Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Detroit Z4 pics - nice!

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
pmeloche

Re: Detroit Z4 pics - nice!

Post by pmeloche » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:44 am

I definitely prefer the blue one, especially with the hot blonde in it. :P Cars immediately look better with a hot blonde in it. Brunettes will do also. :wink:
Patrice
2009 E90 M3 Melbourne Red on Black Novillo leather (Carbon Fibre trim)
2007 X5 4.8i Monaco Blue on Saddle Brown interior (Premium Package)

Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Shipkiller » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:19 am

My wife like the new one.. :evil:
Drives 2008 Z4MC (His) & 2003 Z4 Roadster (Her's)

GP20

Post by GP20 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:19 am

Rick Hunter wrote: I agree that the front end looks more modern in the E89, but (aside from the headlights) I still dislike the looks of the front end. And as I commented on another forum, there's too many hoodlines on the E89. They could have done away with the middle 2 since they add nothing to the look of the car but instead disrupts the flow of a nice smooth bonnet.
Exactly. The front looks way too busy. I could actually see myself getting the E89 if it:
- loses 200lbs
- has body color matched A-pillars
- gets rid of the unnecessary hood lines, bumper contours, and cheap silver-painted bits
- places the rear BMW roundel lower
'08 BMW Z4///MC 18" & 19" BBS RGR's|Michelin PSS'|TCK DA's 450/500|OEM CF spoiler|Aero side-skirts|ZHP gear-knob|OEM STB|
'06 BMW Z4///MR (sold)
'04 BMW Z4 3.0i 6sp SMG (lemon)
'03 BMW Z4 2.5i non-sport (sold)

Rick Hunter
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Rick Hunter » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:36 am

GP20 wrote:
Rick Hunter wrote: I agree that the front end looks more modern in the E89, but (aside from the headlights) I still dislike the looks of the front end. And as I commented on another forum, there's too many hoodlines on the E89. They could have done away with the middle 2 since they add nothing to the look of the car but instead disrupts the flow of a nice smooth bonnet.
Exactly. The front looks way too busy. I could actually see myself getting the E89 if it:
- loses 200lbs
- has body color matched A-pillars
- gets rid of the unnecessary hood lines, bumper contours, and cheap silver-painted bits
- places the rear BMW roundel lower
X2.

Have you noticed at all how prior / current 3er owners love the car to bits while us current Z4 owners are on the fence or mildly dislike the look of the front end? If BMW were to change the E89 to our specs they'd lose a lot of the 3er crowd.
'07 Imola Red Image Coupé

Smokin

Post by Smokin » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:17 pm

I'm sure that BMW roundel is functional just as it is in the facelift Z4 coupes--it's where the keyhole for the lock is located and you tip it up at the top to open the trunk--gives you a handle. I like it.
2007 3.0si coupe, sapphire black, saddle brown extended leather, heated M seats, premium package, sport package, Carver, light poplar wood trim, xenon, headlight washers, 6 spd. Member BMWCCA, ZSCCA, Homecoming 08 Pirate.

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:08 pm

Would have been cool if they had fitted a reverse camera behind the rear roundel like on the 2009 VW Golf! :P

That looks well cool! The roundel slides up to reveal the camera when reversing! :thumbsup:
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)

rabman5

Post by rabman5 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:51 pm

I think I'll go down to the auto show this weekend and see it in person. I'm still not liking it from the pictures. :(

z4guy

Post by z4guy » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:54 pm

Anyone else notice there is no keyhole in the back for the trunk. Maybe it's behind the roundel?

ElegantSpoon

Post by ElegantSpoon » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:07 am

I think the exterior is to put it bluntly a mess! Loving the interior though :wink:
BMW Z4 2.2i, 108s, Red Leather! CDV Mod, ZHP Shift Knob, Retro fit ///M Multifunction Steering Wheel, Retro fit Xenons!

Rick Hunter
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Rick Hunter » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:56 pm

z4guy wrote:Anyone else notice there is no keyhole in the back for the trunk. Maybe it's behind the roundel?
Trunk? There is no trunk. :rofl: j/k

Yeah... the keyhole is in the roundel :thumbsup: It's a nice touch.

rabman5

Post by rabman5 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:15 pm

So i went down today to see it in person. I'm sad to say that my opinion of it is worse than before. I apologize for the poor quality pics, I only used my iPhone.
I know the car is bigger than before, but it really doesn't seem like it, especially the interior which seems to have lost some space. The seats will need to be fully back for most people to be comfortable. Forget about packing golf clubs or two overnight bags in the trunk.
Smokin wrote:I'm sure that BMW roundel is functional just as it is in the facelift Z4 coupes--it's where the keyhole for the lock is located and you tip it up at the top to open the trunk--gives you a handle. I like it.
Right about the handle for opening or closing, but there is no keyhole. Very strange. :scratchhead: I just looked at my 2007 X5 which uses the same type of "key" and push button ignition as the new Z4 and there is no rear keyhole on it either.

The new center console and armrest is bigger and takes away some interior room. The interior feels smaller. It was difficult to exit the car with the top up. You also need to open the center armrest to access cupholders. I would have liked to try out the i-drive.

In person this "fin" just looks silly. :thumbsdown: I'm not sure if it's functional.

Interior storage compartment is gone and you have a "ski-bag" type trunk expander. Too small for skis.

The "brow" on the headlights appears to be a frosted glass looking plastic under the glass headlight cover. Same as the side indicators. I noticed the same thing on the new 7 series. It really stands out more in person than in photos, especially on the darker cars.

The engine compartment is compact with the larger motor. I'm not sure why they brought the hood-line (bonnet) down to the wheels.

They have totally updated this car but in doing so, changed some of the things i love about the current model. I'm sure they'll find a market for it.

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:29 pm

Nice pics :thumbsup:

I need to see it for real before making a final decision.

Bimmerbri

Post by Bimmerbri » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:52 am

Here are some more..Enjoy!

Rick Hunter
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Rick Hunter » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:01 am

Thanks for the pics, rabman5 & Bimmerbri!!

Wow... there's virtually minimal interior compartment space in the new Z4. :thumbsdown: There's no way the center armrest compartment can hold anything near what the E85 center console could.
rabman wrote:Image
Engine compartment definitely looks compact... big difference compared to the E85. One thing I like is that it looks like the headlights can be changed overhead vs. through the wheel wells.

BUT... from the looks of it, the airbox will get in the way of a potential strut tower brace.

GP20

Post by GP20 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:10 am

If my Z4M ever wanted to get a girlfriend, the E89 would be it.

The Z3 owners must be estatic about how the hood/bonnet extends to the sides of the front fenders given how much they bashed the E85's flat and boring hood when the E85 came out.
'08 BMW Z4///MC 18" & 19" BBS RGR's|Michelin PSS'|TCK DA's 450/500|OEM CF spoiler|Aero side-skirts|ZHP gear-knob|OEM STB|
'06 BMW Z4///MR (sold)
'04 BMW Z4 3.0i 6sp SMG (lemon)
'03 BMW Z4 2.5i non-sport (sold)