Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Service Indicator Reset

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Justlovethelook

Service Indicator Reset

Post by Justlovethelook » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:58 pm

Hi All - Does anyone know if its possible to reset this yourself?
2006 2.0i Sport, Sports Seats, 108's, sterrling silver, new stubby(gave in to peer pressure!!) new discs and mintex pads, recent full wheel alignment, ZHP

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Service Indicator Reset

Post by AlanJ » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:41 pm

Try this:

- Iginition OFF (POS 0)
- Press and Hold the trip odometer button while turning key to Position 1 (Accesory)
- Keep the button depressed (about 5 seconds) until you see 'Oil Service' or 'Inspection' with 'Reset' or 'Re' in the display
- Press the button again and hold for approx. 5 seconds until 'Reset' or 'Re' flashes
- While the display is flashing, briefly press the button again to reset the Service Interval.

The onboard computer will record this has been done and the info extracted so be sure resetting corresponds with the appropriate service orr it could come back to bite you on resale.
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

Justlovethelook

Post by Justlovethelook » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:13 pm

Cool.....thanks for this. The car is being serviced by a mate and he is a mechanic at a ford dealer but is ex BMW...just not sure if he has the kit that does this.....it's likely he does but wanted to know just incase. Thanks.....at least I know it will be sorted either way. :D
2006 2.0i Sport, Sports Seats, 108's, sterrling silver, new stubby(gave in to peer pressure!!) new discs and mintex pads, recent full wheel alignment, ZHP

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:27 pm

I used my trusted local outfit to do my inspection 2 and brake fluid change with OEM parts but they forgot to reset the service indicator. They were very embarrassed and said to bring it in which is a bit of a fag to be honest, so I tried AlanJ's method and it worked, so thanks Alan :thumbsup:

If you also need to reset the brake fluid service indicator (clock symbol) try this which also worked for me,

- Iginition OFF (POS 0)
- Press and Hold the trip odometer button while turning key to Position 1 (Accessory)
- Keep the button depressed (about 5 seconds) until you see 'Oil Service' or 'Inspection' with 'Reset' or 'Re' in the display
- Press the button again and the display will change to 'Brake Fluid' with the square clock symbol
- Press again and hold for about 5 seconds which resets it
- Release the button and switch off the ignition,

The clock symbol should be gone from your start-up service display and will pop up again after two years.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Nova2k7

Post by Nova2k7 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:28 pm

Ewazix wrote:I used my trusted local outfit to do my inspection 2 and brake fluid change with OEM parts but they forgot to reset the service indicator. They were very embarrassed and said to bring it in which is a bit of a fag to be honest, so I tried AlanJ's method and it worked, so thanks Alan :thumbsup:

If you also need to reset the brake fluid service indicator (clock symbol) try this which also worked for me,

- Iginition OFF (POS 0)
- Press and Hold the trip odometer button while turning key to Position 1 (Accessory)
- Press the button again and the display will change to 'Brake Fluid' with the square clock symbol
- Press again and hold for about 5 seconds which resets it
- Release the button and switch off the ignition,

The clock symbol should be gone from your start-up service display and will pop up again after two years.
Just done this as my garage forgot! Worked a treat

cre8toruk

Service Indicator Reset

Post by cre8toruk » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:11 pm

Sorry already posted about this... I don't have a key... on an 05 Z4 any idea what I need to do ?
BMW Z4 E89 28i - Heated everything....
Lotus Elise S MY 2007 (Crumple zone detected stationery vehicle)
Porsche Boxster
Lotus Elise 111S
Mazda RX8
VW Scirocco GTS
Honda Civic Type R

G600

Service Indicator Reset

Post by G600 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:48 pm

cre8toruk wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:11 pm Sorry already posted about this... I don't have a key... on an 05 Z4 any idea what I need to do ?
No key? How do you start it then?
E85 3.0

cre8toruk

Service Indicator Reset

Post by cre8toruk » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:18 pm

you know what I mean... the instructions say to turn the key to position 0 but i can only push the key in the slot
BMW Z4 E89 28i - Heated everything....
Lotus Elise S MY 2007 (Crumple zone detected stationery vehicle)
Porsche Boxster
Lotus Elise 111S
Mazda RX8
VW Scirocco GTS
Honda Civic Type R

Tinker15

Service Indicator Reset

Post by Tinker15 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:37 pm

cre8toruk wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:18 pm you know what I mean... the instructions say to turn the key to position 0 but i can only push the key in the slot
Do you have an E89 because this thread is for E85/E86?
E89 sDrive 30i
Jaguar XF 3.0D
TVR Chimaera 450 (now sold)

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Service Indicator Reset

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:54 pm

cre8toruk wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:18 pm you know what I mean... the instructions say to turn the key to position 0 but i can only push the key in the slot
Try searching for "BMW E89 hidden menu" and you should find videos on youtube. It worked for my E90 3 Series after I had replaced the cabin filter. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Service Indicator Reset

Post by Ewazix » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:54 pm

I'm not sure anybody knows what you mean TBH, your signature says you have an e89 but you are asking about an 05 car with a slot-in key and are on an e85/6 thread :idunno:
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost