Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

No Stock Or ETA For Replacement Airbag Module - What To Do?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
raymond.harper

Post by raymond.harper » Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:44 am

Jas- USA

Post by Jas- USA » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm

Ok, 2nd try:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295960841523?h ... R_SqhYPtYg

I plugged your BMW Part Number into ebay (USA) and this listing came up. I have never did anything with this seller so I honestly can't backstop him as good or bad.

If you want to search USA ebay yourself (or any other country's ) ebay, simply go on your ebay title page and then scroll down to the very bottom. You should see a bunch of different flags at the bottom, simply click on the flag you want to and it will take you to that country's ebay.

Sorry place your pointer on your flag on the bottom right and then the list of other countries ebay will come up.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:08 pm

EViS, David Jackson has another car in for spares next week. I’ve asked him to check that module and contact you if it’s compatible
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EViS

Post by EViS » Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:31 am

raymond.harper wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:44 am Can this small unit not be overhauled? https://www.autotronics.co.uk/ https://www.crashdata.co.uk/bmw-airbag- ... s/1843.htm
I've previously contacted both of those companies. They can only diagnose and repair the main SRS module, not the satellite modules.
Jas- USA wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm Ok, 2nd try:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295960841523?h ... R_SqhYPtYg
This is the listing I referred to earlier. Neither the item description, nor the seller feedback inspires me with much confidence to take a punt at that price.

EViS

Post by EViS » Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:36 am

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:22 am
EViS wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:46 am
Jas- USA wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:51 am Have you found your part yet? If not, https://www.pelicanparts.com/search/?q=65776948087+ This is a USA company. I found other vendors listing this part. However, I know that Pelican parts is a real company. Pelican parts per there site will ship international. However you'll have to pay whatever custom charges that are charged by your country.
NOTE: Before ordering this please contact the company by email to make sure that they have the correct part.

Hope this works out for you.
Thanks for the heads up, I received the following reply this morning, "Hello, unfortunately it does not look like I would be able to get that sensor even long term from BMW. This item is something I have marked as no longer available on my end. Sorry."

So, same reply as from every other retailer, incl. local BMW parts departments. I've also contacted every breaker I can see, no one has this module :thumbsdown:.
Keep bumping your wanted ad on here.
Then start following every breaker you can and look for any of the numbers on your list.
I'll keep checking too.
I will do :thumbsup:. I have also contacted every breaker on eBay. No luck so far but I will keep up to date with new listings going forward.
enuff_zed wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:08 pm EViS, David Jackson has another car in for spares next week. I’ve asked him to check that module and contact you if it’s compatible
Thank you so much for helping out. Truly appreciated! David did already let me know about another zed coming in for breaking just before he refunded me for the module I returned to him. I'll look forward to hearing from him :).

raymond.harper

Post by raymond.harper » Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:44 pm

There is Lee in Basingstoke, a company called Z-shed, and there are plenty in Facebook Marketplace to try your luck.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-11-02 at 11-42-33 Facebook.png
Screenshot 2023-11-02 at 11-42-33 Facebook.png (810.65 KiB) Viewed 447 times

EViS

Post by EViS » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:50 am

@enuff_zed has managed to source and deliver a replacement SBSL for which I am ever so grateful! This has now been installed, coded and cleared the airbag light. I've written a closure here to my original thread with what I learned in the process.

Thank you all for your help. :driving:

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:56 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:54 pm
EViS wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:38 pm Our 2003 e85 threw an airbag light and fault code 987B which relates to the SBSL module on the passenger side. I have already posted a thread about this here.

However, after many months of waiting, BMW still have no ETA of stock in the UK or EU and cannot place an order for a new SBSL module with part number 65776948087. This has put us in a tricky situation, especially come MOT time. Is there any way to temporarily turn-off the airbag light until such a time when we can get our hands on a replacement module?
Why are you insisting on waiting for that number, when in the other thread you were provided with a list of compatible ones?
I've just checked and don't have one, but try bigwinn, umfaan or street on here, and failing that look for David Jackson or Maz Cool on fb.
Once you find one, speak to Stuart (bigwinn), Chris (street) or me to help you code it.
Am I reading this right that you can advise on coding a used module? I have the same issue as OP and while I found a second hand part, haven't figured the coding part yet!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:07 pm

mjennings23 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:56 pm
EViS wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:38 pm Our 2003 e85 threw an airbag light and fault code 987B which relates to the SBSL module on the passenger side. I have already posted a thread about this here.

However, after many months of waiting, BMW still have no ETA of stock in the UK or EU and cannot place an order for a new SBSL module with part number 65776948087. This has put us in a tricky situation, especially come MOT time. Is there any way to temporarily turn-off the airbag light until such a time when we can get our hands on a replacement module?
Why are you insisting on waiting for that number, when in the other thread you were provided with a list of compatible ones?
I've just checked and don't have one, but try bigwinn, umfaan or street on here, and failing that look for David Jackson or Maz Cool on fb.
Once you find one, speak to Stuart (bigwinn), Chris (street) or me to help you code it.
Am I reading this right that you can advise on coding a used module? I have the same issue as OP and while I found a second hand part, haven't figured the coding part yet!
Yes!
Ask whichever of us is closest

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:10 pm

Great news you got it sorted op.
And that's what continues to be great about this forum,many years in,owners helping other owners out.

It seems that , despite BMW once priding themselves on keeping cars even 30 year old classics ,in spare parts....
Since COVID, Ukraine war/cost of living etc etc,they no longer have the desire to keep many spare parts for either the E85/86 or increasingly,E89s.
Even before the world and prices went to por,there was so many parts you can't get for our cars.

M Bumpers,M Bonnets,E85/86 Wheel Arch liners, Under trays,etc etc
As well as M Windscreens (genuine BMW with the correct shade band,etc).
And the list goes on,with various sensors,modules and the like for various things,on E85/86+89.

Or the parts are available,but at highly over inflated prices.
To me,it feels like a Stealth way of forcing cars off the Roads?
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:15 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:07 pm
mjennings23 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:56 pm
Yes!
Magic, will have a read through of the previous posts and see what I can do myself, you're all a fair distance away from Manchester!

EViS

Post by EViS » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:14 pm

mjennings23 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:15 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:07 pm
mjennings23 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:56 pm Am I reading this right that you can advise on coding a used module? I have the same issue as OP and while I found a second hand part, haven't figured the coding part yet!
Yes!
Magic, will have a read through of the previous posts and see what I can do myself, you're all a fair distance away from Manchester!
I reckon that I could probably help you out as well now. Feel free to reach out for any help. Do also read my other thread for some tips and clarifications that I found along the way.

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:20 pm

Reckon I'll have a look at tacking this tomorrow, just about dried everything out from the leaking door membrane so figure I should get the car MOT-worthy again for the summer!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:33 pm

mjennings23 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:20 pm Reckon I'll have a look at tacking this tomorrow, just about dried everything out from the leaking door membrane so figure I should get the car MOT-worthy again for the summer!
Do you have the Eidebas suite of software? If so it's fairly straightforward to follow Mac27040's guide to code the module yourself.

Just a suggestion, but you could refit the module sealed in a poly bag with a silica gel sachet for company, as a bit of future-proofing against damp.

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:44 pm

Yeah got the software installed and the battery hooked up to a charger to make sure it's happy too - honestly just ran out of time today so will hopefully get to it next weekend and see if it goes smoothly