Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Uh oh. Bennys' first tantrum! WAYHAAAY We're back in business! :) EDIT: 2000 mile update.

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Uh oh. Bettys' first tantrum! inc updates...

Post by Chris_D » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:03 am

Hi MM.
A 2nd hand TB literally just turned up this morning via ups from lithunia of all places.
Bought on fleabay for gbp50, its 2 years newer than mine. From a 2005 x5. A bit grimy and (i hope) original condition as there seems to be a minimal amount of brown varnish on the butterfly. Much less than was on mine at any rate.
It sounds rock solid too. No rattling of loose internals. Mine had a very feint rattle, like a spring inside had worked its way loose.
I'll give it a good clean but i have a new tb gasket and cam/crankshaft sensors and diagnostics bumpf coming so i might just wait til that lot lands.

One thing i remembered from the recovery guy is a mumbled statement from him along the lines of a '24% difference in the signal between the tb and the tb actuator'
Was he referring to the pedal when he said tb actuator? I know its fly by wire. Where are the tb position sensor/s located? Maybe they will need replacing if it turns out not to be the tb......
Photo 12-09-2016 10 47 39.jpg
Photo 12-09-2016 10 47 39.jpg (159.32 KiB) Viewed 1975 times
Photo 12-09-2016 10 48 07.jpg
Photo 12-09-2016 10 48 07.jpg (110.78 KiB) Viewed 1975 times
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:23 am

Machine monkey wrote:Thats exactly what mine was doing have you changed the TB yet? I will be surprised if that dose not fix the problem.
Gah, forgot to quote u. Question in my last post.see above....

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:07 pm

Chris_D wrote:Hi MM.
A 2nd hand TB literally just turned up this morning via ups from lithunia of all places.
Bought on fleabay for gbp50, its 2 years newer than mine. From a 2005 x5. A bit grimy and (i hope) original condition as there seems to be a minimal amount of brown varnish on the butterfly. Much less than was on mine at any rate.
It sounds rock solid too. No rattling of loose internals. Mine had a very feint rattle, like a spring inside had worked its way loose.
I'll give it a good clean but i have a new tb gasket and cam/crankshaft sensors and diagnostics bumpf coming so i might just wait til that lot lands.

One thing i remembered from the recovery guy is a mumbled statement from him along the lines of a '24% difference in the signal between the tb and the tb actuator'
Was he referring to the pedal when he said tb actuator? I know its fly by wire. Where are the tb position sensor/s located? Maybe they will need replacing if it turns out not to be the tb......
No idea mate was not there??????
But it could be the TPS or it could be the TB like i have said mine was getting weird voltage readings because of a bad earth could be that too?
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:12 pm

Machine monkey wrote:
Chris_D wrote:Hi MM.

No idea mate was not there??????
But it could be the TPS or it could be the TB like i have said mine was getting weird voltage readings because of a bad earth could be that too?
where do i find the TPS? at or in the pedal? or somewhere else?
and where the jiggery do i locate that groundpoint in the boot u referred to? do i need to pull up carpets at back right of boot?

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:16 pm

i guess the pedal but i dont know.

Just follow the cable from the battery its under the carpet in the boot to the left.
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:46 pm

Update.
Well, the results are in and I'm afraid to say at this point in time it's a bit of a mixed bag.
The replacement TB seems to have cured the pulsating, rough idle problem. Nice one MM! I think you were right there!

However....and it's a BIG however. A few minutes into sitting and idling a sh*tload of oily smoke started coming from between the driver side of the engine block and the heat shield. Pouring out at first then after switching engine off receded a bit. One of my neighbours came out to enquire- that's how serious it got. lol
I removed the dipstick in it's entirety during the fix and there was a bit of spillage over the sump cover and down into the pan so maybe there's a pool of oil i missed mopping up. However, the spillage was on the passenger side and the smoke was coming from driver side.

So, next step. let it cool down and inspect the valve cover gasket tomorrow to see if there is any leakage occuring. Got a feeling the gasket might have breached. However, a mate's just advised to give a good spray of brake cleaner where I think the oil spill may be located and leave overnight to dissipate, then crank up again and observe... what do you reckon?

Somewhat encouraged but on the whole, still a bit concerned.

First start-up after TB replacement:
[youtube]https://youtu.be/YpahPQrbM4c[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpahPQrbM4c

Shut down engine after observing smoke:
[youtube]https://youtu.be/Fbp5nKHHuW4[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbp5nKHHuW4

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:25 pm

Humm it is a bit of a mixed bag. Firstly clear any faults that might get rid of the engine light. Obviously check everything's tight no leaks anywhere on the intake system. And also just double check all the connections are on tight.

Its very hard to see much smoke from the video. But a little oil can make quite a bit of smoke on a hot manifold. I think your right to let it cool down. Dont panic yet and i am sure you have fixed it it just needs ironing out.

Good work buddy and i am pleased the TB did work as i was pushing for that!! I was starting to worry it wouldn't!!

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:23 pm

Machine monkey wrote:Humm it is a bit of a mixed bag. Firstly clear any faults that might get rid of the engine light. Obviously check everything's tight no leaks anywhere on the intake system. And also just double check all the connections are on tight.

Its very hard to see much smoke from the video. But a little oil can make quite a bit of smoke on a hot manifold. I think your right to let it cool down. Dont panic yet and i am sure you have fixed it it just needs ironing out.

Good work buddy and i am pleased the TB did work as i was pushing for that!! I was starting to worry it wouldn't!!
Yess, and I'm grateful you were pushing for the TB replacement. Was baulking at laying out Eur300 for a new one and getting a 2nd hand one at about Eur60 was a good tactic I think.
Will look out for oil leaks and pools tomorrow morning when its cooler and check connections.
Used the 2 good T40 bolts as replacements for the ones I had to cut a slot into for the DISA and re-used the 2 cut ones on the ICV bracket (snug tight, easy to release). Have some new T40's on order but might try and source alternatives - hex, crosshead with same thread pitch and length. Screw Torx bolts in the future!

I have a sneaking suspicion that the CCV system is the source of the smoking and will need replacing as I've experienced that twice now on my old E36 coupe and the M3. Had to replace both.

Watch this space.....ho hum

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:00 pm

Chris - when you quote a youtube video, just put the last bit after the = sign between the youtube quotes.
Cheers.
Chris_D wrote:Update.

Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:18 pm

enzed4 wrote:Chris - when you quote a youtube video, just put the last bit after the = sign between the youtube quotes.
Cheers.
Will do! Thxfor the tip!
Chris_D wrote:Update.

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:34 pm

So then Chris what was the outcome?

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:30 pm

Machine monkey wrote:So then Chris what was the outcome?
well, still smoking after spraying around bottom of head with brakleen. noticed a fresh seepage of oil this morning at the back of the head just under the gasket location so def leaking.
pattern-torqued the bolts an 1/8th turn each and then ran again. same result - oily smoke, although not as much.
idles great now tho around 900rpm :thumbsup:

but i'm gonna get it booked into a garage i've been using here for years as what needs to be addressed is going to take ages - and i dont move that fast cos i'm not a mechanic - slow and steady is my modus sadly.

asked them for a quote on
cylinder cover gasket replacement
oil filter housing gasket replacement
ccv replacement
front pads need replacing
waterpump and thermostat
compression test (just to satisfy curiosity and set a milestone)

guess about euro800-900 for that lot. fingers x'd.

i'd love to tackle those issues as you say it's great learning and character building but i fear it would just take me a month of sundays to complete and i'm coming out of my 'work-hiatus' at this point in time and need to focus on getting some contracts in....

might just leave the ccv replacement for myself, cos it looks like a proper challenge.....
whaddyareckon?

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:40 pm

Water pump and thermostat parts alone will knock you back £350 minimum
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:45 pm

Marlon wrote:Water pump and thermostat parts alone will knock you back £350 minimum

ah sorry,
should have mentioned; i bought some parts already as i intended to do those jobs myself.
Only things i dont have are the ccv kit and cylinder head gasket. got everything else including 'klein montage' (bits n bobs)

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:24 pm

So after a couple of days observation there definitely seems to be a leak from the valve cover gasket.
Was at the stage of leaving it and a few other jobs to a local garage to fix but after reading a few threads here and over at Bimmerfest I'm buoyed up to have a crack at it myself.
As mentioned before I'm not a mechanic but I'm willing to have a go. As any of you who have been following this thread will know by now I managed to replace the throttle body with a few twists and turns and stripped bolts thrown in! I've done other small service items previously but have usually left anything more complex, such as this to the experts.
Anything I should be aware of before starting?
I'll be sourcing some good quality parts including the gasket kit, rubber grommets, washers and bolts, RTV sealant required and a new can of brakleen. Good idea to give the inside of the valve cover a good clean as well as all mating surfaces?
This guy on bimmerfest has a leak in EXACTLY the same location as mine. After watching the bavsport vids I feel pretty confident about havin a go. Any thoughts, nuggets of wisdom, experiences, lessons learned?
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showth ... p?t=802082
g4d0.jpg
g4d0.jpg (48.97 KiB) Viewed 1864 times