Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tyre Dilemma

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
Baza

Tyre Dilemma

Post by Baza » Wed May 01, 2024 5:22 pm

So my car is a 2009 E89 S Drive 3.0i And no this is not about what tyres I should fit next, I can sort that one out myself. This is whether I should fit new tyres or not. At present I am running with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 which I had fitted in June 2016 , yes that’s just shy of eight years ago. And they have covered the princely amount of 7.000 miles.

Yes you could ask why only 7.000 miles, it’s a long story, part of the reason is that it’s a fair weather high days and holiday car not my daily drive. And spends the winter months on Sorn tucked up in my garage on a CTEK. And when not in use in the summer months also is garaged.

The tyres look in perfect condition with no cracks or visible faults. So the question is, have they passed their sell by date, should I change them or just carry on. Even with more anticipated use this year there is still a long way to go before I am down to the legal limit of tread. When is enough, enough.

What would be the outcome if one did decide to say have a blow out which resulted in an insurance claim, would there age give the insurance company a get out ?
Recommendations welcome.
Baza
Panther Kallista 2.8
S Drive 3.0i E89 2009 Space Grey Coral red Int 18" 295 wheels

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Tyre Dilemma

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed May 01, 2024 7:25 pm

As far as I am aware there is no specific age limit for tyres, but what I've found online suggests 5 or 6 years.

But as UV rays seem to be the biggest cause of deterioration and your car is garaged most of the time, they won't have had nearly as much exposure to UV as a car that lives outdoors.

So I suppose it's all down to personal choice. If they still perform well I'd keep using them, but others probably wouldn't.

It's certainly an interesting question even if there is no specific answer!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Tyre Dilemma

Post by B21 » Wed May 01, 2024 9:54 pm

Michelin and Continental recommend replacement no later than 10 years…
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

taz1966

Tyre Dilemma

Post by taz1966 » Wed May 01, 2024 10:07 pm

I have ps4 that are now 6 years old and on close inspection (removing them to look) they have started to crack in places.
Mine also lives in the garage and only goes out in good weather. And after time the rubber looses suppleness and ultimately performance.
That is why mine is booked in next week for 4 new tyres even though they have only covered 4500.

Baza

Tyre Dilemma

Post by Baza » Sun May 05, 2024 8:14 pm

Thanks Guys for your response. I had the Z in for its Mot last week with my local Indi all past no advisories, however comment made was its ok but just keep an eye out for the tyres There looking a bit stressed

As my Indi is not a tyre distributor or deals with tyres as a part of his business I respect his viewpoint. So like taz it goes in next week for a new set of rubbers from my local Blackcircles fitter better safe than sorry
Panther Kallista 2.8
S Drive 3.0i E89 2009 Space Grey Coral red Int 18" 295 wheels