Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Up Date - Wheel Gap has gone

Post your Z4 pictures! See sticky post at the top for details of the photo competition.
Maxum

Up Date - Wheel Gap has gone

Post by Maxum » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:25 pm

I set about the job of fitting my new Eibach Pro springs yesterday to sort out the larg wheel gap :oops: 30mm drop that should sort it out
the results, well juge for your self

I was expecting the ride to suffer with these springs but if anythink it has improved :D

Also fitted the ome wind defector today and removed make shift plastic slab the went across the back, what a diffrance that dose, i tryed to order the two sections that go in the hoops but my local dealer tell me one he can get no problem but the other is on back order and has been for some time :(

2.2 man, 2005

jonnyfive

Re: Up Date - Wheel Gap has gone

Post by jonnyfive » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:39 pm

looking goo :thumbsup: d mate
Live life on the edge or you are taking up to much space!

Motionblurrr

Post by Motionblurrr » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:10 pm

Looks incredible. So clean I'm jealous! I need to detail my car ASAP for spring :(

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:10 am

Looks very cool. Is it a big job to fit them yourself? I had my MOT due soon and I haven't had an OEM spring break for at least a week (j/k!) so I was considering getting the same. They are cheap as chips but the thing putting me off is paying £300 to have them fitted.

StigJ

Post by StigJ » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:03 am

Very nice :thumbsup:
Hellrot '06 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si
Instagram: @StigJ77 & @bmwe86driver

doofus4000

Post by doofus4000 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:17 am

looks good chief! :driving:

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:30 am

Looks real good :thumbsup:

BTW - you comment on the improvement of the oem deflector Vs plastic. Is this in terms of draught reduction or looks?
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Maxum

Re:

Post by Maxum » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:17 pm

sp3ctre wrote:Looks very cool. Is it a big job to fit them yourself? I had my MOT due soon and I haven't had an OEM spring break for at least a week (j/k!) so I was considering getting the same. They are cheap as chips but the thing putting me off is paying £300 to have them fitted.
It's not a to hard job, the rears will take about 15/20min per side including jacking it up and takeing the wheel of, once the wheel is off there is one bolt to remove that hold the rear shock to the swinging arm, once out just push down on the brake disc at the same time yank the spring out,
pop the new spring in, connect the shock back on, wheel back on job done :thumbsup:
The front are abit more involed, not many bolt to take out just two at the bottome, one large one that clamps the front shock to the front hub and one nut the hold the link rod from the anti roll bar to the shock you just need to undo the top one, push down on the front hub untill the shock slides out of its clamp, use plenty of WD40, then under the bonnet there are 3 nuts for the top mounts remove them, you will need a good set of spring compressures, compress the spring untill the top mount fells lose then remove the dust cap in the middel of the mount and then you will see one nut undo that and then the top mount will come of , unwind the compressers and remove the springs, do the job in revers when fitting the new springs, job done. an hour for each side should do it. you just saved your self £300.00, even if the have to buy your self some tolls for the job it will still be a heap cheaper.
Good luck

2.2 man, 2005

Maxum

Post by Maxum » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:34 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:Looks real good :thumbsup:

BTW - you comment on the improvement of the oem deflector Vs plastic. Is this in terms of draught reduction or looks?
Well CJ, it was on your advise that i went for the change, on the London run the other month we were talking and you said the the OEM wind defector worked better than a plastic after market one did due to the mesh, well i didnt like the look of the plastic one that is held on with velcro,
i was going to shape the plastic to the same as the OEM mesh one but desided against it, i fould a perfect one on ebay just the centre section.
i orderd both side rails from the dealer £7.00 each side, but i carnt get the hoops ones as one is on back order, well one side is. :headbang:
so the plastic may get used yet.

The improvement were to the draught , you wouldnt belive the diffrance it has made, that mesh must be the key :D and of course it looks better than the plastic :oops:

So i just need to thank you CJ, you made me see the light :thumbsup:

2.2 man, 2005

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PawnSacrifice » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:41 pm

Maxum, nice work changing the spring. Out of interest, do you know which spring compressor you have? You say buy a good one, but I have no point of reference... and throwing more money at a problem isn't a guarantee of quality :oops:

Oh yes, car looks good :thumbsup:

ADD: Actually, the money saved changing the springs would pay for the alignment, so double win :thumbsup:
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.

Maxum

Post by Maxum » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:52 pm

PawnSacrifice wrote:Maxum, nice work changing the spring. Out of interest, do you know which spring compressor you have? You say buy a good one, but I have no point of reference... and throwing more money at a problem isn't a guarantee of quality :oops:

Oh yes, car looks good :thumbsup:

ADD: Actually, the money saved changing the springs would pay for the alignment, so double win :thumbsup:
I cheated some what, i borrowed a set from my works, which were a bit to big for the job, but the once you can buy from Halfords should do the trick used them on plenty of BMW mini cooper S and worked fine, they are just basic clamps but will do the job, if you dont fancy the removel of the springs bit then just remove the shocks from the car and then take them a small private garage and pay them to to the spring swop that wont cost a lot

2.2 man, 2005

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:07 pm

Maxum wrote:
cj10jeeper wrote:Looks real good :thumbsup:

Well CJ, it was on your advise that i went for the change, on the London run the other month we were talking and you said the the OEM wind defector worked better than a plastic after market one did due to the mesh, well i didnt like the look of the plastic one that is held on with velcro,
i was going to shape the plastic to the same as the OEM mesh one but desided against it, i fould a perfect one on ebay just the centre section.
i orderd both side rails from the dealer £7.00 each side, but i carnt get the hoops ones as one is on back order, well one side is. :headbang:
so the plastic may get used yet.

The improvement were to the draught , you wouldnt belive the diffrance it has made, that mesh must be the key :D and of course it looks better than the plastic :oops:

So i just need to thank you CJ, you made me see the light :thumbsup:
That's great to know. I'd researched why the factory went for mesh and seen all sorts of interesting airflow diagrams, however whenver posted on the site it becomes a roadster/coupe argument of plastic Vs mesh.

For that reason it's really interesting to see the back to back test of a user :thumbsup:

BTW - you're spot on the mesh allows air to flow through, thus slowing it and reducing draught. The plastic causes horrible rolls of turbulence and thus makes it draughty (probably at least as much as without...
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:50 pm

Looks very nice,car lookn nice n shiny too :thumbsup:
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)