Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Brake cooling intakes - blocked?

"M" Specific discussion
Curtis

Re: Brake cooling intakes - blocked?

Post by Curtis » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:59 pm

Interesting thread!

I suppose it makes sense to have little or no additional brake cooling on a car that's primarily used to potter around town or cruise the motorways. What would be the point in massively overcooling brakes that never get hot anyway? Even standard brakes operate more efficiently when they get some form of heat into them.

Once you get into tracking or racing the story changes altogether. Finding the correct amount of cooling is like finding the correct suspension set up. Different pads are designed to operate at their best efficiency within certain temperature ranges. The amount of cooling you add or subtract combined with the amount of heavy braking you do will determine how close their temperature will stay within the optimum levels and therefore how efficiently you brakes will operate.

Racing pads will only operate at their best once they reach their optimum temperature, that's why you see drivers braking heavily during the warm up lap of a race or driving reservedly at the beginning of a race until they get some heat into their tyres and brakes. Road car pads generally have to operate efficiently at temperatures below zero up to moderate levels. If you go above those levels they will move out of their optimum operating range and become less efficient or useless. At this stage it might be worth adding additional cooling if you were for example tracking the car using standard brakes. If you found you were having to go to such extremes you might want to consider upgrading the braking system first. The simplest way is to buy a spare set of racing pads for track day use with a higher operating temperature and racing brake fluid. I use Ferodo's in my AP's for day to day use and Pagid RS29's for track days.

If however you pull out of drive on a cold winter morning to buy a loaf of bread at the corner shop, that extra cooling seems to become a bit pointless.

At the end of the day it all depends what you primarily use the car for. By all means open up the cooling for track use but make sure you can reverse the procedure for normal driving.

Blacklines

Post by Blacklines » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:47 am

Thanks Curtis.

Do you remove the blanking plates when you fit the RS29's?

Curtis

Post by Curtis » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:30 am

Not yet but I have cooked the brakes a couple of times so I might consider it in the future. The Alpina front is slighly different and its not quite so easy to do that mod, I have considered removing the driving lamps to fit some ducting. We'll see!

inTgr8r

Post by inTgr8r » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:48 pm

Strange... but on my car there are no duct blocking pieces.

Blacklines

Post by Blacklines » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:48 pm

I have spoken to a few more people about this and it may well depend on the market/pad compound.

UK cars all reach market initially with the blanking plates.

GP20

Post by GP20 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:17 am

inTgr8r wrote:Strange... but on my car there are no duct blocking pieces.
When was your build date? MIne was built in March, '06, and doesn't have the blocking pieces either.
'08 BMW Z4///MC 18" & 19" BBS RGR's|Michelin PSS'|TCK DA's 450/500|OEM CF spoiler|Aero side-skirts|ZHP gear-knob|OEM STB|
'06 BMW Z4///MR (sold)
'04 BMW Z4 3.0i 6sp SMG (lemon)
'03 BMW Z4 2.5i non-sport (sold)

inTgr8r

Post by inTgr8r » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:03 am

GP20 wrote:
inTgr8r wrote:Strange... but on my car there are no duct blocking pieces.
When was your build date? MIne was built in March, '06, and doesn't have the blocking pieces either.
April 06

Cheburator

Post by Cheburator » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:05 pm

Blacklines wrote:LOL sp3ctre - no probs.

I don't pretend to know any more than you. Was just interested to gauge the depth of knowledge.

Has anyone suffered overheating brakes? Has anyone removed the blanking plates? What happens to these plates when the brakes are upgraded?

:)
I cooked my brakes and then removed the blanking plates which led to a massive improvement. Must add that I use CarboPad race pads :P

P.S. The brake ducts are of sh1te design because they do a poor job of directing cold air directly to the disc / pad...
Power Is Nothing Without Insanity
Imola Red BMW Z4MC - sold

Gauss

Post by Gauss » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:37 am

Hey I just realized what these could be for. When your car is parked sideways to the sunset, the light from the sun will light the wheel well and if you do not have that little metal panel on the duct you will be able to see through right into the wheel well and it will look kind of bad.

Caddyshk

Post by Caddyshk » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:08 pm

Gauss wrote:Hey I just realized what these could be for. When your car is parked sideways to the sunset, the light from the sun will light the wheel well and if you do not have that little metal panel on the duct you will be able to see through right into the wheel well and it will look kind of bad.
Makes as much sense as the other theories...
2006 Z4MC IB - LL93158
SS Race M, RE X Pipe, FS Headers/DFK Sec 1, OE STB, DZ CDV, AS SS, GC CoilOvers, SP FCAB, RE RTAB, VT Engine Mts, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC, RE Clutch Stop, RE Tran Mounts, LeatherZ MSB, Tekarbon Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS