Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

I emailed ESS avbout a Supercharger!!

"M" Specific discussion
sixspeed

Post by sixspeed » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:39 am

AlexRWD wrote:
sixspeed wrote:I've also been in talks with a company here about the ESS kits that are due also...

550bhp is the expected output.... :o
Anyone got a BS smilie? :) A tuner has suggested a more than 200bhp increase from supercharging, and everyone seems to be taking it as gospel - I would be very, very, very surprised if they made that much of an increase.

Look at S/C installs on cars like the S2000, Monaro VXR and 350Z, they all get about 100bhp, and to be honest, I think that would be a better level of increase for the Z4M - around 440 bhp would do very nicely :thumbsup:

ps - what is the exact bhp fig for Z4M's? I've seen 343 quoted in various places, and 330 in others :?

Alex,

Prepare to be very, very, very surprised then :P 550hp isn't that unfeasable.

Active Autowerke already produce a 525hp supercharger kit for the E46 M3 which uses the exact same engine as the Z4M.

550hp is entirely possible. Although I agree, I'd like the option of a tamer 420/440bhp as well - but with a charger, that can usually be achieved as simply as using a larger/smaller pulley (depending on how you look at it), and reducing the peak boost output by running the charger at a slower speed.

carl

Post by carl » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:09 pm

http://www.esstuning.com/default.asp?c=news&id=17&n=

I'm a little concerned that it will change the characteristics of the car though. I mean, a Z4M is about loads of power at mega-high rpm, not gobs of torque at low rpm. If I'd wanted that I'd have bought a TVR Griffith :neutral:

AlexRWD

Post by AlexRWD » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:07 pm

sixspeed wrote:
AlexRWD wrote:
sixspeed wrote:I've also been in talks with a company here about the ESS kits that are due also...

550bhp is the expected output.... :o
Anyone got a BS smilie? :) A tuner has suggested a more than 200bhp increase from supercharging, and everyone seems to be taking it as gospel - I would be very, very, very surprised if they made that much of an increase.

Look at S/C installs on cars like the S2000, Monaro VXR and 350Z, they all get about 100bhp, and to be honest, I think that would be a better level of increase for the Z4M - around 440 bhp would do very nicely :thumbsup:

ps - what is the exact bhp fig for Z4M's? I've seen 343 quoted in various places, and 330 in others :?

Alex,

Active Autowerke already produce a 525hp supercharger kit for the E46 M3 which uses the exact same engine as the Z4M.

550hp is entirely possible. Although I agree, I'd like the option of a tamer 420/440bhp as well - but with a charger, that can usually be achieved as simply as using a larger/smaller pulley (depending on how you look at it), and reducing the peak boost output by running the charger at a slower speed.
Very impressive then :) - but I guess changing the pulley size is similar to turning up the boost on a turbo - the more you go for, the shorter your engine life is likely to be.

Have there been any dyno tests of these conversions?
Merc SL55 AMG
previous cars: Interlagos blue Z4MR, TVR Tamora

Gauss

Post by Gauss » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:54 pm

How is engine lifespan affected by superchargers.

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:18 pm

Gauss wrote:How is engine lifespan affected by superchargers.
It makes them last longer... they are like the multivitamin of the engine world! ;) :whistle:
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

thebighash

Post by thebighash » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:38 pm

sixspeed wrote:Alex,

i emailed Active Autowerke last week and here's their reply:

Sir,
We have not developed a sc system for that car as yet, we hope to do one in the future. The Zm4 has the same engine as the E46 M3, but a totally different engine management system. We have cracked into that software, but we have not fully developed the tuning for use on the Z4M with the supercharger. I am not sure when we will be doing that development. I guess if we get enough inquiries we will pursue that development.

Thank you for your interest in our products

Technical dept.
Active Autowerke

i'd be interested in a 430-450bhp kit in a year or so.. hope someone does it
:D
2007 Imola Red Z4MC