Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

z4 35i fuel consumption

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

z4 35i fuel consumption

Post by Smartbear » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:03 pm

sachak wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:51 pmAll I am interested in is how many Km you get to a tank. I can reset my km/L setting while im on the highway and get a reading that is as good as a ford fiesta eco boost if I want its really easy.

I don't want to argue or come off the wrong way but seriously all I want is how many km/miles you got from when you filled the tank to when the reserve light switches on. EVERYTHING else is irrelevant to me at this stage.

Just to give you an example my car is reading 11.3 L/100km which is actually damn good for town driving and that equates to 31.92035 miles per gallon (Imperial) .....Trust me its a lie that I care very little about because what that thing says and what I get to a tank of fuel are two very different things. I have been able to fool every single BMW I have ever owned by resetting the trip meter while on the highway going down a hill and then letting it take the rest of the week to slowly creep up but never really getting to what the car is actually using. can prove this by using the app fuelly <-- that s**t is accurate. not the rubbish in our cars.

sorry to come off like that but honestly I asked for tank mileage for a reason so I can try get to the bottom of what these cars should actually average compared to what I am getting and I have tried many different styles of driving and tried different maps on the car with different setups.
If you can get great mpg on level ground (not cheating by going downhill) by resetting or going to real time fuel consumption then there can’t be much wrong with your car.
Are you sure it’s not just your driving style?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Busterboo

z4 35i fuel consumption

Post by Busterboo » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:35 pm

sachak wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:51 pmAll I am interested in is how many Km you get to a tank.
295 miles (474.75648 kilometres) from fill-up of 95 RON Unleaded to the 2nd warning at 30 miles, at which point I fill the tank again.

35is, with almost no long-distance driving and lots of quick stuff where possible.
Vidi, vici, veni

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

z4 35i fuel consumption

Post by ph001 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:58 am

sachak wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:25 pmso I spoke to a few people and found that because my car has no catalytic converters the o2 sensors after the cats which now sit on catless down pipes may be setting the mixture to rich which is causing the terrible fuel consumption.

So I just had catalytic converter foolers(mini cats) fitted to the car and hopefully this sorts the problem out. so far I haven't had the error come back. but the error is intermittent and usually only happens when I drive for a little while like on the motorway or something.

Will let you guys know what happens.
The o2 sensors after the cats are not used to set the mixture at all (thats the job if the pre-cat ones). The post cat sensors are just used to check the efficiency of the catalytic converters.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

z4 35i fuel consumption

Post by ph001 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:59 am

ph001 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:58 am
sachak wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:25 pmso I spoke to a few people and found that because my car has no catalytic converters the o2 sensors after the cats which now sit on catless down pipes may be setting the mixture to rich which is causing the terrible fuel consumption.

So I just had catalytic converter foolers(mini cats) fitted to the car and hopefully this sorts the problem out. so far I haven't had the error come back. but the error is intermittent and usually only happens when I drive for a little while like on the motorway or something.

Will let you guys know what happens.
The o2 sensors after the cats are not used to set the mixture at all (thats the job of the pre-cat ones). The post cat sensors are just used to check the efficiency of the catalytic converters.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

sachak

z4 35i fuel consumption

Post by sachak » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:26 am

Smartbear wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:03 pm
sachak wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:51 pm sorry to come off like that but honestly I asked for tank mileage for a reason so I can try get to the bottom of what these cars should actually average compared to what I am getting and I have tried many different styles of driving and tried different maps on the car with different setups.
If you can get great mpg on level ground (not cheating by going downhill) by resetting or going to real time fuel consumption then there can’t be much wrong with your car.
Are you sure it’s not just your driving style?
Rob
Guys please read what I'm typing... :|
I have said I have tried many different driving styles and different performance mods and maps.
I also said that if I drive hard I get +- 250km to a tank and if I drive without ever boosting and keeping the revs below 2000rpm I get max around 280km to a tank. This has been an ongoing dilemma for going on 8 months now where I am unable to break the 300km to a tank barrier which is obviously not right.

After the carbon clean and the cat foolers(mini cats) I am now sitting on half a tank with 240km done so far so lets see how many more km I get before the reserve light comes on. In this time I have done a dyno to see what my graph looks like and what power the car is making and I have put my foot down around 3 times.

Also on another note. Since I had the cat foolers(mini cats) fitted I haven't had the fuel mixture set at Rich error come up again yet.

Marekdawg

z4 35i fuel consumption

Post by Marekdawg » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:32 pm

sachak wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:26 am
Guys please read what I'm typing... :|
I have said I have tried many different driving styles and different performance mods and maps.
I also said that if I drive hard I get +- 250km to a tank and if I drive without ever boosting and keeping the revs below 2000rpm I get max around 280km to a tank. This has been an ongoing dilemma for going on 8 months now where I am unable to break the 300km to a tank barrier which is obviously not right.

After the carbon clean and the cat foolers(mini cats) I am now sitting on half a tank with 240km done so far so lets see how many more km I get before the reserve light comes on. In this time I have done a dyno to see what my graph looks like and what power the car is making and I have put my foot down around 3 times.

Also on another note. Since I had the cat foolers(mini cats) fitted I haven't had the fuel mixture set at Rich error come up again yet.
Just a thought, probably useless at this point but with all the other issues you found from previous owners I don't suppose they could have modified the tank at all / broken something? doubtful since all the work you have done without noticing but worth a look?
Silver E89 Sdrive30I Msport. Black roof and other bits. :D :driving:

sachak

z4 35i fuel consumption

Post by sachak » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:32 pm

Marekdawg wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:32 pm
Just a thought, probably useless at this point but with all the other issues you found from previous owners I don't suppose they could have modified the tank at all / broken something? doubtful since all the work you have done without noticing but worth a look?
That is a good question but I have actually checked the tank out and all the connecting bits etc all seems good in the hood. nothing has been tampered with there at all.

Marekdawg

z4 35i fuel consumption

Post by Marekdawg » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:16 pm

sachak wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:32 pm
That is a good question but I have actually checked the tank out and all the connecting bits etc all seems good in the hood. nothing has been tampered with there at all.
I thought you may have already checked having seen your other thread. Another thought from my own experience in Harare, is your car safe from the lovely chaps who like to come along and siphon your fuel at night? :headbang: Again doubtful but just another thought.
Silver E89 Sdrive30I Msport. Black roof and other bits. :D :driving:

sachak

z4 35i fuel consumption

Post by sachak » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:30 am

Marekdawg wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:16 pm
I thought you may have already checked having seen your other thread. Another thought from my own experience in Harare, is your car safe from the lovely chaps who like to come along and siphon your fuel at night? :headbang: Again doubtful but just another thought.
hahahaha That is a funny question I wont lie. You know I don't live in the jungle right? I live in South Africa. My car is parked in a lock up garage everyday in a secure complex. and at work its parked at the office in the parking lot situated inside the building.

I actually have less hassles with my car here in South Africa than what I did when I lived in the UK.

When I lived in the UK my car got broken into a few times. My door locks got destroyed, I came out to a car with broken windows sometimes. Those chavs are another story, very menacing to society and extremely destructive. I remember walking down the street on my way to work the one morning and every single car parked on the side of the road had a smashed windscreen!

We don't have that issue here in South Africa because most places have lock up garages and if not then its because its in a safe complex with car ports with no way for anyone to come into the complex. Even if you goto a shopping center you get nice underground parking to park in. No one parks on the side of the road in the sun all day here like what I had to do when I stayed in the UK.
Look there are places in SA where you have to park on the side of the road for an hour or two but most places you goto have big parking spaces that are usually underground or under cover and they are very safe.

Also I don't live in Harare. I live in Sandton in Johannesburg. :)

Busterboo

z4 35i fuel consumption

Post by Busterboo » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:16 am

Does fuel consumption rise in the RSA's (hot) summer?
Vidi, vici, veni

sachak

z4 35i fuel consumption

Post by sachak » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:57 am

Busterboo wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:16 am Does fuel consumption rise in the RSA's (hot) summer?
I would say it probably has an effect on it. but our summers are not that hot. I mean we have our heat waves just like you guys do but most days in mid summer are roughly 25 - 32 degrees Celsius.

I bought the car in winter though and this past winter was VERY cold! and it made no difference.

Philly_Sweden

z4 35i fuel consumption

Post by Philly_Sweden » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:07 am

4 pages about fuel consumption :rofl:

Busterboo

z4 35i fuel consumption

Post by Busterboo » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:26 pm

Philly_Sweden wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:07 am4 pages about fuel consumption :rofl:
Not entirely. :wink:
Vidi, vici, veni

benv6

z4 35i fuel consumption

Post by benv6 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:20 am

sachak wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:30 am
Marekdawg wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:16 pm
hahahaha That is a funny question I wont lie. You know I don't live in the jungle right? I live in South Africa. My car is parked in a lock up garage everyday in a secure complex. and at work its parked at the office in the parking lot situated inside the building.

I actually have less hassles with my car here in South Africa than what I did when I lived in the UK.

When I lived in the UK my car got broken into a few times. My door locks got destroyed, I came out to a car with broken windows sometimes. Those chavs are another story, very menacing to society and extremely destructive. I remember walking down the street on my way to work the one morning and every single car parked on the side of the road had a smashed windscreen!

We don't have that issue here in South Africa because most places have lock up garages and if not then its because its in a safe complex with car ports with no way for anyone to come into the complex. Even if you goto a shopping center you get nice underground parking to park in. No one parks on the side of the road in the sun all day here like what I had to do when I stayed in the UK.
Look there are places in SA where you have to park on the side of the road for an hour or two but most places you goto have big parking spaces that are usually underground or under cover and they are very safe.

Also I don't live in Harare. I live in Sandton in Johannesburg. :)

Hahahaha ....... I grew up in London and can leave my cars anywhere, especially when out drinking !!! ..... I never had a car broken into.
Are you sure that was in the UK ??!!! :rofl: :rofl:
Now: BMW 335D Touring
Previous: 435D Coupe, BMW Z4 E89 35i, BMW Z4 E85 2.0, BMW E46 330CI

ImageImage

sachak

z4 35i fuel consumption

Post by sachak » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:08 am

benv6 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:20 am Hahahaha ....... I grew up in London and can leave my cars anywhere, especially when out drinking !!! ..... I never had a car broken into.
Are you sure that was in the UK ??!!! :rofl: :rofl:
Yes I am quite sure. I don't know where else on the entire planet in fact never mind the planet the entire universe you would get such a thing as a Chav :rofl: only the UK could have a person which fits those characteristics. No offense lol.

Chavs were one of the reasons I came back to South Africa. I have a British passport but those chavs are the laughing stock of the world and just plain dumb. I couldn't stand them! Caps facing up like a satellite dish on their heads revealing a massive forehead walking around with tracksuit pants tucked into there socks :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: whistling at you to try start a fight. Running around in massive gangs breaking things and fighting with people, spreading drugs all over the place. stabbing people and running off.
Not for me hey. All places have there positives and negatives.....But those idiots were a massive negative for me. :thumbsdown:

I actually lived on the isle of wight where its supposed to be nice and quite and peaceful.....LOL
I spent time in London and Newquay, Midlands, South Hampton etc and it was all the same to me. Those little idiots were everywhere. Its like chav Gangsters paradise :lol: Newquay was actually the most chilled for me. Was more of a surfing town with lots of tourists. Reminded me allot of Cape town actually. That was a cool place.

I to this day have never actually gotten into a fist fight with anyone in South Africa other than when I was in school which is pretty normal at some stage in a little boys life. In the UK I got into more fights than I ever did in my entire life and I was only there for two years!!!! I eventually stopped going out to clubs cause it would always end in blood and someone getting hurt.

I got into a fight once with a guy who gave me the middle finger when he was walking in the middle of the road, I never hooted at him, never revved my car or shouted I just waited patiently for him and his wife to move, she turned around and saw me waiting and then nudged him to move to the pavement and he turned around and gave me the middle finger :x . Suffice to say I didn't take to that to well and asked him what his problem was and he asked if I want to do something about it? Keep in mind this guy was twice my size! I got out to confront him and it ended very badly for him but he was the aggressor who out of the blew just threw a punch at me splitting my cheek open so I unleashed the inner jet lee and took him out lol but honestly that is too date the most retarded reason for a fight I have ever been in and the way he came up to my car and stuck his head in my window to provoke a fight was just something else. He obviously thought he had size on his side and tried to bully me.

Also I like going to a petrol station and having a petrol attendant put fuel in my car for me so that I don't have to. I like going to the car wash and having the car wash guys wash my car for me while I sit down and sip my iced latte :wink: I also don't have to pay to put air in my tires here :rofl: <----- That paying to pump my tires up was a lol for me...You are actually getting charged money for air. :o

Other than those and a few other things. The UK is a beautiful place. Remove the chavs and paying for air and the few things I mentioned above and I recon it would be a winner :)

But hey we do have an idiot running our country "Jacob Zuma" so we not perfect either. far from it actually! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

We also have The famous South African Taxi's and lets be honest they are the worst thing in the universe too! but hey it keeps another 15 - 20+ other idiots off the roads so I guess that could maybe be a good thing who knows...

Anyways I have just hit over 300km to a tank of fuel so far and reserve light still hasn't come on so I guess something is going a bit better with regards to fuel consumption.