Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Flame decal

"M" Specific discussion
Shunt

Re: Flame decal

Post by Shunt » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:27 pm

When you've sorted it post some pictures on here: http://www.barryboys.co.uk/mx/
Aston V8V

powerontap

Post by powerontap » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:36 pm

the post I never thought I would read about...there must be a pill for this
Go Topless

Mikenmass

Post by Mikenmass » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:04 pm

Get it photoshopped first and see if you still like the idea.
Live where the tide matters.

alexman

Post by alexman » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:35 pm

I think some of you have gotten the wrong impression and somewhat missed the point.

I'm wanting to gently improve my Z4MR in black, with inspiration being drawn from other mega cool black sportscars I've seen with black wheels and splashes of red (such as fully loaded 911 Turbos which look stunning with black wheels etc). Hence, black wheels and several other mods such as red calipers are in the pipeline. With the flame decal idea, what I was after is not chav style red flames, but rather a very faint design on either side, but its only an idea I'm toying with and on the right car, it can look stunning. Did anyone see the purple Lambo in gumball 3000 with lightening graphics all over it - looked stunning. Rest my case.

In any case, I'm sad to say I'm growing slightly bored with my M and want something with a big more soul. Maybe a Cobra replica or early 40s Ford based hot rod, but these are more of a weekend choice than an every day driver!
Z4M Roadster, Red Leather Seats, Fully Loaded

etedlm

Post by etedlm » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:42 pm

:o :o

Voodoo

Post by Voodoo » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:00 pm

Crikey Alex.

Maybe the Lambo worked well as the lightning is straight, angular lines, matching the design lines of the Lambo. I've seen flames on more cars than I can remember and am genuinely of the mindset that flames wouldn't work well on the Z. Maybe some scallops could be made to work with the Z's lines if you were intent on adding a 50's hot rod touch to your car?

Regarding soul, I've had '32 roadster hot rods, full on 50's style satin painted sleds with car long metallic flame jobs (+bonnet +roof) and am now on a "restified" '59 Chevy truck running a big block and discs all round. Granted, they've all had soul but I can genuinely say that I think the Z also has soul and personality by the bucketload. Just because it's not the fastest thing on four wheels or maybe doesn't turn heads like you want doesn't mean it ain't got soul. Maybe you should lean on it a bit more in tricky corners, I've certainly found my car has soul that way.... :driving:

The added bonus of the Z is that you do have a car with soul, PLUS you can use it everyday in all weathers, whereas with a Cobra or 40's Ford, you'd grow weary of it's shortcomings very quickly if used every day.

:thumbsup:
Z4M Coupe, every option bar the upgraded stereo. Anyway, who needs a stereo?

pmeloche

Post by pmeloche » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:53 pm

:o I'm proposing a three-month ban for this "flame decal" suggestion. :lol:
Patrice
2009 E90 M3 Melbourne Red on Black Novillo leather (Carbon Fibre trim)
2007 X5 4.8i Monaco Blue on Saddle Brown interior (Premium Package)

ga41

Post by ga41 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:15 pm

I say go for it. It's your car and you can do whatever you want with it.. Just dont expect to get many thumbs up when you post the photos! :D
-- http://www.freerice.com/ For each answer you get right, they will donate 10 grains of rice to the United Nations World Food Program --

Pom

Post by Pom » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:33 am

im kinda with ga41 on this one - our cars in their own way is an expression of us - if you feel like a faint flame decal down the sides will accentuate your car and make you happier with it - go for it! at the end of the day your the one who has to live with it and see it everyday, and if it adds just that bit more of a smile each time u see it - then hell isnt that half the reason we all enjoy our cars so much?
Melb - Australia
2006 Z4M Carbon Black Coupe
2005 Z4 3ltr Sterling Grey Roadster

Weismann

Post by Weismann » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:13 am

No. Please.
Interlagos Blue Z4M Roadster

mikedav

Post by mikedav » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:31 am

I'll cry if you do. Is that what you want? YOU WANT ME TO CRY?

Robb

Post by Robb » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:11 pm

I say do it, most of the best discoveries were made by trial and error??

Rudd

Post by Rudd » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:26 pm

i think a photoshop trial should be done first, then u can mess around with colours and tones.

up to u what u do with ur car but i think flames would have to be really subtle, barely coming higher than the skirts

Tref

Post by Tref » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:51 pm

alexman wrote:I think some of you have gotten the wrong impression and somewhat missed the point.

I'm wanting to gently improve my Z4MR in black, with inspiration being drawn from other mega cool black sportscars I've seen with black wheels and splashes of red (such as fully loaded 911 Turbos which look stunning with black wheels etc). Hence, black wheels and several other mods such as red calipers are in the pipeline. With the flame decal idea, what I was after is not chav style red flames, but rather a very faint design on either side, but its only an idea I'm toying with and on the right car, it can look stunning. Did anyone see the purple Lambo in gumball 3000 with lightening graphics all over it - looked stunning. Rest my case.

In any case, I'm sad to say I'm growing slightly bored with my M and want something with a big more soul. Maybe a Cobra replica or early 40s Ford based hot rod, but these are more of a weekend choice than an every day driver!
If you're looking for more soul try a Blackpool rocket. You'll either love them or hate them. Make sure its a good one (not sat on a dealer forecourt for months with a skanky interior).
Come to Daddy: 2004 TVR T350 Targa
Current stable: 2006 Golf GTi, 2007 Fiat Panda 100HP
Previous: 2004 Z4 3.0 Manual in Toledo Blue, 2004 TVR T350 Targa, 1995 TVR Chimaera