Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

First time engine clean

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
alanhasanicez4m

First time engine clean

Post by alanhasanicez4m » Sun May 22, 2011 3:17 pm

Hey folks, so I don't really know where to start, so any advise would be very welcome. I've been on to cleanyourcar.co.uk but don't really know what I should buy, and when I buy it, I don't know where to put it. I know that sounds silly but I don't want to find out later that you can't put blah blah blah on the ya ya ya, doh!

Can someone recommend a shopping list to clean the m engine? I've attached a photo of my engine, it would be cool if we could call out the areas that take each particular product :oops:

I'll stick a photo up when I'm done too.

Thanks

DrNick

Re: First time engine clean

Post by DrNick » Sun May 22, 2011 6:00 pm

looks clean already to me!
2007 Carbon Black 2.0 Sport + comfort pack + bluetooth - Loved and not forgotten!
2012 E89 Space Grey M Sport 2.0 Auto - need to update signature!

MyNamesNotBob

Post by MyNamesNotBob » Sun May 22, 2011 6:09 pm

APC, brushes, hand sprayer, poorboys natural look dressing or 303 aerospace. Then Autosol or Megs metal polish for the metal, and a ton of Microfibres.

That should see you on the way.
Imola Red Z4MC Currently up for sale: CLICKY

MyNamesNotBob

Post by MyNamesNotBob » Sun May 22, 2011 6:11 pm

Imola Red Z4MC Currently up for sale: CLICKY

TINO

Post by TINO » Sun May 22, 2011 6:17 pm

after a engine cleaner and small brush if needed,when still wet spray with autoglym tyre dressing. You wont belive the shine :D
sterling grey ,red skins,, big wheels crap tyres sunny side up 2.2 female.
The middle of the road is a dangerous place you have to take sides.Image

Redzedfour
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Redzedfour » Sun May 22, 2011 6:56 pm

I did a engine clean the other week but i just used TFR and a jet washer that was enough for me and it got rid of the winter crud :thumbsup:
Previous,Bright Red 2.2 Roadster
Gone 3.0si Sport coupe Auto,Pearl Grey Leather & Piano Black. MODS, Stubby,Aux,Aero Wipers,De-Badged,452's & Led N/P lights

GAZA62
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GAZA62 » Sun May 22, 2011 7:15 pm

T.SILVER 2004 3.0SE AUTO

IF IT WAS NOT FOR BAD LUCK I'D HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun May 22, 2011 7:47 pm

Redzedfour wrote:I did a engine clean the other week but i just used TFR and a jet washer that was enough for me and it got rid of the winter crud :thumbsup:
Jetwashers are great to clean things but also one of the quickest ways to damage an engine. Unfortunatly they drive dirt and grit into and behind the many seals and parts or periherals, moisure in electonic boxes, dirt in alternators and on and on...
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Redzedfour
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Redzedfour » Sun May 22, 2011 7:53 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:
Redzedfour wrote:I did a engine clean the other week but i just used TFR and a jet washer that was enough for me and it got rid of the winter crud :thumbsup:
Jetwashers are great to clean things but also one of the quickest ways to damage an engine. Unfortunatly they drive dirt and grit into and behind the many seals and parts or periherals, moisure in electonic boxes, dirt in alternators and on and on...
Always avoid the major parts of the engine ,and also don't go in with full power and not had any probs.
Previous,Bright Red 2.2 Roadster
Gone 3.0si Sport coupe Auto,Pearl Grey Leather & Piano Black. MODS, Stubby,Aux,Aero Wipers,De-Badged,452's & Led N/P lights

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun May 22, 2011 7:57 pm

Redzedfour wrote:
cj10jeeper wrote:
Always avoid the major parts of the engine ,and also don't go in with full power and not had any probs.
They're sensible precautions to take, but some read what's posted and dive in unaware. The problems come longer term and the grit and dirt under seals takes its toll. spotless brake pipes rust, alternator bearing with grit in wear, etc.

Take my word for it. I've seen many a Jeep damaged by harsh jetwashing of the engine, albeit of course this is more extreme.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

scottbt

Post by scottbt » Sun May 22, 2011 8:46 pm

Dependant on the current state of the engine you can typically get away with an all purpose cleaner, agitated with soft brushes and wiped clean with microfibre towels. Waste of money getting expensive ones as you will want to throw them away after use on the engine. Finish kares top kote tire gloss is a great vynil and rubber dressing with anti static formula so will detract dust clinging so quickly to the engine compartment. As for the jetwash / pressure wash thing. Many a scare mongers tale has seen such issues but tbh, ive worked on all manner of cars since 95` from old Vauxhall nova's to bentley continental gt's and more besides. Never come across an issue yet. If doing this method, best applying WD40 to all electrical areas as this aids in warding off unwanted water getting into areas that you dont want to. If doing it yourself, always an idea to work on the side of caution. :thumbsup:
High gloss loving rotarian with a love of things all perfect and glossy.

alanhasanicez4m

Post by alanhasanicez4m » Mon May 23, 2011 7:53 am

Thanks everyone, thats some great advice. @MyNamesNotBob, thats a great thread you put together too :).

Yea I'm glad its not too dirty to start with, hopefully it will turn out real nice!