Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

HELP ! Stress cracks on my 19inch alloys

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
gaz711

HELP ! Stress cracks on my 19inch alloys

Post by gaz711 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:14 am

Hi just purchased a 2010 z4 2.5 s.drive fitted with 255/30 19 rear wheels had tyre warning light show so straight into trye dealer to find both rear alloys with multiple stress cracks on inside of rim (one had 8 on it !)
Local bmw dealer trying to put it down to poor driving through potholes and wont put through warranty i know bmw had loads of problems with this tyre size on 3 seris could this be now re happaning on z4s ? anyone else with this problem or can anyone advise on what to do next ?
personally i dont think the lowprofile runflats with a 30 profile on 19 inch rims can absorb impacts because of the thick tyrewall and this is what causes the stress fractures
regards Gary

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Re: HELP ! Stress cracks on my 19inch alloys

Post by a11y » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:32 am

I'd go down the same path as the 3-series owners have: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190162. I've not read the entire thread (I'm sticking firmly with 18" and non-RFTs!) but I believe there's a process BMW dealers are supposed to follow for e90s. Can't imagine it being different for E89s.

How long have you had the car? Long enough for 8 cracks to appear on a single wheel? Sure the wheels should've been checked before purchase by the dealer (assuming it's an AUC). Even if it wasn't AUC that doesn't sound safe/fit to be sold in that state. IMO.
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

Z4-35i

Post by Z4-35i » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:33 pm

What wheel type do you have on your Z4? The 296 style wheel has had the most issues with stress fractures on the Z4 to date.

There are 100s of reports of this on the net.

We recently purchased an approved Z4 and asked if there were any issues with the wheels before we signed and were told that there were no issues. After purchasing we found that both rear wheels and previously been replaced under BMW warranty and this was clearly shown on the internal BMW service history report.

The 296 wheel was also redesigned in 2011 and has a different style inner rim, which is a definite admission that there was a design issue with the original wheels.

I'd push really hard for replacements under warranty, collate the information that's on this site and also on e89.zpost and take this with you to support your position. If you don't get any movement, let BMW know you'll be contacting trading standards and MIRA to have the defective wheels formally analysed and assessed.

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:38 pm

There are known issues with the 296 style wheels for cracking, I would say 80% of the forum guys on here with these wheels have had cracking issues on the rear, do a search and you will find plenty. That wheel has now been redesigned to make it stronger.

Hello and welcome btw
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

Z4-35i

Post by Z4-35i » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:48 pm

We also just changed our tyres to non-RFTs. The improvement in ride quality is significant and will also hopefully reduce the stresses being passed through the tyre wall to the wheels.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:15 pm

a11y wrote:I'd go down the same path as the 3-series owners have: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190162. I've not read the entire thread (I'm sticking firmly with 18" and non-RFTs!) but I believe there's a process BMW dealers are supposed to follow for e90s. Can't imagine it being different for E89s.

How long have you had the car? Long enough for 8 cracks to appear on a single wheel? Sure the wheels should've been checked before purchase by the dealer (assuming it's an AUC). Even if it wasn't AUC that doesn't sound safe/fit to be sold in that state. IMO.
Don't put much faith in AUC! Mine was AUC, and when my wheels (296) failed, the cracks had corrosion around them, and I'd only had the car a couple of weeks, so I feel certain the car was sold to me with the cracks in the wheels. I've madly gone to the expense of purchasing a spare 296 (2nd hand) just in case this crops up again as I can't be doing with a BMW battle again and again.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:01 pm

And now it seems 326 style wheels are suffering!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:08 pm

FFS!!!! :headbang:
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

gaz711

Post by gaz711 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:51 pm

a11y wrote:I'd go down the same path as the 3-series owners have: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190162. I've not read the entire thread (I'm sticking firmly with 18" and non-RFTs!) but I believe there's a process BMW dealers are supposed to follow for e90s. Can't imagine it being different for E89s.

cheers mate unfortuently bought the car from a non approved dealer about a month ago so have inherited the problem bmw are looking at the rims friday but im not holding out much hope . will keep you posted

gaz711

Post by gaz711 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:55 pm

Z4-35i wrote:What wheel type do you have on your Z4? The 296 style wheel has had the most issues with stress fractures on the Z4 to date.

There are 100s of reports of this on the net.

We recently purchased an approved Z4 and asked if there were any issues with the wheels before we signed and were told that there were no issues. After purchasing we found that both rear wheels and previously been replaced under BMW warranty and this was clearly shown on the internal BMW service history report.

The 296 wheel was also redesigned in 2011 and has a different style inner rim, which is a definite admission that there was a design issue with the original wheels.

I'd push really hard for replacements under warranty, collate the information that's on this site and also on e89.zpost and take this with you to support your position. If you don't get any movement, let BMW know you'll be contacting trading standards and MIRA to have the defective wheels formally analysed and assessed.
thanks for your advice it is the 296s on the car good point about the redesign in 2011 bmw are looking at the rims friday meanwhile im collecting as much evidence as possible ! will keep you posted

mrlozzer
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mrlozzer » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:05 pm

And don't think this is limited to Z4 rims either. My 5er had two sets of 18s (124s) replaced under warranty and I've had problems with two other sets (MV2s). Mrs Lozzer's new X3 is on its second set... both cars originally on RFTs... :thumbsdown:
Sold:3.0i|Sterling Grey|heated leather|nav|DSP|18" CSL reps|452s|eibach|facelift & de-ginger|aero skirts|alcantara MFSW|CF badges|DICE|cruise|gaptech|strut brace|Alcantara M seats

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:41 pm

sars wrote:There are known issues with the 296 style wheels for cracking, I would say 80% of the forum guys on here with these wheels have had cracking issues on the rear, do a search and you will find plenty. That wheel has now been redesigned to make it stronger.

Hello and welcome btw

Surely this must be an acknowledgement that there is a design fault?

Has a similar rectification happened on the 326's as well i wonder - Thats what my new to me has fitted!!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: