Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Should I go new or slightly used?

"M" Specific discussion
Ed J

Should I go new or slightly used?

Post by Ed J » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:58 am

Hi all - I'm planning on getting an M Coupe at some point over the next couple of months after having test driven one a few weeks ago. I'm still wondering whether to get a new one as I've heard there are good discounts to be had but think I'll probably go down the used route.

I was hoping to get one before the end of August to take advantage of the dealer's "pre new reg lull" but it's not going to be possible now. Anyone any thoughts on this? From what I can see most people are getting used cars apart from the early adopters.

One more thing, on the BMW website, just about all the used cars are either black, blue or silver. I have not yet seen a Sepang Bronze car although I do like the colour. Has anyone any pictures of a Sepang Bronze car?

Cheers

Ed

dgm

Post by dgm » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:41 am

I've seen Sepang in the metal a couple of times and whilst to me me it's not offensive, it's not going to be to the majority of tastes. If you're worried about resale value then I would tread cautiously with this colour, if not then get what you want.

To me the new or used question is a no brainer. There's a lot of decent cars available on AUC just now and even with a decent discount on a new car you'll not be able to get near the savings on a used one. I went down the AUC a few weeks ago and got a 56 plate car with less than 5k miles which is in mint condition and felts like it's never been driven before. The only proviso is that a good few of the cars available just now are ex demos and may have been slightly abused in their early life.

JohnD76

Post by JohnD76 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:42 am

Hi Ed,

I believe you can get good discounts on new cars, but I am not sure of the exact figures.

I have just bought an ex demonstrator for 27% off list price, which I am over the moon with.

Best option is to see what you can get the dealer to do a new one for and compare this with a similar spec'ed model as an ex demo or nearly new. the best the dealer said they could do for me was around the £42K mark on a new car. I didn't press the matter though since I knew I wanted ex demo/nearly new.

ian in lancs

Post by ian in lancs » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:06 pm

JohnD76 wrote:Hi Ed,

I believe you can get good discounts on new cars, but I am not sure of the exact figures.

I have just bought an ex demonstrator for 27% off list price, which I am over the moon with.

Best option is to see what you can get the dealer to do a new one for and compare this with a similar spec'ed model as an ex demo or nearly new. the best the dealer said they could do for me was around the £42K mark on a new car. I didn't press the matter though since I knew I wanted ex demo/nearly new.

i too have bought an 03/07 M Roadster ex demo main dealer AUC. £10k (22%) off retail, loads of options with 2300mls on it. It would have been rude not to buy. Absolutely mint, balance of 3yrs warranty - what's to be concerned about?
I'm on my second Zed, a cosseted 2007 Interlagos Blue Z4M Roadster owned since new - 343 horses controlled by a donkey...

Daily driver is a 2012 X3 3.0d M Sport (fantastic) Wife has a 2015 325d Luxury

IAM Observer

JayD

Post by JayD » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:25 pm

If I was in your shoes I would go for near to new. A car with a couple of thousand miles on with still be mint and financially it just makes sense.

I bought new but I didnt have any patience and whilst its great having a new car, getting a near new thats only just run in is the sensible option and as time goes by you will feel happier as financially you will be so much more better off.

Also, near to new you could get one next week!! Order new and its going to be a wait....

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:05 pm

Ed J Welcome To The Forum... :thumbsup:
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

Wondermike

Re: Should I go new or slightly used?

Post by Wondermike » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:41 pm

Ed J wrote:Hi all - I'm planning on getting an M Coupe at some point over the next couple of months after having test driven one a few weeks ago. I'm still wondering whether to get a new one as I've heard there are good discounts to be had but think I'll probably go down the used route.

I was hoping to get one before the end of August to take advantage of the dealer's "pre new reg lull" but it's not going to be possible now. Anyone any thoughts on this? From what I can see most people are getting used cars apart from the early adopters.

One more thing, on the BMW website, just about all the used cars are either black, blue or silver. I have not yet seen a Sepang Bronze car although I do like the colour. Has anyone any pictures of a Sepang Bronze car?

Cheers

Ed
There was a Sepang/Sepang roadster on the BMW site when I was looking - it was there for ages and was marked up at <£30k 6 months ago so I would give it a miss unless you're loaded. I don't think you'd get a pre-reg Sepang one anyway.

If you want to be different (well, apart from the two on here in the UK) there is a white one available, which looks just awesome.

Ed J

Post by Ed J » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:49 pm

Hi all thanks for the feedback and the welcome. Yeah, I guess you're saying what I'm thinking - ie that I should go used and avoid the sepang brown. Although if I could get a spanking deal on a sepang brown then obviously I'd consider it. Anyone got any piccies of a sepang bronze car?

By the way, this may be a daft question, but when you guys search for a car, do you speak to loads of dealers or rely on one to do the search nationally for you?

Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Andy » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:15 am

bmw website does the searching for you, altho i found mine on autotrader (from a bmw dealer) as i wasn't planning on getting an M, but it came up in the price search because it was so cheap..

i quite like Sepang, but it is risky. Same reason I didn't get an Alpine White one although I think it's the best colour. (Imola 2nd.. =) )

zedologist

Post by zedologist » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:47 am

Think this one was sepang! It was my local dealers demo that I took out for the day! (FYI Its still sat on their forecourt!) Unfortunately it doesnt really show the colour that well!

taffy

Post by taffy » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:57 pm

Ask yourself this- are you happy to walk up to a complete stranger in the street and hand them 8-10k-cause that's what you'll be doing if you order new, madness, I bought my car, mar 07, 261miles, CB/Imola, prof hifi, nav,bt, 6cd, ipod, cruise, heated seats, pdc, sun protection, 47k new, i paid 34k when the adjustment for the p/ex was taken into account, so 13k saving for a 3month old car with 261miles, I sincerely hope it was screwed, can only run the engine in better :P