Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Have polished + waxed - what about next time?

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
benlumley

Have polished + waxed - what about next time?

Post by benlumley » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:21 pm

Hi

6 weeks or so ago I spent a couple of afternoons cleaning the car thoroughly, then couple of coats of SRP, couple of EGP and Collinite 476 on top.

I've shampooed it a few times since, and have some meguiars last touch because I've become obsessed with removing water marks (which are bad on waxed black paint!).

Anyhow, having done all that, what do i do if/when I want to polish, wax etc again?

Do i use one of these deep clean shampoos and take it all off first? Or do I wash/polish/wax on top of what I've done? Or something else?

What about if i want to clay? I've noticed a few places where i've waxed over grime.

I've tried to find answers on detailing world, but information overload left me no better off than before i started!
06 Black 3.0si Roadster

Z4 Beemer

Re: Have polished + waxed - what about next time?

Post by Z4 Beemer » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:03 pm

To strip the wax back, I would use something like Megs APC (Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner), as a wash and then you will be good to go again with polish and wax.

You could just do the full works on the entire panel that needs clayed.

Haven't tried Collinite 476 but I am a big fan of 915.
Current: 2016 Audi S3 :: Navarra Blue
Gone: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i :: Deep Sea Blue
Gone: 2004 Z4 2.2i SE :: Maldives Blue

eleflo

Post by eleflo » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:48 pm

Your wax should be OK for quite a few washes if you use a shampoo that does not strip wax, but if you feel you want to strip the wax then this is just my view and may be shot down by the detailers on here, you may need to clay first and this will take off most of the protection then use a specific paint cleanser, something like DODO juice lime prime lite (loads of different ones out there), then use IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol), to take off any remaining polish this will give you clean a surface which will make sure your wax has the best chance of curing to the paint.

wrong roof, 2 pots short, stubby, wrong exhaust, no heated seats, but I luuuuv it, Now all gone to a new home

Nickm

Post by Nickm » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:01 pm

Fairy Liquid wil take the car all the way back....I would use clay and tardis.....then wash it again, two bucket - but befoe any of this, snow foam it to remove any sediment and crap to fall away....

Reggie-g75

Post by Reggie-g75 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:30 pm

Nickm wrote:Fairy Liquid wil take the car all the way back....I would use clay and tardis.....then wash it again, two bucket - but befoe any of this, snow foam it to remove any sediment and crap to fall away....

X1 - this is a method advocated when using zaino....

Although what is the harm with just repeating the process after the normal rinse, pre, 2bm wash etc etc....
3.0 si sport coupe '07; auto, carbon black, beige oregon interior, zenons, sat nav (with speed cameras!), bluetooth, heated seats, comfort pack, Parrot MKi9200, stubby (from b'ham) and maybe a few other bits....

powerontap

Post by powerontap » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:12 pm

Getting the surface ready for the new finish is critical for proper results. The plastic bag procedure (putting your hand in a plastic bag and rubbing a few fingers gently against the surface) will tell you if claying is required. If you feel any abrasion, claying is necessary.

Then, it's a question of removing or filling swirls (depending on how anal you are about your car) with the proper degree of abrasive polish, or sealer if filling is as far as you wish to go. Finish with one or several coats of wax. Next time, you simply wax as often as you can to protect your hard work. :thumbsup:
Go Topless

benlumley

Post by benlumley » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:10 pm

Cheers all - pleased with how it's looking atm, so will enjoy my hard work for another couple of months i think.

I know I can do it better though, now I've done it all once, so will probably aim to fairy liquid and re-do it all before the winter comes!
06 Black 3.0si Roadster

Z4 Beemer

Post by Z4 Beemer » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:27 pm

powerontap, this is so true. Getting the surface prepared for polishing, and then prepared again for waxing, or sealing will give a much better finish in the end.
Current: 2016 Audi S3 :: Navarra Blue
Gone: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i :: Deep Sea Blue
Gone: 2004 Z4 2.2i SE :: Maldives Blue