Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Detroit Z4 pics - nice!

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Detroit Z4 pics - nice!

Post by Breaker » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:17 pm

GP20 wrote:
That's because you got a non-M. The M with the M-hood/bonnet, M bumper and the added M-tech/aerodynamic side-skirts doesn't look dated at all sitting next to the E89. :poke: :rofl:

But of course, in real world driving, stylings make no difference. :fuelfire:
Still hung up on the "real world driving" post huh! :rofl:

Same body shape though! Actually I think the M would look more dated! :poke: Looks like an after market add-on exercise with a raised bonnet (hood) to accommodate that old cast iron engine!!! :fuelfire: :P
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:23 pm

... and someone has nicked the aerial on the blue one :rofl:

Great post Mike! :thumbsup:
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:30 pm

Actually that is a point! Why have they still got an outboard aerial? :?
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:59 pm

Smokin wrote:OK, maybe I missed it, but what does "s drive" stand for???? :scratchhead:
Just the way they badge them now, "Z4 sDrive 30i" or "X6 xDrive 35i".

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:05 pm

Breaker wrote:Must admit, looking at mine against the new Z4, I think the present Z4 will look a bit dated next to the new one!
What will make it feel dated too is the interior, especially the quality. I sat in an E92 M3 on Saturday and the interior quality is exceptional, it was a DCT model with paddleshift, and the movement of the paddles and gearshift was sublime. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

Smokin

Post by Smokin » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:16 pm

ah, so "s" = standard 2WD and "x" = 4WD?

I don't see all that much different other than iDrive and it's bigger. I guess more of a step up for those with pre-facelift cars, but I think ours still look "mahhhhhhhhhvelous" :D
2007 3.0si coupe, sapphire black, saddle brown extended leather, heated M seats, premium package, sport package, Carver, light poplar wood trim, xenon, headlight washers, 6 spd. Member BMWCCA, ZSCCA, Homecoming 08 Pirate.

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:24 pm

I suppose the seats will be missed, these new ones look OK but they are optional "sports seats" and we haven't seen the standard seats yet. The E85/6 M seats are the best ever :)

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:44 pm

Wondermike wrote:
Breaker wrote:Must admit, looking at mine against the new Z4, I think the present Z4 will look a bit dated next to the new one!
What will make it feel dated too is the interior, especially the quality. I sat in an E92 M3 on Saturday and the interior quality is exceptional, it was a DCT model with paddleshift, and the movement of the paddles and gearshift was sublime. Hopefully a sign of things to come.
I actually hope those circular controls look better in the metal because to me they look a bit cheap!

Rick Hunter
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Rick Hunter » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:51 pm

GP20 wrote:
That's because you got a non-M. The M with the M-hood/bonnet, M bumper and the added M-tech/aerodynamic side-skirts doesn't look dated at all sitting next to the E89. :poke: :rofl:

But of course, in real world driving, stylings make no difference. :fuelfire:
Like this?

I agree that the front end looks more modern in the E89, but (aside from the headlights) I still dislike the looks of the front end. And as I commented on another forum, there's too many hoodlines on the E89. They could have done away with the middle 2 since they add nothing to the look of the car but instead disrupts the flow of a nice smooth bonnet.

On a perverse note, I see those 2 ugly mid-lines on the E89 akin to borat's costume (CLINK FOR LINK HERE) :rofl: :rofl: :sick2:

Back on a serious note, however, I can't see why anyone would sink their money into an E89 other than for modern looks & comfort, since the higher pedigree-tuned E85/86 Ms can be had for less than the new models (albeit used).
'07 Imola Red Image Coupé

inTgr8r

Post by inTgr8r » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:32 pm

I'm hoping that it shows up at the Toronto show in Feb.
...nothing like seeing a new car in the flesche!

in pics, some angles look great, others are meh.....

Aebous
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Aebous » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:06 pm

I'm with Rick. While it would be nice to get this one, I think I would much rather prefer to upgrade to an 07/08 M that just got traded in for this car :D
'03 Z4 3.0i manual transmission w/ sports package, interior xenons, wind deflector, Michelin Sport PS3's, cheap big brake upgrade, headlights with black internals and clear lenses, Alutech braces inc horizontal strut bar.
ZEEEE 4

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:03 am

I think there will be some nice M3 V8 examples on the market soon for good money also.

I still think my money is still sitting with the new Nissan 370Z if I looked for another sports coupe. :wink: I'll wait until I see and drive both.

pmeloche

Post by pmeloche » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:36 am

Smokin wrote:ah, so "s" = standard 2WD and "x" = 4WD?

I don't see all that much different other than iDrive and it's bigger. I guess more of a step up for those with pre-facelift cars, but I think ours still look "mahhhhhhhhhvelous" :D
sDrive is for "Sport Drive". xDrive denotes the AWD nature of the drivetrain as opposed to the standard RWD.
Patrice
2009 E90 M3 Melbourne Red on Black Novillo leather (Carbon Fibre trim)
2007 X5 4.8i Monaco Blue on Saddle Brown interior (Premium Package)

pmeloche

Post by pmeloche » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:39 am

cj10jeeper wrote:Great post and pictures Mike :thumbsup:

I think it's a beautiful car, but am having trouble with those double cut lines on the front wing. Doesn't work for me. That 'Z' badge too . Clearly 'oh *uck it, it's got to be stuck somewhere'

As an aside BMW has 10 Commandments for a roadster and looking at the backdrops the tag lines include 'roadster'
The conmmandments can be found in many publications and have been core for 80 years, include the likes of the long bonnet, drivers seat back, coke bottle shape and low and at No 3 is Soft top; no folding hardtop.

Well that doesn't look much like a Softtop to me... :rofl:
Like many of us BMW is breaking some Commandments. :wink: He who has not sinned throws the first stone. :lol:
Patrice
2009 E90 M3 Melbourne Red on Black Novillo leather (Carbon Fibre trim)
2007 X5 4.8i Monaco Blue on Saddle Brown interior (Premium Package)