Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Battery?

cmp999

Battery?

Post by cmp999 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:33 am

strugglinauthor wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:01 pm Had mine in the dealership yesterday with the same code - CC-id 415. I've been getting this warning for some time but as others have experienced, it comes and goes. My car is also six years old (approaching seven) and so I assumed the battery was on the way out. Funnily enough the dealer did not recommend replacement, which I was absolutely sure they would. I was told my battery is only 30% charged and needs a full charge. If the warning persists after this - or turns red - then I will need to get the battery changed.

I found this surprising as I've recently done a couple of long motorway trips and so I would have assumed the battery would be fully charged. As it wasn't then this suggests a battery not holding its charge and so in need of replacement.

I may get it changed at some point anyway. I just know it will decide to give up the ghost on a cold, wet night...
Like you, my fault code seems to have disappeared, the car will not be used for a few weeks over Christmas/ New year so I will see what happens. If the fault returns then I will get a new battery, It may be just coincidence but, this problem has always occurred when I have left a usb stick plugged in :o The usb lights up when in use but I would not have thought that it would be live when the ignition is off.

Gaffa22

Battery?

Post by Gaffa22 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:49 am

Duplicate post
Last edited by Gaffa22 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
2010 E89 35i DCT
2017 Honda CBR1000RR fireblade
2016 Honda VFR1200F

Gaffa22

Battery?

Post by Gaffa22 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:51 am

keith777 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:06 pm Forgive my ignorance but how do you code it ?
Cheers Keith.
You can register / code it with Carly
Even when replacing battery with like for like you should still register the new battery to the car, as the IBS will charge a new battery differently to the old one
2010 E89 35i DCT
2016 Honda VFR1200F

LeePreston

Battery?

Post by LeePreston » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:34 pm

I’ve had an issue with my battery for a couple of weeks.

I went to KwikFit for a free check and it was really useful. They were able to confirm that the battery was good, just discharged a little. The test also also looked at the charging system to confirm it was all ok.

Well worth the visit.

mcbutler

Battery?

Post by mcbutler » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:13 pm

strugglinauthor wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:01 pm Had mine in the dealership yesterday with the same code - CC-id 415. I've been getting this warning for some time but as others have experienced, it comes and goes. My car is also six years old (approaching seven) and so I assumed the battery was on the way out. Funnily enough the dealer did not recommend replacement, which I was absolutely sure they would. I was told my battery is only 30% charged and needs a full charge. If the warning persists after this - or turns red - then I will need to get the battery changed.

I found this surprising as I've recently done a couple of long motorway trips and so I would have assumed the battery would be fully charged. As it wasn't then this suggests a battery not holding its charge and so in need of replacement.

I may get it changed at some point anyway. I just know it will decide to give up the ghost on a cold, wet night...
If you're in the AA just run it till it stops, call them and they will fit and code a new battery for you. It will cost less than a dealer and you get an extended warranty on the battery of 5 years.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

strugglinauthor

Battery?

Post by strugglinauthor » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:37 pm

mcbutler wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:13 pm
If you're in the AA just run it till it stops, call them and they will fit and code a new battery for you. It will cost less than a dealer and you get an extended warranty on the battery of 5 years.
Interesting. I've actually got an extended BMW warranty, which has their cover. I wonder if the same applies...? :?

mcbutler

Battery?

Post by mcbutler » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:09 pm

strugglinauthor wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:37 pm
mcbutler wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:13 pm
Interesting. I've actually got an extended BMW warranty, which has their cover. I wonder if the same applies...? :?
Worth a look, lots of people have AA cover as part of a premium bank account benefit package. I have a premier account with Lloyds, comes with full AA cover and courtesy car included!
Sweet...
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

dario

Battery?

Post by dario » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:40 pm

I decided that after seeing the battery discharge warning for well over 3 months that it was time to get the battery changed. Admittedly i did not know that i had to have the battery coded to the car.

after a trip to the stealers and being quoted about £170 plus coding (about £30 i think) i thought bugger that and searched the internet. best i could find for a Bosch or Yuasa 5 year battery was about £95.00 but i would still have the coding issue and the extra cost.

quick call to my local battery dealer in Bedford and got a cost of £92.00 inc VAT fitting and coding for the Yuasa 5 year 80Ahr /800CCA.

when installing the battery they installed a jump battery in the footwell and connected a supply to the OBDII port. They said this was to maintain the memory in the ECU's around the car.

battery was installed and hey presto........ no dash lights!!! it would start and do all sorts of normal things, but no oil,charge,seatbelt, airbag lights NOTHING.

they then recalled that this had happened a few time before on 3 series (I suppose it was an E9X series) and a fuse to the dash gets blown.

they traced the fuse (showed me the easy way to get the fuse box down) and all done.

£92.00 bargain.

strugglinauthor

Battery?

Post by strugglinauthor » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:05 pm

dario wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:40 pm I decided that after seeing the battery discharge warning for well over 3 months that it was time to get the battery changed. Admittedly i did not know that i had to have the battery coded to the car.

after a trip to the stealers and being quoted about £170 plus coding (about £30 i think) i thought bugger that and searched the internet. best i could find for a Bosch or Yuasa 5 year battery was about £95.00 but i would still have the coding issue and the extra cost.

quick call to my local battery dealer in Bedford and got a cost of £92.00 inc VAT fitting and coding for the Yuasa 5 year 80Ahr /800CCA.

when installing the battery they installed a jump battery in the footwell and connected a supply to the OBDII port. They said this was to maintain the memory in the ECU's around the car.

battery was installed and hey presto........ no dash lights!!! it would start and do all sorts of normal things, but no oil,charge,seatbelt, airbag lights NOTHING.

they then recalled that this had happened a few time before on 3 series (I suppose it was an E9X series) and a fuse to the dash gets blown.

they traced the fuse (showed me the easy way to get the fuse box down) and all done.

£92.00 bargain.
:thumbsup:

R.E92

Battery?

Post by R.E92 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:13 pm

mr wilks wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:08 pm Mirrors the symptoms i recently had on my 89 , new battery sorted it . £137 delivered for OE Varta AGM with no need to "code" it to the car .http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VARTA-E39-Sil ... SwajVUOSEF
Easy 10 mins job to change :thumbsup:
I would get the battery reset done ASAP. Could cause issues with the new battery.

You don't need to code the battery if it's the same rating and type but you do need to reset the charging adaptations which is what most people mean when they said it needs "coding".

The reset is quite simple and can be done though INPA in 5 minutes or with MHD Flasher in 30 seconds.

Coding is a little more involved but still only a 15min task.

Gaffa22

Battery?

Post by Gaffa22 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:25 am

I agree RE92 although my understanding is if you replace the battery with same type you just need to "Register" it to the vehicle, coding only required if battery is different type.
But yes you will shorten the life of the new battery if it's not registered.

Very quick job with Carly
2010 E89 35i DCT
2016 Honda VFR1200F