Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Air vent rattle

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
adambmw

Air vent rattle

Post by adambmw » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:13 pm

Anyone had a problem with the driver and passenger side air vents rattling?

Mine are rattling like crazy, I have tried taking them out, using lubricant, and BMW rattle felt tape in various places but the dam rattles keep coming back.......... (they seem really badly designed)

I could take it to the dealer (still have warranty) but they probably won't cure it and damage the trim if previous visits are anything to go by!

Also have a rattle coming from the plastic cover thing on the inside plastic attached to the roof just by the rear view mirror

Any clues gratefully appreciated, the Z would be the perfect car if it wasn't for all these dam rattles driving me mad!

Thanks!

srhutch

Re: Air vent rattle

Post by srhutch » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:12 pm

I have seen posts regarding dashboard clips that require removing of the vents to fix, maybe thats the same problem or is it def the vents?

I have the rattle directly above the rear view mirror, and the winsdcreen posts. Cheap plastics, guess they all need removing and some padding inserting behind. Just the slightest touch stops mine from rattling,

adambmw

Post by adambmw » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:52 pm

About 90% sure, I guess if could be something to do with the clips behind them.

Can you remember the jist of what the issue was - done a quick search but nothing.

I am going to try taking the vents out for a week to see if I still get the same rattles

Justinitus

Post by Justinitus » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:45 pm

Had both my side vents replaced under warranty as the were buzzing like crazy. Known problem and changed without question. However the new ones have ever so slightly diferent knurled knobs so they did not match the centre vent exactly. Its a revised part and the dealer then changed the centre vent for me so it all matched. Maybe ur not such a fussy bu@@we like me though!
Regards

Jus

RIP: '06 2.0i Sport, Montego Blue with heated black leather

adambmw

Post by adambmw » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:31 pm

Maybe ur not such a fussy bu@@we like me though!
Bet I am :)

Thanks for that, its due a service next month - I am going to tell them I want the vents replaced (not ask because they won't do it)

enfield

Post by enfield » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:49 pm

They have to gets the vents from Germany and it took a month!! I had vent problems with my "Roaster" and it took a month to get the parts.... Order them now so that they can be put in next month!!
The Z4M Roaster & Croup are gone!
It's E92 M3 from now on.

grdz4roadster

Post by grdz4roadster » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:54 am

Here's a link to help you remove the vents (at least the center vents)... http://www.zpost.com/forums/showpost.ph ... stcount=22
2006 3.0i Mods so far: Perma Plate, OEM Wind Def. & A/W Mats, Int. Xenons, Aux Input, Stubby Ant. & BMW mobility kit Mods to be done: Silverstar Ultra Lights, Chrome tips & 18" Rims (TBD)

Justinitus

Post by Justinitus » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:08 pm

Hi All

The vents that were replaced in my car are the same part number but a slightly different design, using a hard plastic adjuster wheel instead of the nice rubberised one originally fitted. Slightly different design if you look closely.....

But they don't buzz or rattle!

Original vent:

New vent:

took me ages to work out how to get these pics online.....!!!!
Regards

Jus

RIP: '06 2.0i Sport, Montego Blue with heated black leather