Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Another Roof Motor Sorted !

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:50 pm

I had the pleasure of meeting Kevin (aka BKDiver) today to look at his failed roof motor.

He's a lovely bloke and has a very nice, low mileage 2.0 Roadster which is his P&J. The roof motor packed up only a couple of weeks ago, so I was optimistic we could revive it. He dropped the car off with me this morning at 9am and then ran the 16 miles home !!! ( I couldn't beleive he didn't run back to collect it later!)
IMG_6837.JPG
IMG_6837.JPG (90.47 KiB) Viewed 2914 times
At first it was difficult to work on as despite pulling the bowden cable the hydraulics would not release and allow me to drop the roof manually to access the area where the motor is, but eventually I got it moving and managed to get in there.

This was the result when it eventually came out.. Not good and although the well was dry, the roof motor casing was absolutely full of water and sodden sponges.
IMG_6835.JPG
IMG_6835.JPG (86.52 KiB) Viewed 2914 times
I managed to get the motor cleaned up and running, but it would not start itself unless I turned the spindle manually, then it ran no problem at all. Even after running it for 20-30 minutes on a battery, it still wouldn't start on its own so we popped in a refurbished one I had on the shelf and relocated everything neatly to the boot behind a false panel.
IMG_6844.JPG
IMG_6844.JPG (107.86 KiB) Viewed 2914 times
I topped up the hydraulic fluid level and this then stopped a slight pause occuring mid cycle. After a few more cycles everything speeded up and worked far more smoothly, resulting in the desired 8-9 second operation.
IMG_6845.JPG
IMG_6845.JPG (84.88 KiB) Viewed 2914 times
A rewarding few hours work and another happy customer. Thats 11 I've done this year including a few forum members: JamesUK, Ady, Chris2.5, Wackracer8, BKDiver and a friend of Spikeys, not to mention 2 of my own cars, so if I can help to keep all of the West Country Zeds enjoying their top down motoring its worth it !

I'm located in Bristol, so if you're in a similar situation and need your roof motor fixed or relocated, just drop me a PM
Last edited by Number5 on Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:53 pm

Top job sir well done
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Paulr

Post by Paulr » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:55 pm

Very neat. How much do you charge for this work?
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Grumpyowl » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:02 pm

Cracking work number5 :thumbsup:
Your too far for me to visit (and certainly too far to run home :oops: ) but keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Dietcokeman

Post by Dietcokeman » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:59 am

Nice work Al, your the man :) and 3 ahead of me

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:41 am

Sooooo, who has moved the most roof motors then.
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:49 pm

Didn't relaise you had done 11 Alan :o

Good Work :thumbsup:

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:21 pm

Top work Alan :thumbsup:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Post by sticky » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:48 pm

Hi, how much do you charge for this work. I assume there is no other issues with re-locating the offender ??
regards Stan

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:37 pm

srhutch wrote:Didn't relaise you had done 11 Alan :o
Good Work :thumbsup:
11 I can recall, but maybe another one or two I cant !
sticky wrote:Hi, how much do you charge for this work. I assume there is no other issues with re-locating the offender ??
regards Stan
No issues at all, just all positives. BMW should have done this in the first place and certainly at the change to facelift model.

Somewhere between £120 and £150 depending on how long it takes and the customer wants the roof right out or not. I've managed to do some with just partial removal lately, which is cutting down on the hours spent.

I'm getting quicker, but every one seems to present a different issue. Some come out easily and then the motor is difficult to revive, some are difficult to get out but the motor plays ball immediately. I've had some roofs that come out but just refuse to go back in. Yesterdays roof refused to drop, so I couldnt get anywhere near the hinge mechanism to begin with. Yesterdays took about 5 hours all in with my lad helping me on the two man bits but we spent an hour or two messing with motors. I'd be happy if I could guarantee 4 hours, including the making and fitting of the false panel. I've only managed it once and that was on my own car !

I'm still waiting for the one that comes straight out, with a shiny motor and goes straight back in ! However, I've not relocated a working one yet. all of mine have been failed or failing motors that have needed a bit of work on to revive them.

firebobby wrote:Sooooo, who has moved the most roof motors then?
Must be Durham Dave... he does 11 a week Followed by Boswer I would think.
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

Post by sticky » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:57 pm

Mine had a new motor in March, lasted 3 months, been arguing with the dealer t**t who fitted it.
I give him 1 more try tomorrow then I come to Bristol

bowser134

Post by bowser134 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:14 pm

I've got mine down to around 1.5-2 hours which is partially removing some roof parts. The carpeted panels take an hour each to make but I do these in advance. I will not risk using a lever bar through the boot to remove the motor housing because of the risk catching one of the fluid lines.

I have had a few which look brand new and ready to relocate. Others i've managed to revive and clean up and some that won't i've fitted new motors from BMW. You'd be surprised the difference in speed with a brand new motor and a revived one.

I have lost count the amount i've relocated. Bristol is a good 2 hours from Hampshire so it looks like we have covered all bases Number5 to help people who want them relocated :)

andystone

Post by andystone » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:54 pm

Good to see someone more local! May well have to drop you a line before mine fails
2005 e85 z4, 2.5