Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 coupe and ///M speculation

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Wondermike

Z4 coupe and ///M speculation

Post by Wondermike » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:48 pm

There is a guy called Scott on another forum who works for BMW and has proved his inside knowldge a few times, most recently with the new Z4, he revealed far too much for it to be chance. This is copied from one of his recent posts...
with the new BMW Z4 Roadster (launching in December) forgoing a classic roadster soft top and instead using a folding hard top configuaration. Much of the discussion is focused on how much the weight of the car will increase with the now folding hardtop. Although the use of lightweight materials on key areas of the car do not satisfy the curiosity of many.

Although brought in to prop up Z4 sales and originally a project put on hiatus when the E85 was in development. BMW brought forward the Z4 Coupe as a more performance focused model than the roadster. Because of the introduction of the Coupe, Z4 sales increased and with the Z4 Coupe proved as a successful product for BMW, that BMW have green-lighted a Coupe version for production.

With the new Z4 Coupe BMW will focus more on the performance and the handling of the car and the new Z4 Coupe will seperate from it's Roadster brother by being stiffer and lower with certain design features to differentate the Coupe from the Roadster with a ower roof line and glasshouse, different shaped and larger air intakes, rear diffuser and ducktail spoiler, The overall look is more a traditional coupe with out looking like a two door hatch.

Like the current Z4 Coupe (or the previous) The car will only be offered with top end six cylinder highly efficient powerplants that ensure it's looks live up to it's potential. With the new Z4 offering the new sDrive technology even a Roadster like the new E89 offers a new radical driving experience for a BMW Roadster and with engineers testing a fixed roof Z4 (Black tape and tubing made sure it looked like a hardtop) ensured that the fixed roof model with a much more stiffer structure benefitted the Coupe prototype greatly. There is still much to do for the Coupe to completely seperate it from it's Roadster brother to offer a seperate identity and ensure the new Z4 Coupe stands out in terms of design , dynamics and performance.

A feasibility programme into the investigation of an M model for the Coupe only has also begun with the project now being treated with priority now the CS programme has been cancelled. If approved and M model of the Z4 Coupe will possibly inherit the V8 from the M3 and usual M features such as Carbon Fibre roof.

With the economy in freefall and the lapse of vanity projects BMW are aiming the Z4 to be a return to back to basics small sporty cars instead of overcostly vanity projects. With the new Z4 being based off the 3er platform the economies of scale are greatly in BMW's favour to develop many key models off both the 1er and 3er Platform. Also dubbed to appear is the introduction of the BMW Intro roadster badged as Z2.
I'm going to make some predictions now, in 3 years time we'll see if they were right or not :rofl: :rofl:

1. There will be a Z4 coupe
2. There will be ///M versions of both
3. The ///M versions will have the 4.0 V8 from the E9x M3 (I've heard the rumours it won't fit, but I don't see why not)

Z4M 4.0 V8 with 420PS :sweetheart: :sweetheart:

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Z4 coupe and ///M speculation

Post by WLH » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:07 pm

Very Interesting... :thumbsup:
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

Dammmittt

Post by Dammmittt » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:46 pm

Interesting. I hope your source is as accurate as you say he is.
07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:48 pm

BRING BACK THE SOFT TOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:51 pm

paddy wright wrote:BRING BACK THE SOFT TOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
X2... :thumbsup:
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:42 am

Dammmittt wrote:Interesting. I hope your source is as accurate as you say he is.
Yep I believe in what he says, although we are talking up to 3 years away so things can change in that time.

1. Coupe - I'd say definitely because it's so easy for BMW do, especially now the car has a hard top, and the E86 didn't sell too bad. And the E92/E93 prove that the two models will have a separate market.

2. ///M - again, as MB have the SLK55 and Audi have the TTS and TTRS almost 100% definite, they need something to compete. They said there was going to be no Z3M, no Z4M, and now again they are saying the same thing. There are ///M versions of the X5 and X6, so no way will they develop those cars and leave out the E89.

3. The 335 engines have been a bit unreliable with fuel pumps etc, so I can't see BMW upping the boost too much, and they'll want at least 360bhp as a minimum. So if you need that kind of power and you have the very recently developed S65 V8 engine sat on the shelf, you would bank on them using it. And as for it not fitting I don't believe that, look at the size of the engine bay on the E89, the bonnet is massive. Maybe it will need a bonnet bulge like the M3, but I'm certain they can make it fit OK.
paddy wright wrote:BRING BACK THE SOFT TOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Sorry can't see it ever happening, BMW will want to leave space for the Z2 (if it ever makes it!).

Caddyshk

Post by Caddyshk » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:21 am

Wondermike wrote:There is a guy called Scott on another forum who works for BMW and has proved his inside knowldge a few times, most recently with the new Z4, he revealed far too much for it to be chance. This is copied from one of his recent posts...
with the new BMW Z4 Roadster (launching in December) forgoing a classic roadster soft top and instead using a folding hard top configuaration. Much of the discussion is focused on how much the weight of the car will increase with the now folding hardtop. Although the use of lightweight materials on key areas of the car do not satisfy the curiosity of many.

Although brought in to prop up Z4 sales and originally a project put on hiatus when the E85 was in development. BMW brought forward the Z4 Coupe as a more performance focused model than the roadster. Because of the introduction of the Coupe, Z4 sales increased and with the Z4 Coupe proved as a successful product for BMW, that BMW have green-lighted a Coupe version for production.

With the new Z4 Coupe BMW will focus more on the performance and the handling of the car and the new Z4 Coupe will seperate from it's Roadster brother by being stiffer and lower with certain design features to differentate the Coupe from the Roadster with a ower roof line and glasshouse, different shaped and larger air intakes, rear diffuser and ducktail spoiler, The overall look is more a traditional coupe with out looking like a two door hatch.

Like the current Z4 Coupe (or the previous) The car will only be offered with top end six cylinder highly efficient powerplants that ensure it's looks live up to it's potential. With the new Z4 offering the new sDrive technology even a Roadster like the new E89 offers a new radical driving experience for a BMW Roadster and with engineers testing a fixed roof Z4 (Black tape and tubing made sure it looked like a hardtop) ensured that the fixed roof model with a much more stiffer structure benefitted the Coupe prototype greatly. There is still much to do for the Coupe to completely seperate it from it's Roadster brother to offer a seperate identity and ensure the new Z4 Coupe stands out in terms of design , dynamics and performance.

A feasibility programme into the investigation of an M model for the Coupe only has also begun with the project now being treated with priority now the CS programme has been cancelled. If approved and M model of the Z4 Coupe will possibly inherit the V8 from the M3 and usual M features such as Carbon Fibre roof.

With the economy in freefall and the lapse of vanity projects BMW are aiming the Z4 to be a return to back to basics small sporty cars instead of overcostly vanity projects. With the new Z4 being based off the 3er platform the economies of scale are greatly in BMW's favour to develop many key models off both the 1er and 3er Platform. Also dubbed to appear is the introduction of the BMW Intro roadster badged as Z2.
I'm going to make some predictions now, in 3 years time we'll see if they were right or not :rofl: :rofl:

1. There will be a Z4 coupe
2. There will be ///M versions of both
3. The ///M versions will have the 4.0 V8 from the E9x M3 (I've heard the rumours it won't fit, but I don't see why not)

Z4M 4.0 V8 with 420PS :sweetheart: :sweetheart:
Found this link on another forum:

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Community/ ... -mourning/
2006 Z4MC IB - LL93158
SS Race M, RE X Pipe, FS Headers/DFK Sec 1, OE STB, DZ CDV, AS SS, GC CoilOvers, SP FCAB, RE RTAB, VT Engine Mts, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC, RE Clutch Stop, RE Tran Mounts, LeatherZ MSB, Tekarbon Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:23 am

BMW brought forward the Z4 Coupe as a more performance focused model than the roadster.
Of course, us Coupe owners allready new this! :P
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)

Caddyshk

Post by Caddyshk » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:25 am

Breaker wrote:
BMW brought forward the Z4 Coupe as a more performance focused model than the roadster.
He's talking about the M, not the practical real world version :rofl:
2006 Z4MC IB - LL93158
SS Race M, RE X Pipe, FS Headers/DFK Sec 1, OE STB, DZ CDV, AS SS, GC CoilOvers, SP FCAB, RE RTAB, VT Engine Mts, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC, RE Clutch Stop, RE Tran Mounts, LeatherZ MSB, Tekarbon Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:30 am

Caddyshk wrote:
Breaker wrote:
He's talking about the M, not the practical real world version :rofl:
With the economy in freefall and the lapse of vanity projects BMW are aiming the Z4 to be a return to back to basics small sporty cars instead of overcostly vanity projects.

Like the M! :rofl: :fuelfire:
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)

Caddyshk

Post by Caddyshk » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:32 am

[/quote]He's talking about the M, not the practical real world version :rofl:[/quote]
With the economy in freefall and the lapse of vanity projects BMW are aiming the Z4 to be a return to back to basics small sporty cars instead of overcostly vanity projects.

Like the M! :rofl: :fuelfire:[/quote]You know you want one :driving:
2006 Z4MC IB - LL93158

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:44 am

Caddyshk wrote:Found this link on another forum:

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Community/ ... -mourning/
Yeah I had a read of that the other day. I absolutely believe that the 4.0 will make everyone forget the S54 engine. It's enough to make me take an E92 M3 out for a blast.