Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

bent wheel sound

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

bent wheel sound

Post by MikeyH » Wed May 15, 2024 6:49 pm

Hi Guys, what sort of sound does a bent wheel make and can it be bent by a clumsy tyre fitter? Mike.
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

bent wheel sound

Post by enuff_zed » Wed May 15, 2024 7:20 pm

MikeyH wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:49 pm Hi Guys, what sort of sound does a bent wheel make and can it be bent by a clumsy tyre fitter? Mike.
If he was a gorilla!
More likely to be the dust shield bent while fitting/removing the wheel so it is catching the disc.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

raymond.harper

bent wheel sound

Post by raymond.harper » Wed May 15, 2024 7:23 pm

A bent alloy wheel would cause severe vibration as you drive along from the affected wheel. Check the wheel nuts are tight first

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

bent wheel sound

Post by MikeyH » Wed May 15, 2024 11:39 pm

Thank you both, I have had the wheels off to do the roof drains so will check tomorrow but hopefully okay and I have felt around the wheels and can’t feel anything odd. I did wonder if the hand brake pads might be causing a problem as they squeak sometimes. :thumbsup: Mike.
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

bent wheel sound

Post by MikeyH » Thu May 16, 2024 12:14 pm

Glad it’s not a bent wheel, made another quick feel around the wheels this morning can’t see if anything is rubbing though. I’ll check the wheel nuts later :thumbsup: I had wondered if a stone had got in behind somewhere like on the G29 but have wiggled the backing plate and nothing has dropped out :thumbsup: &

pvr
Legend
Legend

bent wheel sound

Post by pvr » Thu May 16, 2024 12:40 pm

Before my rusted back plates were replaced, they made a terrible noise when reversing. I would not rule them out unless you have really seen them not touching the wheel
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

bent wheel sound

Post by MikeyH » Thu May 16, 2024 6:47 pm

pvr wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:40 pm Before my rusted back plates were replaced, they made a terrible noise when reversing. I would not rule them out unless you have really seen them not touching the wheel
I will have a proper look over the weekend, it sounds like when you spin a hosepipe round and round. I'm hoping it's not the back axle, if it is I will put up with it. Mike.

pvr
Legend
Legend

bent wheel sound

Post by pvr » Thu May 16, 2024 7:32 pm

The more you describe it, the more it sounds like what mine was like.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

bent wheel sound

Post by MikeyH » Thu May 16, 2024 8:33 pm

pvr wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 7:32 pm The more you describe it, the more it sounds like what mine was like.
Thank you PVR, this has been bugging me for weeks, I will have a proper look. :thumbsup: