Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Camshaft angle

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Joez4

Camshaft angle

Post by Joez4 » Sun May 05, 2024 3:49 pm

Does anyone know if the inlet camshaft angle should change when the car is revved whilst stationary?

I can see the the exhaust does but the inlet does nothing, have recently rebuilt the vanos and replaced the inlet cam position sensor as the wire insulation near the ofh had completely deteriorated to expose bare wires,

Are the aftermarket sensors a bad idea
04 2.2i Sapphire Black Roadster

BumpyZ4

Camshaft angle

Post by BumpyZ4 » Fri May 10, 2024 12:43 am

It should change angles. If it has a wire attached to it always go OEM.
2003 E85 3.0i Sterling Gray
KLR 650
Diva Roadster (Kit Car)

Joez4

Camshaft angle

Post by Joez4 » Fri May 10, 2024 9:07 am

The Febi Bilstein one I bought caused an intermittent long crank, sometimes the car wouldn't even start, so repaired the wiring on my old one which fixed the crank issue but both sensors do not give an angle change when the car is revved.

The exhaust changes with any rev increase.
Wondering if the oem sensor is failing or an issue elsewhere? Got no codes for this at all.

BumpyZ4

Camshaft angle

Post by BumpyZ4 » Wed May 15, 2024 11:16 pm

It could be your VANOS needs to be rebuilt.
2003 E85 3.0i Sterling Gray
KLR 650
Diva Roadster (Kit Car)

Joez4

Camshaft angle

Post by Joez4 » Wed May 15, 2024 11:33 pm

I rebuilt it just before Christmas, but have only done a 100 miles or so since, so might still need breaking in,

Awaiting arrival of a genuine cam position sensor, tested my old one and it changes voltage when a spanner is put near it but I noticed it practically has to touch the sensor, not sure how close the sensor is to the ring on the camshaft.

I'm gonna clean and adjust all the connectors on the engine, I've read on an e46 forums that the connectors get loose over time and can affect running, and to be fair I've already experienced a poor connection on the alternator and fan connectors that were causing intermittent fault codes so worth a shot.