Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How to retrofit M Steering Wheel with Multi Function Control

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Re: How to retrofit M Steering Wheel with Multi Function Control

Post by PawnSacrifice » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:26 am

I bought a bald M wheel from eBay...

And fitted this with standard, silver, MF spokes:

The problem is that the bottom doesn't quite fit properly, if you look at the bottom (some have trimmed this - there is another thread):

I quite like the silver spoked M wheel look.

EDIT: This is the link that shows the trimmed silver spokes
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.

Nosa

Re: How to retrofit M Steering Wheel with Multi Function Control

Post by Nosa » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:38 pm

Nice Job PS. Looks really nice. Now sell it to me. :D

unagi

Re: How to retrofit M Steering Wheel with Multi Function Con

Post by unagi » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:19 pm

Quick question for you gurus -- can I do the M multifunction wheel upgrade on an automatic z4 that has the paddle shifters? I read somewhere on this board that the paddle shifters are a complication, and could mean the fat M wheel won't fit. I haven't found any specific installation instructions that address this.

FWIW, here in HK -- where I am on an assignment -- I have a 2006 Z4 coupe with an automatic, paddle shifters, and a lame plastic steering wheel with no multifunction buttons. In the US, I have a 2007 M Coupe. As soon as I bought the Z4 Coupe in HK, the first thing I wanted to upgrade was the steering wheel, which I miss from my M Coupe!

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Hotride

Post by Hotride » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:43 am

My Z4 3.0 is plated September 2003, but unfortunately the original owner never opted for the multi function steering wheel. after reading this post i went into my local dealer to get one and he told me that the multi function wheel could not be retro fitted to my car.

can anyone tell me if i buy the wheel, will the controls definitely work? or could i be wasting my time and money adding steering wheel controls that wont work on my car?

TH3R4POR

Post by TH3R4POR » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:00 am

Hotride wrote:My Z4 3.0 is plated September 2003, but unfortunately the original owner never opted for the multi function steering wheel. after reading this post i went into my local dealer to get one and he told me that the multi function wheel could not be retro fitted to my car.

can anyone tell me if i buy the wheel, will the controls definitely work? or could i be wasting my time and money adding steering wheel controls that wont work on my car?
It would take under a minute to check, just use two thin screwdrivers in the release holes on the side of the wheel and pop the airbag, then check for the connector is there, I'll bet 20p it is. Mines an 04 plate 3.0 SE and you have the best of both worlds with the CC and MFSW being easy jobs and both prewired.

By the way, reading "the original owner never opted for the multi function steering wheel" you know the controls (MFSW) and the wheel aren't the same thing? clicky - The controls are ordered separately in a kit with new spokes, you don't need to replace the whole wheel to get them just the spokes which you can do with the steering wheel still in place.

Also ignore the dealer whenever they say the car need "reprogramming" after these simple retro fits, 9 tiles out of 10 it doesn't and you'd be wasting your money.
Hotride wrote:can anyone tell me if i buy the wheel, will the controls definitely work? or could i be wasting my time and money adding steering wheel controls that wont work on my car?
did you read through this? Not an M wheel but might help - clicky

Hotride

Post by Hotride » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:51 am

I already have cc :) and i did know that the MF buttons are separate and i can add them to my current wheel, however there seems to be a fair few multi function wheels on ebay selling for substantially less then the MF buttons from my local stealer.

And after reading about the amount of people who have done this mod, everyone seems to have success with it, So i was going to risk it.

its just the cable that im unsure of. I thought the plug in the steering wheel is there for all Z4's. apparently there is 2 wires that may need to be added behind this to the back of the light control module - but i will break out the torch and screw driver and have a look tonight.

fingers crossed it will be pre wired

Hotride

Post by Hotride » Fri May 21, 2010 5:10 am

My Z4 was born on 08/2003 soo it doesn't have the retrofit cable prewired. I went to my dealer but he cannot find it using the item number at the start of the thread or by a parts search. does anyone know where i can get this part from?

if these are no longer available can someone tell me how to make it? eg connector pins, length of wire required etc.

Edit: I fitted a MFSW to my Z4 today. When i got the green clip off, i found some old auto cables that fit into to green connector pins 9 & 10

then just spliced the other end into the blue plug as per this post. Only took 2 hours including making my own retrofit cable. 8)

And with a bit of luck i connected the battery and everything worked first go :driving:
the guide on page 1 was a massive help. thanks
Last edited by Hotride on Sat May 22, 2010 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PawnSacrifice » Fri May 21, 2010 10:58 pm

I would like to add something for those wanting to use silver spokes (hope you don't mind Sideshowbob :wink: ) I managed to fit silver spokes to my M wheel as is, others haven't had the same luck. With the in mind I recently did a little cut a shut job on my old, spare, bottom spoke using my little Dremel type tool. I didn't have the steering wheel available to offer it up to (and wasn't going to dismantle mine), so that's my excuse for the less than perfect finish. Hopefully it will offer a guide to others wanting to do the same. Have z4alfie to thank for the photos and being a guinea pig!

First thing I did, as it was my first time cutting this plastic, was to practice on a part I knew I wouldn't need.

This shows the cut and original spoke side by side.
Some points to note here:
1. On the original spoke, right, there is a small clip at the bottom of the central cutout. I believe this interferes with the thicker wheel, so removed it.
2. Where you can see white plastic in the spoke on the left, I used a sanding tool to cut back the plastic as much as possible, to allow more room around the spoke.
3. I cut the spoke a little below centre cutout, but you can see that better from the other side.
4. The initial cut left sharp corners. These were sanded from underneath to avoid damaging the surface on the top.

This shot shows how far down I made the, ahem, horizontal cut. (it looked perfectly square at the time :oops: )

Another from the side to show the different profile, while it isn't shown that clearly I did trim back the folder edge on the bottom:

Here a picture of the spoke on the wheel which z4alfie said went on without any drama, so I assume the cut is in the right place. I think a key point here was removing that clip from the underside.
It isn't as straight / square as I would have liked, but if I'd had the wheel to hand it would have been tested and tweaked. Honest.

Here's a picture I took post hatchet job. Shows the repair to the screw lug. These things have a habbit of snapping when removing the spoke from the original wheel.
As you can see from the base of the one on the right, they're a little flimsy. Just glueing it back on doesn't stand up to the rigours of trying to fit. This seems to have worked:
1. Using super glue the lug into place as the original.
2. Cut up three small triangular strips of plastic to match the profile of the spindly little uprights at the base of the lug - I used the offcuts from the main work as donor material.
3. Glue one of the small triangles to the side of the uprights and the third in between. They will stick out on all side, don't worry. Leave to set.
4. Using a Dremel (or similar) rotary cutting disk, trim down the plastic at the base of the lug so that there is nothing protruding.
Hopefully the picture illustrates exactly what I mean.

It goes without saying, if I can do something, it isn't that difficult! Give it a go.
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.

JimmyPop

Post by JimmyPop » Mon May 24, 2010 12:30 pm

Just a quick message to let people know the price of the M MFSW has gone up - my local dealers was looking for £280! Emailed Joe at Sopers who confirmed the price has gone up recently - he's now looking for £245 delivered. Expensive, but still better than the stealers.

Also, the retrofit cup holders have also gone up in price.

antony74

Post by antony74 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:20 pm

Hello all!!!
Great and really helpful how-to!!!
A question though: i own a 5/2005 2.0 and have already installed the buttons part of the retrofit kit on my steering wheel so propably now it should be ok . I wonder , though, if i should expext the buttons to be lighted when i turn on my lights? Do you ?

Toekiller

Post by Toekiller » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:13 pm

Just fitted this to my 2005/2.0. Seems the cable wasn't pre installed as the buttons don't light or work. Looks like I need to do the cable part :/

Rach*

Post by Rach* » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:11 am

I popped into my local "friendly" stealers to see how much it would be, M wheel & Ipod ........

£1k!

2 days work!!!

Have someone else doing it, while I wait :driving:
Z4R drivers do it with their top off

navid.v
Lifer
Lifer

Post by navid.v » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:56 pm

Rach* wrote:I popped into my local "friendly" stealers to see how much it would be, M wheel & Ipod ........

£1k!

2 days work!!!

Have someone else doing it, while I wait :driving:
I just did my steering wheel less than 10 minutes lunch time,have a look at the post in buy/sell section.

Mavz4

Post by Mavz4 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:31 pm

Just received mine from Sopers (Joe was on leave but colleage there was just as helpful) yep the price hsas gone up - got mine for £229.84 :D

Fitting tomorrow with fingers crossed after the aux fitting took longer than expected......

navid.v
Lifer
Lifer

Post by navid.v » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:08 pm

Mavz4 wrote:Just received mine from Sopers (Joe was on leave but colleage there was just as helpful) yep the price hsas gone up - got mine for £229.84 :D

Fitting tomorrow with fingers crossed after the aux fitting took longer than expected......
and? have you done it?it is great in comparison to the original wheel,isn't it?