Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Washing Machines

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Washing Machines

Post by TitanTim » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:10 pm

We appear to be suffering appliances meltdown in the house at the mo, first the cooker which I've repaired by fitting a new element but now our Hotpoint Washer Dryer is playing up and giving a fault code when drying. As its 7 years old deliberating whether to get it repaired or look at replacing it.

This is our second Hotpoint washer dryer over the years and generally been pleased with them although the PCB boards can be fragile on them giving error codes. Another reason we've stuck with Hotpoint is their washing machines are slightly smaller in width than virtually all other makes which helps moving it in and out of its slot under the kitchen work top. Washer dryers can weigh a tonne so any extra width in wiggling the machine in and out of its space when needed is useful.

The only other make which has a smaller width less than 60cm is Miele who only do one Washer Dryer,

http://www.miele.co.uk/domestic/washing ... T_2796_WPM

Anyone have any experience of Miele products? Apparently their washing machines are designed to last 20 years or more however they are much more expensive, some 3 times the cost of a Hotpoint equivalent. Are they really that better that justifies the cost?

Cheers,

Tim.

ekimj10

Re: Washing Machines

Post by ekimj10 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:36 pm

Never actually owned a Miele but like you understand them to be one of the best available. We could never justify the initial high cost.
One thing that did put us off at the time was they were reportedly very heavy, couldn't find any data to support this but it was sufficient deterrent.
2.2R Toledo Blue

85genius

Post by 85genius » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:36 pm

My Grandma will only use Miele stuff and had her last ones separate washer and dryer over 10 years before she upgraded last year, wasn't anything wrong with the old ones either just the new ones were faster or more economical or something like that, I have a hotpoint washing machine and had a few issues but mostly down to the Mrs misusing it
Audi quattro driver :o
NOW SOLD - Ruby Black 3.0 SI Roadster :(
Previous - E85 2.5 Ti Silver - See avatar photo - R.I.P Destroyed by a Tranny

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:44 pm

Thanks for the replies, I've heard Miele washing machines are quite heavy as well down to heavier duty parts and ballast weight, however our Hotpoint weighs an awful lot as well.

Found this useful video, the casing are enamelled, like the scratch test :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs6WW-C1JQE

Tim.

RoyE

Post by RoyE » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:55 pm

We have had a Miele for twenty-two years, which replaced another old Miele. I don't have any experience of a washer-dryer and also suspect Miele could be having to compete on price and not the quality product they used to be. I hope I am not talking up a problem :!:
28i M Sport / Auto / Deep Sea Blue - Beige leather / Comfort and Pro Media Packs

hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

Post by hopz121 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:14 pm

Miele is meant to be one of the best and most of there products seem to get good reviews etc, we have an AEG Washer-Dryer and we are really happy with that we picked it ased on a Which Best Buy :)
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone

Mister T

Post by Mister T » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:16 pm

Online reviews for that particular model aren't all that favourable...

ekimj10

Post by ekimj10 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:24 pm

Interesting video, obviously well engineered and built to last. The additional weight is down to its high stability which is reportedly outstanding, our Bosch is all over the place sometimes.
Just had a quiet chuckle to self as to how come three grown men are discussing washing machines, I don't even know to operate ours.
2.2R Toledo Blue

CornishRob

Post by CornishRob » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:40 pm

Our Hot point Dishwasher isn't working. I have just purchased a new inlet hose as I hope its the problem, which cost £36. Annoying as the inlet valve is on the hose, and im hoping that valve is the problem. If not, I've had enough and its going in the skip. Just over 1 year old, out of warranty.
I will have the fun of fitting it tonight. Fingers crossed
Current: 2007 Titanium Silver Z4MC - For Sale End of Feb
Previous: 2002 Land Rover Defender 90

AlienZed

Post by AlienZed » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:56 pm

Just had a quiet chuckle to self as to how come three grown men are discussing washing machines, I don't even know to operate ours.[/quote]

Hmmm you all need counselling :D
Go for blast in your Zeds you'll soon forget all about them.
Ps, im proud to say I dont know where the on button is for ours :D
M

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:33 pm

Lol I wouldn't normally ask but £1300 quid is quite a lot on a blind purchase. I wouldn't mind having a look at one before spending any reddies but that might be a little difficult to find anyone selling them although John Lewis do.

Just wandering whether to have a go at fixing the Hotpoint as was quite chuffed fixing the cooker last night. Just as well I cancelled the cooker from Currys now :(

Thing is I do all the washing in the house so an excuse to get something German :D

Tim.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:36 pm

Mister T wrote:Online reviews for that particular model aren't all that favourable...
I noticed that as it doesn't seem as reliable as the previous model but then probably based on one feedback review lol.

Tim.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:45 pm

We've got Miele white good. Washing machine, drier and dishwasher.
Wouldn't buy anything else.

Why are blokes discussing white goods? It's because it's us that have to drag them out and re install when they break !
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:59 pm

ronk wrote:We've got Miele white good. Washing machine, drier and dishwasher.
Wouldn't buy anything else.

Why are blokes discussing white goods? It's because it's us that have to drag them out and re install when they break !
Thanks Ronk, have you had any probs with the washing machine? I know combined washer/dryers aren't as reliable which is why I'm looking at Miele specifically. Only thing is the weight if needing to move it for any reason. I can just about move the Hotpoint on my own but a struggle.

Tim.

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:01 pm

AlienZed wrote:Just had a quiet chuckle to self as to how come three grown men are discussing washing machines, I don't even know to operate ours
Recently we've had Cookers, Saucepans and now Washing Machines..... Have I joined the wrong forum ? :o
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)