Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2007 z4M Roof issues

"M" Specific discussion
Stingerz4m

2007 z4M Roof issues

Post by Stingerz4m » Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:25 am

Took the car out of storage to get some fresh gas and run it a little. Really have not been driving much as I drive my BMW Motorcycle more often. In any event, I ended up dropping $300 for a new battery. Got that resolved and was enjoying driving it around.

Little cool in fall but finally a nice day so I dropped the roof at a stoplight and enjoyed cruzin around with the top down.

When I was all done and back at home, went to put the roof up and it only came up halfway. fiddled with buttons down and up and in the end It went down and that was where it stayed. I can here the motor running but the roof does not move.

Well, This is a bummer. I figured there was a manual way to put it up, but did not know how. Put in in garage and researched manual method.

Next day I went out to do the manual Pulled on the little red thing in the trunk, then went to put roof up and I could not budge it. repeated putting the pull knob in and out and could not get the roof up manual. Using the buttons, I hear the motor run but nothing happens. If I did not know better I would say there is no hydraulic fluid in the system.

So back on Computer researching. found a bunch of videos on you tube. Totally shocked at this piss poor design. Who in the world would place an electronic motor and hydraulic pump where the water drains. Was shocked at how many people have issues. I am guessing that mine was OK as it is garaged and does not see bad weather unless I get caught in it from time to time.

Even though my motor seems to run, I looked up prices. Saw one for $50, One for $286, and one for $859 dollars. Guess which one is the BMW one. Holy crap, Really. How much is this roof thing going to cost me I am wondering.

Talked to my buddy who drives a Porche 911 and is into car clubs. Got a recommendation for places to get the work done. Problem is no one seems to want to work on a Z4 Roof.

One place recommended a specialty shop that does car apolstery and also specializes in soft top roof repair (all aspects) THeir motto is NO WORRY, WE GOT YOU COVERED!

Called them and they want me to drive out so they can evaluate it and determine if they even want to work on it. HOLY CRAP AGAIN, This is there speciality, for crying out loud.

Where do people go to get this type of issue Fixed? Am I going to ahve to resort to the dealer?

I would do it myself, but I am 63 now, overweight and I do not see myself getting inside the trunk, LOL Probably get stuck and unable to get out.

Looking for advice to what the most likely issue is and the likely cost of getting this thing fixed.

Oh, and the manual bypass is still not working. I am in Minnesota, USA and really want the top up for winter storage to keep varments and dirt and dust out of the interior.

Thx in advance
John

Stingerz4m

2007 z4M Roof issues

Post by Stingerz4m » Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:27 am

Also, In case I do need a new pump, what are people going with?

Any input to how much the pump relocation costs?

My gut feel is that there are seals some place that are leaking and some fluid leaked out until there is not enough to operate the system. Sure wish it was easy to add fluid. :cry:

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

2007 z4M Roof issues

Post by MikeyH » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:39 am

Have you looked on American Z4 forums as they might have guys somewhere in the US that do the motor repairs like we have over here?
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Stingerz4m

2007 z4M Roof issues

Post by Stingerz4m » Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:37 pm

Was not aware there were american Z4 forums, LOL. I am taking it in this morning to a shop that specializes in apolstery and soft top replacement and repair. Advertised to be all aspects of the roof, top, motor, hydraulics, lines, ram rods .....Their add said DONT WORRY WE GOT YOU COVERED => Their advertising slogan.

When I called them, they said I need to bring it in to see if they will even work on it. They list BMW as one of the car models they work on. GO FIGURE.

anyway, Its 41 degrees F here this morning, and I am going for an 2 hour round trip drive with my top down.
L

Stingerz4m

2007 z4M Roof issues

Post by Stingerz4m » Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:37 pm

Wish the darn mechanical bypass would work so I could at least get the roof up.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

2007 z4M Roof issues

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:59 pm

Stingerz4m wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:37 pm Wish the darn mechanical bypass would work so I could at least get the roof up.
If it won't budge then that suggests a hydraulic lock, so less likely to be a leak.............. hopefully.
The red ring operates a lever that pushes a brass valve in by only 3-4mm. Very common for them to seize.
Do NOT try to force the roof as this is likely to burst a pipe.
What you can try, (better with two or three people) operate the motor to raise the roof whilst lifting it at the same time from both sides.
It may well be that the hydraulic pump itself is failing and doesn't have enough power to lift the roof against gravity.
Whatever the issue, the motor needs to be moved into the trunk first so you can work on it.

Have done quite a few of these here in the UK, so feel free to come back with more questions.
More than happy to pop over with spares and give you a hand. Simply send a return plane ticket. :D
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

2007 z4M Roof issues

Post by MikeyH » Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:27 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:59 pm
Stingerz4m wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:37 pm Wish the darn mechanical bypass would work so I could at least get the roof up.
If it won't budge then that suggests a hydraulic lock, so less likely to be a leak.............. hopefully.
The red ring operates a lever that pushes a brass valve in by only 3-4mm. Very common for them to seize.
Do NOT try to force the roof as this is likely to burst a pipe.
What you can try, (better with two or three people) operate the motor to raise the roof whilst lifting it at the same time from both sides.
It may well be that the hydraulic pump itself is failing and doesn't have enough power to lift the roof against gravity.
Whatever the issue, the motor needs to be moved into the trunk first so you can work on it.

Have done quite a few of these here in the UK, so feel free to come back with more questions.
More than happy to pop over with spares and give you a hand. Simply send a return plane ticket. :D
From what he seems to need to pay in the US that might be cheaper :rofl: :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

2007 z4M Roof issues

Post by MikeyH » Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:30 pm

Here's one Bimmerpost.com, seems to be zpost.com also.

MKZ4000

2007 z4M Roof issues

Post by MKZ4000 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:44 pm

Over in the Uk it’s a relatively inexpensive fix but that doesn’t help you.

Most of the time the motor can be revived if that is the issue. Used ones on eBay are pretty cheap and you can use one from other cars. Minis , mustangs !

Hope you can get if fixed inexpensively
BMW E85 Z4M
BMW E85 Z4 2.5
Gone Z4 E85 3.0

abar121

2007 z4M Roof issues

Post by abar121 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:47 pm

OP,
You will probably get even more helpful responses if you post in the general E85/86 section, as this is not M specific.

Good luck getting it sorted out.
'07 Z4M Interlagos Blue. All options except extended leather.