Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E89 Android iDrive Screen Group Buy - NOW CLOSED

Discount codes and service & product offerings from forum members
AnubisZed

E89 Android iDrive Screem Group Buy

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:36 am

Nictrix wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:07 am
AnubisZed wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:13 pm
Nictrix wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:56 pm Looks good, you did a cracking job and good on you for organising a group buy.
Shame that all the functions dont work on it, like the telephone, and that kph is the only option for speed.
When you see all the things it can do it probably wouldnt have been that difficult to get everything working.
Thank you.
I'm not aware of the telephone not working, to be fair I've not used mine because I have it on the stereo anyway so I'm using that.
I may be mistaken , I thought you had said in your video that a few buttons did not work, I assumed that with it being the telephone, media and radio buttons that the phone would not work. Again its a shame as the unit seems to do a lot more than it should, like showing the door open etc. so you would think the basics could be made to work.
enzed4 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:28 am
AnubisZed wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:45 am
enzed4 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:51 am
Are you able to check this? Seems to be a fairly critical feature, and not having the phone working might make people think twice.
Thanks for making the effort to help out others with a group buy :thumbsup:
I'll give this a check later
Sorry, I may have misunderstood you. I thought you meant that the phone functions on the Android screen don't work. Are you saying that the Android phone integration works (ie, Bluetooth phone and A2DP) but the Bluetooth on the factory iDrive doesn't?
That might not be so bad as long as the Android works (and the quality of the microphone is at least as good as the factory option).
Thanks.
OK, like I say I'll give this a try later.
I currently still use the Bluetooth that is built into my Z4, mainly because the microphone position is specific to the convertible car (ie; right in front of you), whereas the microphone on the Android unit is on the far left side. Now I've not tried the Bluetooth built into the Android unit yet but I have used "Hey Google" that is part of the Android Auto app and "Hey Siri" which is part of Apple Carplay and they both use the microphone that is on the Android unit and they work fine, whether they'd work as well with the roof down though is another matter.
As for saying that the TEL button doesn't work that is only for the non-iDrive cars as it connects to the iDrive system, it would work normally for the iDrive cars that have Bluetooth, but you would still have the steering wheel button fully working on both anyway (as long as you actually have Bluetooth built into your Z4 in the first place)
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:58 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:36 am
OK, like I say I'll give this a try later.
I currently still use the Bluetooth that is built into my Z4, mainly because the microphone position is specific to the convertible car (ie; right in front of you), whereas the microphone on the Android unit is on the far left side. Now I've not tried the Bluetooth built into the Android unit yet but I have used "Hey Google" that is part of the Android Auto app and "Hey Siri" which is part of Apple Carplay and they both use the microphone that is on the Android unit and they work fine, whether they'd work as well with the roof down though is another matter.
As for saying that the TEL button doesn't work that is only for the non-iDrive cars as it connects to the iDrive system, it would work normally for the iDrive cars that have Bluetooth, but you would still have the steering wheel button fully working on both anyway (as long as you actually have Bluetooth built into your Z4 in the first place)
Thanks again Dave, much appreciated :thumbsup:
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

spiicytuna

Post by spiicytuna » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:49 am

Count me in. I need the idrive controller also.

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:41 am

spiicytuna wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:49 am Count me in. I need the idrive controller also.
You're on the list :thumbsup:
Dave

Arcade.Eyes

Post by Arcade.Eyes » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:09 pm

I'm worried that I would buy it and never be able to install it.

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:14 pm

Arcade.Eyes wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:09 pm I'm worried that I would buy it and never be able to install it.
You're not the first to say that, I'm undertaking a few installs for people. Depending where you are in the country and how far you want to travel I could sort it for you. Send me a PM and we can talk :thumbsup:
Dave

gadgetJunky72

Post by gadgetJunky72 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:23 am

Hi Dave. Thanks for organising this group buy.

Would you be able to put a video up of how the Apple Carplay integration works please? I'd want to know that Spotify and TuneIn work before putting my name down. If I do go for it it, I'll probably be in touch to get you to install it. I live in Peterborough, so not a million miles away.

I currently have iDrive and Sat Nav. If I move to this unit do I lose the journey computer?

Also, is there any integration with the preset buttons?

Thanks

Pav

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:32 am

gadgetJunky72 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:23 am Hi Dave. Thanks for organising this group buy.

Would you be able to put a video up of how the Apple Carplay integration works please? I'd want to know that Spotify and TuneIn work before putting my name down. If I do go for it it, I'll probably be in touch to get you to install it. I live in Peterborough, so not a million miles away.

I currently have iDrive and Sat Nav. If I move to this unit do I lose the journey computer?

Thanks

Pav
Good morning Pav,

Firstly you won't loose anything that you currently have. As far as your current system is concerned the screen is just a screen, all the software for that is located in the headunit.

No problem with an install :thumbsup:

If all goes according to plan I intend to put a video together this weekend regarding Carplay and Android Auto integration. So I'll get that up ASAP.
Dave

gadgetJunky72

Post by gadgetJunky72 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:09 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:32 am Firstly you won't loose anything that you currently have. As far as your current system is concerned the screen is just a screen, all the software for that is located in the headunit.
I was going to ask you if the android screen has a better resolution that the original, but then realised you didn't have one in there to begin with. Have you seen the screen in another Z4 and can you comment? thx.

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:21 pm

gadgetJunky72 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:09 pm
AnubisZed wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:32 am Firstly you won't loose anything that you currently have. As far as your current system is concerned the screen is just a screen, all the software for that is located in the headunit.
I was going to ask you if the android screen has a better resolution that the original, but then realised you didn't have one in there to begin with. Have you seen the screen in another Z4 and can you comment? thx.
Yes I was in Ben Rayne's Z4 a few weeks back and I'd say the resolution is much better, you'll certainly notice the difference.
I'm not sure what the original res is on an iDrive screen though, but you are more than welcome to come and take a look at my new one to compare them.
Dave

Dr-Jon

Post by Dr-Jon » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:08 pm

Im surely tempted, but as i have Idrive already i would just require the basic screen package.
So other than a few music apps what else would I get other than a fixed screen?
Thanks
2010 2.3 Auto with paddles in black with koral red leather and Sat Nav, heated seats, and steering wheel. stubby aerial

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:26 pm

Dr-Jon wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:08 pm Im surely tempted, but as i have Idrive already i would just require the basic screen package.
So other than a few music apps what else would I get other than a fixed screen?
Thanks
Hi Dr-Jon

OK what you'd get extra to what you currently have (in no particular order)
Your choice of stand alone or live sat-nav (Google Maps, Waze, Sygic, iGo etc) - No longer having to pay for a BMW update to your current aps.
Reversing camera add-on (this would be combined with your current parking sensors if you have them)
Streaming music - Apple Music, Spotify, Google Play, TuneIn etc - Via Apple Carplay or Android Auto (voice control is available for Siri or Hey Google).
Access to more car info via Tprque etc.

You keep full access exactly as you do now to your current iDrive content (non-touc.screen)
Everything new (ie; all the Android stuff) is touchscreen or iDrive controller operated.
Dave

Arcade.Eyes

Post by Arcade.Eyes » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:27 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:14 pm
Arcade.Eyes wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:09 pm I'm worried that I would buy it and never be able to install it.
You're not the first to say that, I'm undertaking a few installs for people. Depending where you are in the country and how far you want to travel I could sort it for you. Send me a PM and we can talk :thumbsup:
:thumbsup:

Dr-Jon

Post by Dr-Jon » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:31 pm

thanks Dave, does the new unit have wifi ? or is it still via bluetooth to your phone for internet access?
2010 2.3 Auto with paddles in black with koral red leather and Sat Nav, heated seats, and steering wheel. stubby aerial

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:55 pm

Dr-Jon wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:31 pm thanks Dave, does the new unit have wifi ? or is it still via bluetooth to your phone for internet access?
Both, it can run some bits (like Bluetooth music) via Bluetooth, but it runs WiFi from a hotspot from your phone or connects via the USB for more direct options (Carplay and Android Auto)
I've just taken some video of how to use Bluetooth music, Carplay and Android Auto. Going to edit it properly then I'll post it up.
Dave