfold when pin 16 at the drivers door switch is grounded. This is the blue wire with a violet trace, and it is grounded to pin 2 at the switch, which is the brown wire.

Now I was originally thinking of piggy backing a relay at the GM5 module, which is conveniently near to the mirror module, and having that close using a signal from the GM5, and grounding the blue/violet, BUT this probably won't work on my car as I have a gaptech fitted. I think the multiple remote presses will result in the mirrors folding in, out and then in again when I close the roof/lock the car, and out, in and out again when I unlock/drop the roof so to speak. I therefore have to do a little thinking on mine.

I think I'll just link them to the ignition, ie close when turned off, open when started.

Mike

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:14 pm

Sounds like a much better idea mate, girlfriend has a fiesta and the mirrors fold on lock/unlock - pointless when you're just going out with no intention of driving, or forget something and have to go back.
Depending on the difficulty I'd be tempted to think about IGN ON for unfold and ACC OFF for fold, e.g. if I wanted to wait with the engine off but leave again. Assuming that if they were out IGN ON again wouldn't cause issues.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Hagasan

Post by Hagasan » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:51 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:44 pm Ok, so did a little digging into this last night.

The mirrors fold/unfold when pin 16 at the drivers door switch is grounded. This is the blue wire with a violet trace, and it is grounded to pin 2 at the switch, which is the brown wire.

Now I was originally thinking of piggy backing a relay at the GM5 module, which is conveniently near to the mirror module, and having that close using a signal from the GM5, and grounding the blue/violet, BUT this probably won't work on my car as I have a gaptech fitted. I think the multiple remote presses will result in the mirrors folding in, out and then in again when I close the roof/lock the car, and out, in and out again when I unlock/drop the roof so to speak. I therefore have to do a little thinking on mine.

I think I'll just link them to the ignition, ie close when turned off, open when started.

Mike
I'd be very interested to hear if you find a solution to this please. I'm quite new to these cars. While I'm happy enough doing proven wiiring mods etc I'm not familiar with how these newer "moduled" cars work... I've also got the folding mirrors and a Gaptech so having the mirrors fold in on either ignition off or locking with the remote then opening again on return/startup would be great. Seems odd how they're described as "autofold" when they're more like manual-electric fold by way of a button.... a bit of a mis-description.

Cheers,

Gary

9designs

Post by 9designs » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:39 am

Are you working on a pre facelift car... think mine might be more tricky, I have facelift car but I think the parts and looms etc are from a pre car. Plus know where to plug the module into, another piece of deleted loom I guess on facelift cars.
57 Plate 3.0 Si Auto SilverGrey - Red Leather
E89 35iS Space Grey - Red Leather. SOLD
56 Plate 3.0 SI Manual - Black with Red Leather- Scorpion exhaust, BC coil overs SOLD
54 Plate 3.0 SE Auto - Silver with Red Leather. SOLD

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:51 am

Mirrors being open when exiting the car can be a help if there is traffic.
If the mirrors are closed you cant use them to see if the road is clear before opening the door to get out.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:03 am

9designs wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:39 am Are you working on a pre facelift car... think mine might be more tricky, I have facelift car but I think the parts and looms etc are from a pre car. Plus know where to plug the module into, another piece of deleted loom I guess on facelift cars.
Yes, mine is a pre facelift, but the looms came from a facelift - Are you sure that the module plug isn't there on facelift cars? t can be a bit tricky to find.

Mike

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:04 am

Nictrix wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:51 am Mirrors being open when exiting the car can be a help if there is traffic.
If the mirrors are closed you cant use them to see if the road is clear before opening the door to get out.
Yes, I was thinking this myself after having them fitted a few days and using manually. You forget that it's natural to use the mirror before opening the door!

Apparently they CAN be coded to fold in on locking, it's the folding out that is the issue, I'm working on having them fold on locking and unfold when the engine is started.

Mike

9designs

Post by 9designs » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:32 am

Believe the module goes behind the glove box etc, had that all out and my head up there when routing the cruise harness through. Couldn’t see anywhere to plug it. Lol we could have swapped looms
57 Plate 3.0 Si Auto SilverGrey - Red Leather
E89 35iS Space Grey - Red Leather. SOLD
56 Plate 3.0 SI Manual - Black with Red Leather- Scorpion exhaust, BC coil overs SOLD
54 Plate 3.0 SE Auto - Silver with Red Leather. SOLD

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:42 am

9designs wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:32 am Believe the module goes behind the glove box etc, had that all out and my head up there when routing the cruise harness through. Couldn’t see anywhere to plug it. Lol we could have swapped looms
It's right up at the top left corner behind the dash once you take the glove box out, up behind the metal brackets, and wrapped into the loom with the fabric tape. Taking the air vent out may help you spot it.

Yup, could have swapped looms, I had to alter the drivers side, but my passenger one was fully pinned.

Mike

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:29 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:04 am
Nictrix wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:51 am Mirrors being open when exiting the car can be a help if there is traffic.
Yes, I was thinking this myself after having them fitted a few days and using manually. You forget that it's natural to use the mirror before opening the door!

Apparently they CAN be coded to fold in on locking, it's the folding out that is the issue, I'm working on having them fold on locking and unfold when the engine is started.

Mike
Sounds like the best practical solution, let me know if you need any help with NCS.