Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

AC Schnitzer Airbox

"M" Specific discussion
JayD

AC Schnitzer Airbox

Post by JayD » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:28 am

Interesting article this month in BMW Car Magazine about the AC Schnitzer Profile Concept Car. Whilst I am not keen on the mods in terms of the body work and colour choice, it was interesting to see they have fitted an airbox similar to the CSL and remapped the engine. They really do say its sounds fantastic and are very enthusiastic about it.

I know its only a prototype, but do you think the airbox will become available on the open market with maybe the choice of a remap?

Would there be issues with warranty? I thought Schnitzer stuff was BMW approved???

IDEASEngineer

Post by IDEASEngineer » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:05 pm

I got his response from a fellow at ACS:

"First of all we would like to thank you for your email and your interests in AC Schnitzer.

As the "profile" is a concept car - we are not planning to bring out the aerodynamic parts for standard cars.

Attached you will find our latest brochure for the Z4 M.

If you should have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards

O------ L-------
Export Sales

AC Schnitzer
automobile Technik
Neuenhofstr. 160
D-52078 Aachen "

Well at least they didn't say anything about the intake not being released. I figure we should all hound them if we are interested, and I know we all are interested in 360hp and a CSL roar....
IDEAS Consulting - Rides:

2007 Z4 M Coupe - Black Sapphire
1993 VW Corrado VR6 - Saab Viggen Blue
SOLD--->2004 Buell Firebolt XB12R

JayD

Post by JayD » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:15 pm

Nice one mate, thanks for looking into that, I will email for interest as well. Very tempting if we could get the CSL induction noise! :thumbsup:

peppernick

Post by peppernick » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:35 am

It's going to cost a fortune to have that airbox conversion. CA Automotive did a few to the standard E46 M3. Because you are removing the standard MAF meter, your engine management has to be converted to one that controls fuelling through throttle position, ie: Motec, Alpha-N etc. Such softwares are not cheap (Motec cost £4000 IIRC) and unless you get a tuned down version, your car will be very difficult to drive on normal roads.

This kind of explains why the estimated cost for the Profile is 139K Euros. I'm not surprise if the airbox/DME conversion comes out to £10k!

JayD

Post by JayD » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:56 am

peppernick wrote:It's going to cost a fortune to have that airbox conversion. CA Automotive did a few to the standard E46 M3. Because you are removing the standard MAF meter, your engine management has to be converted to one that controls fuelling through throttle position, ie: Motec, Alpha-N etc. Such softwares are not cheap (Motec cost £4000 IIRC) and unless you get a tuned down version, your car will be very difficult to drive on normal roads.

This kind of explains why the estimated cost for the Profile is 139K Euros. I'm not surprise if the airbox/DME conversion comes out to £10k!
Forget that then. :cry:

Cheburator

Post by Cheburator » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:05 pm

peppernick wrote:... Alpha-N etc. Such softwares are not cheap (Motec cost £4000 IIRC) and unless you get a tuned down version, your car will be very difficult to drive on normal roads.

I have had Alpha-N on a E30 320iS and it cost me EUR1000, with regards to making it difficult to drive - not really, it actually it makes it even better through even sharper throttle response. The only problem is that fuel economy goes out of the window.

You can buy Alpha-N E46 M3 systems on German eBay. Also there are a lot of guys in Germany who offer the conversion for E46 M3 CSL. The airbox is £2K + £1K for the Alpha-N add on.

Not worth it IMHO, much better to get decent brakes / track rubber and improve the driver... :)
Power Is Nothing Without Insanity
Imola Red BMW Z4MC - sold

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:17 am

Cheburator Welcome To The Forum... :thumbsup:
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos