Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Replacing horns

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
Sceptre

Replacing horns

Post by Sceptre » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:46 am

My lower tone horn has gone U/S and I wondered if anyone had changed theirs.

I think it will be a wheel arch removal but wanted to seek advice who had done the job before.

Regards

Sceptre
----------------------------
03 Z4 3.0i 6 speed, Xenon, Cruise, 18" elips, Sat Nav, Mod CDV, cup holders, K&N, OEM Strut Brace, Eibach Pro, Reinhold Roof Module, Wind Deflector.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Replacing horns

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:45 am

I replaced mine with air horns. All mounted in the large void behind the foglight area.

If you want like for like oem then I'd be confident that you would have enough room to get to the single retaining nut and wire connector through the 2 access hatches with the wheel off. Failing that it's bumper cover off.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Sceptre

Post by Sceptre » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:47 pm

Hi cj10jeeper.
Many thanks for the advice.

I have a pair or OEM to replace with but also got a Stebel Twin Air Horn which I'll wire a switch over. I was always impressed with an Aston Martin in the early 90's that had a town or country setting for the horns; electric and air respectively.

I'll take a wheel off and take a look at the space.

Did you mean the two hatches on the same side or fog light opening on both sides?

Sceptre
----------------------------
03 Z4 3.0i 6 speed, Xenon, Cruise, 18" elips, Sat Nav, Mod CDV, cup holders, K&N, OEM Strut Brace, Eibach Pro, Reinhold Roof Module, Wind Deflector.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:52 am

Slow reply - been travelling.

Yeah - I used to live in France and a good few older cars had 2 levels of horn. Somehow speed related.

If your doing a full swap over you'll need to take the bumper cover off. I was thinking that by removing a wheel and opening both flaps you might be able to reach in and unbolt and unclip the loom for the horn. Just an idea to save time. Bumper off is only 15 mins anyway
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills