Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Engine Warning Light On

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Curtis

Engine Warning Light On

Post by Curtis » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:42 pm

Yesterday on my way home from work my engine management light came on and stayed on. There was no obvious effect on performance etc so I guessed it was just a simple O2 sensor fault or something similar. Anyway, I attached my diagnostic unit and it says there are no fault codes and nothing is outside it's tolerance. Despite this the light has remained on continually. I have tried to clear codes ( not that there are any ) and I disconnected the battery overnight. On reconnection the light came on again immediately. again I checked for faults and nothing is registered. I'm left wondering whether my control unit is toast or there's a short in the wiring somewhere. I'm only going to the stealer as a last resort so if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions let me know. :cry:

One last thing, I've lost the email address for Chris at Alpina in Germany. Anybody got it?

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Engine Warning Light On

Post by sp3ctre » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:57 pm

Wow, I'm amazed how relaxed you are about that... I'd be brickin it by now!!! Sorry I don't have an email address, but hopefully someone will be along soon. I'd ask the admins of the other forums, but I don't know who they are (note to self... sort that out!)
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

Curtis

Post by Curtis » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:10 pm

I've always used the principle that worrying about it won't improve anything so why bother! I might change my mind if the cost reaches the thousands though! :wink:

Curtis

Post by Curtis » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:34 pm

The panic is over. Sort of! Nothing major wrong but code PO430 and PO420 was in the "pending" memory of the ECU. This relates to the efficiency of the two catalytic converters. I fitted 100 cell cats a few months ago and it would appear that the ECU has now decided to grumble about the lack of efficiency over stock. All I have to do seemingly is remap the ECU and allow for a higher tolerance. These codes didn't show up on the original test because they are non generic and only came to light after digging further into the darkest recesses of th ECU memory! The strange thing is that it took months to register the problem. The codes have now been cleared and the light hasn't come back on. At least I'll know what the problem is if it happens again before I get a chance to do a remap.

zee42

Post by zee42 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:01 pm

I was going to suggest kicking it real hard...or hitting it with a hammer,always seems to put out the lights on my dash :driving:

Curtis

Post by Curtis » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:42 am

I tried shouting really loud and swearing a lot but that didn't work. Might try your methods if it comes on again! It seems to work on other things so it's definately worth a try. Failing that I'll threaten it with the welding torch, that should frighten it into submission! You know what can happen when I let loose with welding equipment! :fuelfire:

zee42

Post by zee42 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:46 pm

yeah I know.....remember this one when you took the torch to it because the gas cap was stuck!!!!!!!!

Curtis

Post by Curtis » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:32 pm

Seemed like a good idea at the time, have you seen my new cutting torch by the way? I decided to get the biggest nozzle size I could, there's no point messing around after all.

zee42

Post by zee42 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:58 am

WOW!!!! that has real potential....can't wait fot the next diy