Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

108s Corrosion ??

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Jacobkayne

108s Corrosion ??

Post by Jacobkayne » Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:04 pm

As we all know the iconic 108s are one of the best looking wheels on the Z4.

Unfortunately they suffer inherent corrosion issues.
From my understanding the main cause of this is

- Diamond cut ( no paint protection. Only a layer of lacquer which when damaged corrosion can start and spread underneath it.

-Split rim design ( specifically around the titanium bolt holes and the joint where the rim connects to the star.

My question is if I paint the entire wheel (gloss black) (including the surface that the star attaches to.
Will this prevent corrosion? And to what degree?

thecremeegg

108s Corrosion ??

Post by thecremeegg » Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:02 am

The problem is that as soon as you tighten the boilts to attached the two parts together, the paint will break underneath and they'll corrode again.
They should last a decent amount of time but it will happen again
Z4M - Interlagos Blue with Black Leather
Z4 3.0i - Sapphire Black with Red Leather - FOR SALE!

Meds

108s Corrosion ??

Post by Meds » Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:26 am

Jacobkayne wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:04 pm As we all know the iconic 108s are one of the best looking wheels on the Z4.

Unfortunately they suffer inherent corrosion issues.
From my understanding the main cause of this is

- Diamond cut ( no paint protection. Only a layer of lacquer which when damaged corrosion can start and spread underneath it.

-Split rim design ( specifically around the titanium bolt holes and the joint where the rim connects to the star.

My question is if I paint the entire wheel (gloss black) (including the surface that the star attaches to.
Will this prevent corrosion? And to what degree?
Only a full split and proffessional refurbish will sort them. Splitting is essential, usally meaning cracked bolts, too. It's a big ole job.
Many opt to use a chrome/effect paint on the outer barrel to preserve the look by not using a polished finish, some look more OEM than others.
Check out BM Autopsort, they have a set in at the moment.

They look fantiastic when new, even with standard silver rather than any thing different on the outer barrel.
I think if you use as a daily through the winter then maybe opt for another set of wheels if you want to keep them nice.
If keeping the car as a strict summer/weekend only, they look great and will last years and years.

When they're all black, they look horrific to my eyes (personally opinion), like some kids got a rattlecan from Halfords and gone at them. OEM, or silver or a grey.
E86 3.0si - Koni, Eibach, Eisenmann. viewtopic.php?t=143973
F31 340i MPPSK - Carrying family, bikes, kayaks and everything else.

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

108s Corrosion ??

Post by firebobby » Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:31 am

I still prefer the 107, looks fantastic, easier to clean and look after.
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

brillomaster

108s Corrosion ??

Post by brillomaster » Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:01 pm

i'm sure i've heard of reasonable results if you powdercoat them without splitting them.

but im with firebobby, personally i much prefer 107s.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

108s Corrosion ??

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:22 pm

I think the problem is galvanic corrosion that occurs between the alloy wheels and the bolts that hold the 2 parts together, so I don't see any finish preventing that altogether.

I sold the 108s on my 2nd Coupe while they were still in good condition and replaced them with different wheels. :)
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

108s Corrosion ??

Post by MikeyH » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:13 pm

Would stainless steel bolts help to stop the corrosion?
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.