Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dealer diagnosis - charge?

Whether it's exceptional service or a bad experience, post them here. (Disclaimer: posters views are their own and not that of z4-forum.com)
Mister_dj

Post by Mister_dj » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:03 am

Hi everyone, I have a newbie question!

As I mentioned in another topic, my car now has a slight judder under braking - my best guess is that it's pad compound left in the discs after a session of "spirited driving" which is the cause of the vibrations.

I'd like to take the car to a BMW dealership, as it still is under AUC warranty, to see what can they do about it. My question is whether I will be charged for a diagnosis of the "fault"? Being my first car in the UK, I am not sure how dealers work here, hence the question. If they charge something I will probably just go straight to an independent and fit better brake components.

Happy to hear your thoughts, thanks.
Silver Z4 coupe 3.0SI sport

ksher
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Dealer diagnosis - charge?

Post by ksher » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:12 am

If the car has AUC warranty, dealers will not charge for diagnosis provided that the problem is covered by warranty.
Current BMW: 640d Gran Coupe M Sport (F06), 118d SE (F20).
Previous BMW: Z4 sDrive23i M Sport (E89), 318i Sport (F30), 120d SE (F20), Z4 2.5i Sport Roadster (E85), 523i Sport (E60), 323Ci (E46), 523i SE (E39), 318i (E36).

CoupeChief

Post by CoupeChief » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:36 am

I had same problem and dealer fitted new disks and pads under the AUC warranty 
'08 E92 M3, Manual, SIlverstone II, 19" M Double-spoke alloys
'07 3.0si Coupe, Silver Grey, 18" 108's, Dream Red M Sport Seats [Sold]

Nickm

Post by Nickm » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:27 am

if its not under warranty - the could charge you to diagnose it, but if you get the work done from them, they should refund it to you against the work being done.

I got charged £250 on my RRS to be told I needed a new Tuner/CD Head unit - an £800 replacement cost - I left it for a week and it started working again. Did I pay the dealer the fee? What do you think......

Mister_dj

Post by Mister_dj » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:25 pm

car will booked at BMW Battersea, I'll post feedback later :thumbsup:

lacroupade
Lifer
Lifer

Post by lacroupade » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:04 pm

Not so common with modern materials but the disks could be warped.......can't see that being a warranty job myself...but what do I know.
==============================================================
If toast always lands jam side down, and a cat always lands on its feet, what happens when you strap a piece of toast, jam side up, to the back of a cat?

Mister_dj

Post by Mister_dj » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:33 pm

Forgot to update this.

I was charged £90 for the inspection, where they saw that I had to buy a new set of discs/ pads, due to corrosion, and this would not wear off with time. This was not covered by AUC, and would cost close to £900. I told them not to do the job, as for that sort of money I can buy better stuff than OEM. However, while I was deciding on what to buy I kept driving it, and after a few brake tests on an empty road, the vibration is gone! I've done 500 miles since that, and the brakes are fine, no judder at all, and with the usual braking power.

Therefore, my feedback from the dealer cannot be positive in this case, as they took money from me and not even did a prover diagnosis. :thumbsdown: