Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Coupe not serviced - big problems ahead?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
the gill

Coupe not serviced - big problems ahead?

Post by the gill » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:30 pm

Hi all - need your advice.

Thought I'd found a Coupe reg Oct 07. First and only service 3 years later at 29K miles (Oct 10). So it has missed at least one service. Car supposedly drives fine and was an AUC car when sold to current owner in 2008 (he thought incorrectly that the supplying dealer had serviced the car when sold to him).
My first thought is walk away. Is there evidence of the 3.0si engine throwing it's toys out the pram with poor early servicing? I'd probably say the car is worth £1K less with the lack of history - what do you think?
Cheers
08 Z4C

ZED_NOT_ZEE

Re: Coupe not serviced - big problems ahead?

Post by ZED_NOT_ZEE » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:02 pm

as long as an oil change was done I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The first 'service' is an 'inspection'. If that inspection wasn't done and there were problems they would've made become evident long before that second service took place.

To be honest I do look it kinda favorably from the perspective that the car didn't need a servicing because of a failure in its first 3 years. Could be a sign that it isn't a lemon which had to be repeatedly taken back to have issues fixed soon after delivery.
Z4 3.0i SMG - Sport/Prem/Nav. Gray on Red (year-round beater)
e46 M3 SMG II - Cold/Heat/Lux. Black on Black (summer beater)
e36 M3 5-Speed - Cold/Lux. Black on Black (winter beater)
Suzuki GS500F - No options. Black/White (city beater)

the gill

Post by the gill » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:32 pm

The only oil change was at 29K when the car was 3 years old (it has only done a few 1000 miles since).
08 Z4C

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:35 pm

Only proviso would be if the 29k miles had been a lot of short town journeys, If it runs and drives well and was checked/serviced (and presumably MOT'd) last October I would beat the seller up on the price and grab a bargain, as ZED' says nothing was needed under warrantee :thumbsup:
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Bradders75

Post by Bradders75 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:36 pm

It's not necessarily going to mean mechanical problems are ahead but it shows a slightly careless owner in my opinion. I can't believe anyone would buy a high value car and 'assume' anything about the service history - looking through the service book would be one of the first things I'd do. Does the asking price reflect the lack of FSH? It should do as you'll no doubt be beaten down on the same issue when you come to sell.
2003 Z4 3.0i SE | nav / cruise / PDC / bluetooth / ellipsoids / xenons / clear indicators / m-sport seats / m-sport MFSW / ZHP / intravee |

2014 F56 MINI Cooper S | for bends |

2016 F20 M135i | for straights |

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:50 pm

the service issue as just confused me, my car is 2 years old and as yet it still says i do not need a service for another 9000 miles, but then i am told it should be service in 2 years, so why does the car say another 9000 miles???????????

ZED_NOT_ZEE

Post by ZED_NOT_ZEE » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:04 pm

Taz x wrote:the service issue as just confused me, my car is 2 years old and as yet it still says i do not need a service for another 9000 miles, but then i am told it should be service in 2 years, so why does the car say another 9000 miles???????????
the car will notify you when it needs an inspection or oil service based on your driving habits and the types of stresses the car has been under. (i.e. cold starts for example.)

rule of thumb amongst owners is to do an oil change at the 'half way mark' between BMW recommended oil changes.

who told you the car needs servicing in 2 years?

Also to the OP - I have a tough time believing that the car was driven for 29,000miles and the car didn't at least ask for more oil. Should ask the owner what oil he's been using to top it off, or where he took it to be topped off.
Z4 3.0i SMG - Sport/Prem/Nav. Gray on Red (year-round beater)
e46 M3 SMG II - Cold/Heat/Lux. Black on Black (summer beater)
e36 M3 5-Speed - Cold/Lux. Black on Black (winter beater)
Suzuki GS500F - No options. Black/White (city beater)

the gill

Post by the gill » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:06 pm

Price is negotiable based on what I've found out - for me it knocks £1K off the car. I'm mainly concerned about bore wear in the engine which may not rear its ugly head until later. Interested in what you all think though. Wondered if there had been many engine failures on the 3.0si?
08 Z4C

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:09 pm

only problem i am aware of is the N52 noisy engine issue, these 3.0ltr engines will go for miles

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:27 pm

ZED_NOT_ZEE wrote:who told you the car needs servicing in 2 years?
BMW Z4 Owner's Manual wrote:The BMW Maintenance System includes the Engine Oil Service and Inspections I and II. Determining the maintenance intervals based on the actual loads on the vehicle covers every kind of operating situation. Minimal use drivers, who drive fewer than about 6,200 miles/10,000 km per year, should nevertheless have the oil changed at least every 2 years since engine oil deteriorates over time, regardless of use.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

the gill

Post by the gill » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:28 pm

ZED_NOT_ZEE wrote:
Also to the OP - I have a tough time believing that the car was driven for 29,000miles and the car didn't at least ask for more oil. Should ask the owner what oil he's been using to top it off, or where he took it to be topped off.
Good point - I'll certainly ask that thanks.
08 Z4C

the gill

Post by the gill » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:38 pm

The 2 year interval is stated in the owners manual - Pg96.
http://www.bmwsections.com/_files/zs/20 ... adster.zip

My current car is oil change every 6000 miles. :|
08 Z4C

alansabout

Post by alansabout » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:47 pm

I would not be happy with lack of service, you will not be able to get warranty on it and it will have an impact when you come to sell
07 Z4R 3.0si Silver. now sold but am staying put! I like it here.

Z4coupebeaver

Post by Z4coupebeaver » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:22 am

I doubt the car will throw a spanner in the next few thousand miles and synthetic oils do a good job of protecting an engine but a lot of crap builds up in 29K miles.

In 27K miles, my car has had 3 oil changes - so now on its 4th lot of oil!!!

Its a personal choice but for me - I'd walk away.

On a similar note, my neighbour bought his car thinking it had a service (not a Zed but some Merc 4x4), it didn't and the engine did go bang as a result of an oil issue. He was lucky as the dealer fudged the paperwork to get him a new engine but you may not be so lucky.

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:39 am

mmm-five wrote:
ZED_NOT_ZEE wrote:who told you the car needs servicing in 2 years?
BMW Z4 Owner's Manual wrote:The BMW Maintenance System includes the Engine Oil Service and Inspections I and II. Determining the maintenance intervals based on the actual loads on the vehicle covers every kind of operating situation. Minimal use drivers, who drive fewer than about 6,200 miles/10,000 km per year, should nevertheless have the oil changed at least every 2 years since engine oil deteriorates over time, regardless of use.
so why does the service light not come on when the car is 2 years old