Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fuse help

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
RAYK47

Fuse help

Post by RAYK47 » Sun May 12, 2024 6:17 pm

Hi all i am installing a dashcam and am looking for the best fuse numbers to install i need a switched and a perm live.

no8 is for the cig lighter and i think is switched? i dont see any issue with this one.
Was looking for the hazard light/indicator fuse for perm live but i cant make out which one it is?

Another option for perm live was the seat controls (20, 45,46), the chairs can move without having the key in the ignition. However can i use any of these fuses or only a specific one?

Can anyone who has a dashcam tell me which fuses you used?

Chippie

Fuse help

Post by Chippie » Mon May 13, 2024 8:52 am

Not sure how much help this is as I can’t remember which fuse I used for the switched live (possibly the cigarette one) but I did struggle finding a permanent live when the car went to sleep, so in the end I ran a live straight from the battery.
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

RAYK47

Fuse help

Post by RAYK47 » Mon May 13, 2024 6:03 pm

Thanks chippie.

Did you have to run it from the boot or did you use the charging point under the bonnet? I would prefer to use a fuse live to make it easier (I am sure you would have as well :rofl: )

Chippie

Fuse help

Post by Chippie » Mon May 13, 2024 9:31 pm

As I had the trim removed for fitting the rear dash cam I ran the wire in there and then down and into the battery compartment.

Silverstar

Fuse help

Post by Silverstar » Mon May 13, 2024 11:21 pm

I took both the permanent and switch live from the fuse box, although off hand I can’t remember which fuses they were. To test for permanent live I waited about 30 mins or so until all the circuits powered down and then tested the fuses to find one which had a permanent live. There really is no need to take the feed direct from the battery. I believe the cigarette lighter / 12v socket fuse powers off after 30 mins or so.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

RAYK47

Fuse help

Post by RAYK47 » Wed May 15, 2024 12:37 pm

OK after discussions with AnubisZed the conclusion is (for anyone interested or planning similar work)

62 for perm live
8 for switched

i intend to give this a try at the weekend.

Silverstar

Fuse help

Post by Silverstar » Fri May 17, 2024 8:14 pm

Just found this on the web, total lunacy if you ask me but something to consider when hard wiring a dash cam:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/2796933 ... dget-fine/

AnubisZed

Fuse help

Post by AnubisZed » Fri May 17, 2024 9:30 pm

Silverstar wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 8:14 pm Just found this on the web, total lunacy if you ask me but something to consider when hard wiring a dash cam:

Sensationalised story, made up by mixing different laws and trying to make you believe something else. Typical gutter press click bait bollox.
Never seen an option, when filling the insurance quote, for a hard wired dashcam, only ever if I have one or not.
There is no reason to touch a dashcam while driving, only to lock a video (some have voice control and some with a separate button).
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Silverstar

Fuse help

Post by Silverstar » Sat May 18, 2024 12:59 am

AnubisZed wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:30 pm
Silverstar wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 8:14 pm Just found this on the web, total lunacy if you ask me but something to consider when hard wiring a dash cam:

Sensationalised story, made up by mixing different laws and trying to make you believe something else. Typical gutter press click bait bollox.
Never seen an option, when filling the insurance quote, for a hard wired dashcam, only ever if I have one or not.
There is no reason to touch a dashcam while driving, only to lock a video (some have voice control and some with a separate button).
That article in the Sun is the second time I’ve read about declaring a hardwire dashcam. I saw it somewhere else too, basically if you hardwire your dashcam you have to declare it as a mod to your insurance company. If you don’t your insurance could refuse any claim. Bonkers really, no sense behind it.

AnubisZed

Fuse help

Post by AnubisZed » Sat May 18, 2024 8:32 am

The thing is, define "Hardwired"
To me it means a fully permanent fixing, either crimped or soldered. Whereas the kits you get for dashcams that call them hardwired, are in fact fuse piggyback connection points, and so by definition they are removable.

But my.point was that that story is pure scaremongering click bait. Doesn't matter if its appeared somewhere else, it's no different to all the other bull that the press post these days, a slight element of truth thrown together with a load of exaggerated crap.

But as I've said, I've seen the option for a dashcam, but never an option for it being hardwired whenever I've filled out the insurance questionnaire. So if they don't ask for it, or give the option, then it can't legally be a get-out clause for them.
That story is putting different laws together, that are for different reasons, and trying to scare the public... like always!
Dave

RAYK47

Fuse help

Post by RAYK47 » Sat May 18, 2024 1:04 pm

Ok so I have been looking to finish the installation and I have hit a snag.

I know the fuse box is a pain but I seem to be having additional issues not encountered by the YouTube videos I have watched.

I seem to have an additional loom that I have not seen on any of the vids I have watched. This loom is stopping me pulling the fuse box down far enough to pull out.
IMG-20240518-WA0006.jpeg
IMG-20240518-WA0006.jpeg (106.59 KiB) Viewed 202 times
And the part on the right is very high so stopping me pulling it out.
IMG-20240518-WA0008.jpeg
IMG-20240518-WA0008.jpeg (89.48 KiB) Viewed 202 times

Any ideas? I don't want to force anything and pull something out or worse break it.

Chippie

Fuse help

Post by Chippie » Sat May 18, 2024 2:06 pm

I had to same issue with mine, I unplugged the connector and repossessed its run, just to note when you unplug the connector the wipers will start and I think the alarm went off and the hazards flashed.
Last edited by Chippie on Sat May 18, 2024 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matsmith749

Fuse help

Post by matsmith749 » Sat May 18, 2024 2:32 pm

Yep - that loom is there on mine too.

You just gotta be brave & wiggle it down until you cam slide it forwards - it does eventually.

Horrible design.
From Jan 2023 2016 e89 Z4 35is / mineral white / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2010 e89 Z4 35is / space grey / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2007 e85 Z4 3.0 si sport / midnight blue / champagne interior

RAYK47

Fuse help

Post by RAYK47 » Sat May 18, 2024 3:23 pm

Cheers gents

AnubisZed

Fuse help

Post by AnubisZed » Mon May 20, 2024 1:27 pm

UPDATE.....

OK so following on from the initial post here I can categorically confirm that Fuse 62 works absolutely fine for the permanent supply, as does fuse 63. This is because these are non-controlled circuits, ie; they do not switch off after a certain amount of time (normally about 15 minutes).

Now there are other fuses that are also on this ring of permanent fuses BUT some of them I'd seriously advise against pulling to fit a piggy-back fuse holder, eg; any fuse that feeds the FRM. You could end up with a whole barrel of trouble if you blow your FRM, which can very easily happen with pulling and then re-inserting the fuse feeding it. That is why I've listed the two above, F62 feeds the Function Control Centre (the roof light assembly), which is a fairly safe one to disconnect and F63 feeds the adaptive suspension and is a live point even you don't have adaptive suspension.

And for the switched supply, then Fuse 8 is perfectly fine as it supplies the cigar/12v socket

This, obviously, pertains to dashcams that have Parking Guard, dashcams with out it would then only require the Fuse 8 to turn the dashcam on when the car is started.

Hope that all helps :thumbsup:
Dave