Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Scratch on bonnet.

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
Pilly

Scratch on bonnet.

Post by Pilly » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:27 pm

On last 4 days of months tour if europe. Get out this morning and 2 bloody scratches on bonnet. Look to me as claw marks. Might only be in the lacquer but not sure. Can't see the primer or metal through them. Also looks like One on the top of the bumper just below the bonnet.

If they are just in lacquer an suggestions how to get them out????

prod1

Re: Scratch on bonnet.

Post by prod1 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:22 pm

Really depends on how deep they are, can you feel any resistance if you put a fingernail across them? if so I would suggest it may be a case of using a rotary (if you know how) or getting in touch with someone that does, let me know where you are, if I can't help you personally I will know of someone in your area that can. :driving:

Trying to remove scratches by hand on a large area like a bonnet can be problematic, but if they're reasonably light give it a go with something like 3M scratch remover or Meguiars scratch X2.0 both are intended to be applied by hand, go easy with very light pressure and do the whole bonnet......good luck :headbang:

"God must love stupid people, he's made so many"

Current ride: Z4 Coupe, Deep Blue on Champagne
E46 M3 Estoril Blue on Red

Pilly

Post by Pilly » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:49 pm

U can feel the scratch if u run ur nail over it. Prob about 10" long.

When I bought the car I got GAP. Insurance and some paint protection thrown in ad they wouldn't drop price. I am going to ring the insurance as they are supposed to send someone out to look at it and repair scratches. Nit sure how good they will be etc.

prod1

Post by prod1 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:27 am

it's suprising how much can be done to remove scratches, but all sorts of things come into play, cars age, condition, what type of paint and depth of paint, if its a new car then it really shouldn't be a problem, its just a question of judging if there's enough clearcoat to correct the problem, let me know how you get on.

"God must love stupid people, he's made so many"

Current ride: Z4 Coupe, Deep Blue on Champagne
E46 M3 Estoril Blue on Red