Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Performed the VANOs Repair Procedure Today

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
powerontap

Re: Performed the VANOs Repair Procedure Today

Post by powerontap » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:41 pm

+49 wrote:Hummm Interesting..

My car:
Late 2003
3.0i M54
231bhp model

The main thing that really interests me in the repair is the hesitation sub 3k and …the car does this when at 2000-2500rpm if I let if the thorrtle and gentle apply back I feel hesitation in the engine… or kinda a hiccup in power… I though maybe it’s just the way they are. Don’t get my wrong if I just stick to a max shift point of 3k the car makes very good progress and is plenty fast enough for most applications and I can easily keep it below 2k and keep with normal traffic.But it’s just not completely smooth feeling sometimes with the hesitations…not all the time just 30% of the time maybe. Not what I would expect from the famous bmw straight 6.
I have the same specs and problem than you, as mentioned above. It stops doing it as soon as I reset the throttle. It does start doing it again after a while, so I simply reset every week and it runs just fine, with plenty of ''powerontap''!
Go Topless

czechT698

Post by czechT698 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:18 am

My Beisan kit will arrive shortly... :) Sometimes I have the symtoms mentioned before in this thread. Anyways, thenks to Shipkiller for pointing this out and providing me with extra assistance - remeber, while at it, its also worthy to change the bejo washers and gaskets - available at dealer. :)
--./......................\.--
(OO\ (||||) (||||) /OO)
|__|....................|__|
sterling grey 2.5i roadster, black leather, //M Fahrewerk packet, Sport packet, Heated seats, Comfort pack, Xenon and sexy 103s 17" with Pirelli ZeroNero

Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Shipkiller » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:55 am

czechT698,

Read the Beisan How-To several times so you understand really what you are doing. While they (the procedures) were developed on the E46 chassis, it is almost the same. Just getting the interference out of the way.
Like I have said before, it is not hard, it is time consuming. It took me about four (4) hours the first time.

The hardest thing I have found (I have done four (4) cars) is that each car is a little different with respect to how much clearance between the VANOs and the front cross brace. On two of the cars I was able to get the VANOs out without too much trouble. On two cars, I needed about an extra 1/8" more clearance and had to figure out how I was going to get it.
Drives 2008 Z4MC (His) & 2003 Z4 Roadster (Her's)

Kaide

Post by Kaide » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:04 am

Shipkiller, Would you be willing to do another? If you've already done 4, I'd definitely trust you with mine! (that and I know you nukes are smart fellas). If you're interested send PM.
03 Z4 3.0i / 6 Speed / Dinan CAI / Dinan Ram Air / Dinan Stage 2 Software / Dinan Strut Bar / My car
98 Honda Superhawk / 101whp

"Life is a game of relationships"

Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Shipkiller » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:15 am

I don't mind, but that' a long haul down here (Va Beach) for you.

I am currently up in Groton, CT. right now. The only issue I have is my work schedule for the next several months.

I am leaving here at the end of the month, and have to come backup in May for a week. Plus, my wife is having surgery the middle of April.

I am NOT a nuke.... I am better.... :rofl: :rofl:

Kaide

Post by Kaide » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:32 am

No problem, best wishes to her and a speedy recovery!
I'll be calling this indy tomorrow, see what he says, I'll post it up here if I get it done. As for the trip... to get my car taken care of right, well worth it!
If you free up before July let me know please. July only because I'm then moving to Florida, so the trip would definitely be out of the question.
03 Z4 3.0i / 6 Speed / Dinan CAI / Dinan Ram Air / Dinan Stage 2 Software / Dinan Strut Bar / My car
98 Honda Superhawk / 101whp

"Life is a game of relationships"

alexman

Post by alexman » Tue May 25, 2010 9:23 am

I may be missing this somewhere but is the M engine affecting and in need of this?

has anyone pinned down roughly how long (or for how many miles) on average the stock rings last before they need changing?
Z4M Roadster, Red Leather Seats, Fully Loaded

Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Shipkiller » Tue May 25, 2010 12:05 pm

No, the S54 is not effected.

Yes they have determined roughly how long it take. If you would have read the posts and links more closely, you would have read that it only takes around 20K miles. Less if you take age into account.

This issue was fixed on the 2005 model year engines and later if I remember correctly.

seanodwyer

Post by seanodwyer » Tue May 25, 2010 3:47 pm

At the risk of looking like an idiot..... is the 2.0 4 cylinder engine affected?
2005, 2.0L E85, Toledo Blue. Mods: Stubby, ZHP gear knob, cruise control, AUX, Cup Holders, De-badged, Brodit Iphone 4 holder, OEM hood cover, Black Grilles, OEM mesh windblocker, Nokia CK-100 car kit, tinted rear lights, ACS pedal set and loads of TLC

Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Shipkiller » Tue May 25, 2010 10:42 pm

That question is actually a good one. I do not know but my gut thought is no. I think it (the vanos issue) only affected single Vanos units for the M50/M52 or S50/S52 engine along with the M52TU, M54, and M56 dual Vanos engines.

Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know off the top of my head what engine designation for the four cylinder is. But give me two minutes I will find out.

Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Shipkiller » Tue May 25, 2010 10:45 pm

Less than two minutes..

Your engine is the N46B20.

pkerrigan21

Post by pkerrigan21 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:57 pm

I know this may be too late of a post but I thought what the heck.

I went to the dealer and they told me I needed a new Vanos Solenoid - They said it would cost $500.00 installed. Would this just be replacing the o rings and gaskets just like everyone else did? If so I am game to do this, I just want to know if I am going down the right line?

Cool Z4

Post by Cool Z4 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:21 pm

For those of you who remember Zeta Tre from past years. He did his and he also did quite a few others including mine. As stated here, what a MAJOR difference in performance and I had mine done at 200K miles :D :thumbsup: Too bad I don't have that 2003 2.5i anymore. I miss the Maldivas blue color. :(
I did see the orginal rubber seals and they were very hard and dry, whic caused my Vanos to "flop" around inside. With the new seals, they were nice and tight once again. :driving:
ImageImage

pkerrigan21

Post by pkerrigan21 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:27 pm

Cool Z4 wrote:For those of you who remember Zeta Tre from past years. He did his and he also did quite a few others including mine. As stated here, what a MAJOR difference in performance and I had mine done at 200K miles :D :thumbsup: Too bad I don't have that 2003 2.5i anymore. I miss the Maldivas blue color. :(
I did see the orginal rubber seals and they were very hard and dry, whic caused my Vanos to "flop" around inside. With the new seals, they were nice and tight once again. :driving:

Just wanted to know if you thought this would cure my problem below:

I went to the dealer and they told me I needed a new Vanos Solenoid - They said it would cost $500.00 installed. Would this just be replacing the o rings and gaskets just like everyone else did? If so I am game to do this, I just want to know if I am going down the right line?