Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

04 z4 sub and amp install

aerojamesz4

04 z4 sub and amp install

Post by aerojamesz4 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:08 am

Hey guys new member here. I've got an 04 z4 with the 10 speaker hifi (non-carver) system and would like to add a kicker zx750.1 amp to one 12" kicker L7 sub.

I plan on using the stock speakers and headunit, so will I need to purchase a high to low output converter?

I've searched on the forum and read various posts and DIY sub installs, but I haven't seen any mention of a high low converter.

Also, I assumed it was better to disconnect the stock subs and use that wiring, however I've seen people tap into the mid-speakers behind the driver and passenger and have allegedly gotten better results. Would it be better to do this or just use the sub cables?

Thanks for all of your help!

James

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Re: 04 z4 sub and amp install

Post by gannet » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:34 am

no idea about your question but welcome to the forum :D
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:17 pm

Welcome James - as gannet, can't immediately help but I'm sure someone will. :thumbsup:
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Andy » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:40 pm

Welcome!

There's plenty, have a look in the FAQ for one, search on my posts as I have a Cleansweep feeding an Alpine PDX-4.150 in mine.

If you know you don't have Carver you're a little further on than most questions, your's is technically harder (than the basic 6spk) if you want to replace stuff, but I think if you only want to supplement and take the rear outputs (as I have) and feed them into your amp you should be ok.

However - I haven't had time to get to the bottom of mine totally yet but I'm convinced it's not a full range signal to those speakers, would make sense not to feed 4" mids with full range, but I don't know where that's done. My front sounds so damn good now it's not in a hurry, but the back is woeful when I fade.

Un1eash is the other fella who will be able to offer good insight.
Imola Z4MR #0026 6 yrs, & 66k so far..

aerojamesz4

Post by aerojamesz4 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:14 am

Thanks for the welcome gammit, AlanJ and Andy.

I found another sub install that helped me immensely (see http://www.billswebspace.com/MZ4Subwoof ... lation.htm). Looks like its best to purchase the MTX REQ line outout converter when connecting the sub to factory speakers and unit.

Also, with regards to tapping into the mids vs. using sub connections, its better to use the sub connections as they go down to 30hz while the midbass drivers only go down to 50hz, as the author of the Z4 M coupe install notes.

Not doing this install for a few more days, so if anyone has anymore information that could help me it would be more than appreciated!

Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Andy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:29 am

Excellent link, that's pretty much the only Custom Audio Install I've seen from soneone with a full on Carver / THX system that's bypassed the issues of digital / optical.

On mine I had the Standard 6spk hence no sub connectionms to tap into.

If this link is still around, it's probably useful too:
http://users.telenet.be/AcousticSolutio ... arhifi.htm
EDIT: It's not.. I'll see if it's been replaced.. that *was* the best Z4 Audio write up.
EDIT: another thread:
http://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 2F#p214641

aerojamesz4

Post by aerojamesz4 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:57 am

Just letting everyone know, I purchased a MTX RE-Q5 signal processor for this set up. I already have a controller for my sub that came with my amp, but this provides another controller for the output and includes an AUX input for my iPod! So now I don't need to worry about installing the BMW AUX input.

Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Andy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:01 pm

Just like the Cleansweep then, 32 channel active DSP (iirc) and Aux Input too.

I still installed the BMW Aux as I love the way it integrates with the stereo :thumbsup:

aerojamesz4

Post by aerojamesz4 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:15 pm

Andy, if I'm not satisfied with the MTX Aux input, I'll be sure to order the BMW one!

Thanks for all your help once again.