Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Coolant loss

birdy_z4

Coolant loss

Post by birdy_z4 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:48 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:30 am Is that a new hose on that connection? If not and it has been removed/refitted then it could be that the seal is damaged. From experience, they tend to flatten out and once disturbed they sometimes don't seal properly again. The seal sits inside the plastic connector.
The radiator was changed but not the hose by my local indi with warranty

Is it possible to reseat the hose with antifreeze in the system or is it new hose and new antifreeze

Presume the indi will say it’s a new hose and chargeable

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Coolant loss

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:41 pm

birdy_z4 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:48 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:30 am Is that a new hose on that connection? If not and it has been removed/refitted then it could be that the seal is damaged. From experience, they tend to flatten out and once disturbed they sometimes don't seal properly again. The seal sits inside the plastic connector.

Is it possible to reseat the hose with antifreeze in the system or is it new hose and new antifreeze

Trouble is that the seal comes with the hose.
If you can get the old seal out you may be able to find a company that sell the correct size replacement.
No idea how much antifreeze you would lose if you could get away with just disconnecting that top end?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

birdy_z4

Coolant loss

Post by birdy_z4 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:19 pm

Ok thanks for the feedback

May order the top hose and give it a go or let the indi redo it but I know they will want to charge for it

birdy_z4

Coolant loss

Post by birdy_z4 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:37 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:41 pm

If you can get the old seal out you may be able to find a company that sell the correct size replacement.
No idea how much antifreeze you would lose if you could get away with just disconnecting that top end?
Looking on bmw oem I can’t actually make out the hose that connects to the top radiator hose as per my picture

Mine being the automatic 3.0si 2010

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Coolant loss

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:51 pm

birdy_z4 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:37 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:41 pm

Looking on bmw oem I can’t actually make out the hose that connects to the top radiator hose as per my picture

Mine being the automatic 3.0si 2010
Me neither. Can see everything else, and the top hose shows the union underneath, but nothing going to it.
Where does the other end of that hose go?
Maybe it's on another component diagram?

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Coolant loss

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:55 pm

Does it go back to the heater matrix?
Item 1?
Screenshot 2023-11-13 145402.png
Screenshot 2023-11-13 145402.png (130.34 KiB) Viewed 351 times

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Coolant loss

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:57 pm

See if you can re-seat it first.
Then try getting the seal out and looking for a replacement here:

polymax.co.uk/o-rings/o-ring-selector/

birdy_z4

Coolant loss

Post by birdy_z4 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:09 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:57 pm See if you can re-seat it first.
Then try getting the seal out and looking for a replacement here:

polymax.co.uk/o-rings/o-ring-selector/
Thanks will check when I get home later although will be dark then unfortunately

birdy_z4

Coolant loss

Post by birdy_z4 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:49 am

The hose connects under the air filter to the rear bulkhead which I presume is the heater hose
image.jpg
image.jpg (116.57 KiB) Viewed 309 times

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Coolant loss

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:19 am

birdy_z4 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:49 am The hose connects under the air filter to the rear bulkhead which I presume is the heater hose

image.jpg
Yup, Number 1 on the diagram I posted.

birdy_z4

Coolant loss

Post by birdy_z4 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:24 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:19 am
birdy_z4 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:49 am The hose connects under the air filter to the rear bulkhead which I presume is the heater hose

image.jpg
Thanks wiped all the area down and let the car warm up from about 30 mins, temp gauge on dash was between 60-80. Fan kicked in not extremely fast (my wife’s mini fan sounds lie take off) then stopped even with engine running.

I was expecting it to run for quite a while with the engine running and very fast to cool the radiator

Not run any codes yet but in your opinion does it point to the fan being faulty?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Coolant loss

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:56 pm

birdy_z4 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:24 pm

image.jpg
Thanks wiped all the area down and let the car warm up from about 30 mins, temp gauge on dash was between 60-80. Fan kicked in not extremely fast (my wife’s mini fan sounds lie take off) then stopped even with engine running.

I was expecting it to run for quite a while with the engine running and very fast to cool the radiator

Not run any codes yet but in your opinion does it point to the fan being faulty?
No, the ones on my wife's 2.5i and my E89 20iS hardly run at all.
Should kick in if you switch the AC on though.

birdy_z4

Coolant loss

Post by birdy_z4 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:23 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:56 pm

Thanks I will give that a try and see whether that works, if the fan is fine then it must be the seal (hopefully) not many options for new in the UK on the part number listed from BMW OEM

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Coolant loss

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:54 pm

birdy_z4 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:23 pm

Thanks I will give that a try and see whether that works, if the fan is fine then it must be the seal (hopefully) not many options for new in the UK on the part number listed from BMW OEM
https://www.mlperformance.co.uk/product ... tor-inc-z4

Did you try simply reseating it?
Or the other option of taking that seal out, measuring it, and trying to buy just a new seal?

birdy_z4

Coolant loss

Post by birdy_z4 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:45 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:54 pm
birdy_z4 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:23 pm
https://www.mlperformance.co.uk/product ... tor-inc-z4

Did you try simply reseating it?
Or the other option of taking that seal out, measuring it, and trying to buy just a new seal?
I cleaned the area down and gently wiggled the plastic connector before the test and it was not leaking. I've ordered a second hand (only £12) of a 2012 model so I can take the seal from this without spilling out the antifreeze to see what the seal is.

When this turns up I am going to use it to measure the seal and use this hose as plug when I disconnect the one on the car to prevent the antifreeze going everywhere (hopefully) method in my madness I think.

There is a steady pressuised stream/jet going pack to the filler tank so pretty sure it is not an issue with the water pump or thermostat