Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

"Shooter" - great movie!!

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
enfield

"Shooter" - great movie!!

Post by enfield » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:57 am

Just watched "Shooter". I LOVED it!! Anyone else seen it??

http://www.shootermovie.com/
The Z4M Roaster & Croup are gone!
It's E92 M3 from now on.

zednik

Post by zednik » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:52 pm

I have not seen it yet but I love most of the Stephen Hunter novels. It's always gratifying when an author understands the technical aspects of his subject. With a username of enfield you must know a thing or two about rifles eh?
AKA......Lord Febreeze

enfield

Post by enfield » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:47 pm

Yeah - I know a thing or 2 and enjoy shooting at long ranges. My favourite is a modified .223 Remington 700 that is pretty good to 600 metres. I also like my 300 Win Mag Remington 700.

I have an old Lee-Enfield .303 from WWII. My Maternal Grandfather was in the Army in WWII and he used one to good effect. I do not use that rifle. Keep it oiled and stored in my gunsafe.

Back to the movie! Gosh I loved it so much that I will not burn it and will instead buy it :thumbsup:
It's E92 M3 from now on.

20ducks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 20ducks » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:56 pm

Clancy is the same technical way now isn't he?

zednik

Post by zednik » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:43 am

Clancy is sure deep into the techno side but Stephen Hunter really took the time to learn small arms, particularly rifles, ballistics, and long range marksmanship arcana.
AKA......Lord Febreeze

enfield

Post by enfield » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:46 am

Clancy's details sometimes are too much for me.... I loose my attantion :oops:
It's E92 M3 from now on.

zednik

Post by zednik » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:58 am

Speaking of Clancy, has he released anything new lately?
AKA......Lord Febreeze

Yal

Post by Yal » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:48 am

Bob the Nailer is my hero!

Enfield, most doctors that I know (both of them) hate guns. Are you just different, or is it a Canada thing?

My favorite was my Weatherby Mark V in .300 Weatherby magnum. What a joy/pain to shoot!

enfield

Post by enfield » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:46 am

zednik
Haven't been paying attention to Clancy.... Should check. I like his novels but do not like the series such as "Op centre" etc.

Yal
That's a BIG gun my friend!! My interest in firearms has to do with my grandad. He was a Lt. Col. in the Indian Army during WWII and was stationed in Syria. No Germans there - so he hunted. Got me into it too!! I was planning on going to Africa (Namibia) in 2002 with some friends to bag Cape Buffalo. Then 9/11 happened and we decided not to go. I had my Remington 700 (300 Win Mag) & Winchester 70 (375 H&H Mag) all set. The .375 H&H Mag is the biggest round I have fired off-hand. It hurts like a BIT*H! My last hunting trip was to Burgundy 2 years ago and we went for Wild Boar. That was FUN!

A few pics.... First "The Men!!". I am on the right.

Our humble hunting lodge:

Now - I have heard great things about the Weatherby Mark V as well as Weatherby's .300 Mag round.... Never got a chance to shoot it.... What were you hunting with that??
It's E92 M3 from now on.

zednik

Post by zednik » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:51 am

Well, I'll be dipped, we seem to have a few rifle loonies on this board.
If y'all like really fine rifles check out Cooper Arms in Stevensville, Montana. I own several of them and, well, they're verrrrry frigggin fine. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
AKA......Lord Febreeze

Yal

Post by Yal » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:31 pm

As Robert Ruark said, "Use enough gun". I was hunting pigs.

At the time, I had a Savage Model 99 in 300 Savage, a Mini 14, and a 10/22, and an Uzi mini carbine so I needed something for Elk and anything else my buddy's dad wanted to take us after, so I bought the Weatherby. My buddy's dad passed away about 2 weeks after I got the Leupold scope zeroed, so I never used it for anything besides pigs. And now, i've sold off most of my collection as my wife and son show no interest in hunting. The wife is extremely accurate with her little .22 pistol.

Well, we did ground squirrels also. Kinda like killing mice in the kitchen with a LAW rocket. I'd say 600 yards was the limit of my skill. My dad could hit well out to 750 with his H&H, he also grew up with old school, hardcore hunters. An acquaintance/friend could hit well beyond 1000 yards, but then I guess that is why he was a Marine Recon sniper.

Sorry that world paranoia made it so that you weren't comfortable traveling to Africa with a rifle. I can understand your reluctance. Hopefully, you can get another chance!