Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Airbag ECU Programming Help *Solved*

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:40 pm

Adamjoe87 wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:32 am Can I ask what people used as the steady power supply to the battery?
Some CTEK chargers come with a supply setting. Well worth having one anyway over a trickle charger.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

yg54sg

Post by yg54sg » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:53 pm

I wasn’t quite sure why the battery needed to be connected to another power source , I assumed it was because when flashing anything you don’t want the power dropping below a level where the computer shuts down mid flash, I had a new Bosch battery on there and a trickle charger also connected to bring it up to 14v with the engine off
54 3.0i SE, Sterling Grey, 6sp Manual, Dream Red Heated M Sports Seats, Pro Navigation, Carver DSP Sound, Xenon,
Mods: facelift rear bumper + lights LCM reprogram, LED DRL rings, Clear hockey sticks, clear side repeaters, powerflex bushes

Obt92

Post by Obt92 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:17 am

@TomR Thank you for your post!

I have had to replace my Airbag module after a frontal crash which caused the airbag to deploy.

The ZB-Nummer (part number) for the used airbag module I installed is not listed in WinKFP under SIM85.
Though the used module came from a same year model as my E85.
Your post mentions that the ZB_nummer listed in WinKFP are based on the SP-Daten files version.

Also each file SIM85 > 6962766 (as an example, one of 4 listed) show > Unverbaut and below it SIM.

Can you, or anyone else, please let me know how you think I should handle my module part number being older/ not listed and which of the Unverbaut and SIM choice to pick?

SteveG_z4

Post by SteveG_z4 » Fri May 14, 2021 9:21 pm

Hi All

Just got my first Z4 and have got it up and running after sitting unloved for sometime. I now have an airbag light illuminated and was hoping for some guidance. I see some fixes need to be coded and some don’t. I have a fault reader and it’s generated the code in the attached photo.

Any guidance on what to replace and if it’s a DIY job much appreciated. I’ve been told it’s the unit in the door pillar but would like a second or third opinion on the code before ordering any parts and attempting a DIY fix.

Thanks

Steve
8922441E-21AA-442E-830A-25D3FD48247B.jpeg
8922441E-21AA-442E-830A-25D3FD48247B.jpeg (125.27 KiB) Viewed 1568 times

gornlordunoboggle

Post by gornlordunoboggle » Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:43 pm

Thank you so much for the guide. I am currently attempting this on my 2003 that i've put a used air bag module into. But I've run into problems at the Tool 32 step - its showing 1 argument and after clearing and retesting I have fault codes 98 9f 20 in SBSL85 & SBSR85 99 1f 20 & STVL85 96 68 20 and a few more. Before I get into that I wanted to clarify I performed the steps correctly.

"14-Load profile -> Expertmode (I used Expertenmodus (Werkseinstellung), as Expertmode wouldn't load on my version as it was too old) -> F1 -> F3 -> choose E60 (E85) from the list -> choose any module you want from this list -> now click F6 Back -> select F4 Process ECU -> choose Module -> now click ReadECU -> close the notepad window that showed up after the module was read (On mine it came up with another window with three text boxes in, I just closed this)."

where it says choose module the first time I grabbed one of the two beginning with a i believe it was akmb - which I understand was to get the Vehicle Order, but the second time it says choose module I chose SIM (which I was assuming it was for SIM85 which is the ecu family for the air bag module) was that a mistake? which module should I have chosen?

Ediabas Tool32: Start System Time
20-Start Tool32
21-Select File->Load SGBD, Group file
22-Browse to the EDIABAS\ECU folder, and search for the file name based on the listed SGBD column. Can be more than 1 file.
-I actually couldn't find an exact match for the satellite pillar that had come up in WinKFP, but I chose SBSL85 and it seemed to work. The main ECU was SIM85 again so this was more obvious.

23-In the Left of the window select systemzeit_lesen (write)
24-In the middle of the window Argument (value of) type 1 in the dropdown menu
25-double click systemzeit_lesen and done.
26-double click systemzeit_starten. (no arguments)

At this phase I opened sbsl85 and double clicked as instructed and entered "1" into the drop down bar but its showing 1 argument ( job_info_gelesen ) when i click systemzeit starten.

I can tell this step hasn't gone correctly and help would be much appreciated thank you in advance!

colb

Post by colb » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:56 am

At step 23 you have systemzeit_lessen (write) which is read not write I think it should be systemzeit_schriben which is (write) so the data gets written to the module. I have been trying to change the Vin number on a used main module using all the software I have but the module dosn't come up as an option, think I need an older Daten file.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

gornlordunoboggle

Post by gornlordunoboggle » Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:03 am

I agree system_lessen does seem like its not what to use. The only thing I've dared trying outside of the guide was entering 1 in the argument box for system_schriben but it says is "no communication with module" in the note pad text box. i found some other accounts of this happening to people.. I heard ISTA might be able to do the system start time for the air bag modules and i'm going to try this next I'll update if its successful.

Ali0191

Post by Ali0191 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:00 am

I recently went through and used TomRs guide. I slightly updated it on this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=136703

My update was mainly because I clearly had a different version of the software so the steps were different wording etc. but I used the lessen line and it worked.

gornlordunoboggle

Post by gornlordunoboggle » Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:42 pm

quick stupid question. when you say type 1 in the argument box what ive been doing is putting "1" in the box. Is that right or am i actually meant to select the first drop down option 55aa?

gornlordunoboggle

Post by gornlordunoboggle » Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:47 pm

When i run systemziet_lessen with 1 it seems fine the text box shows OKAY in it which i interpret as good. but when i run systemzeit_starten I get the yellow box tint in the box below arguement "job info gelesen" & ERROR ECU CONDITIONS NOT CORRECT OR REQUEST SEQUENCE ERROR in the text box.

gornlordunoboggle

Post by gornlordunoboggle » Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:32 am

Gentlemen! I have done it! NO AIR BAG LIGHT ON THE DASH!
now I can give back to community for others who the current guide isn't enough.

I wish Id wrote more down and took more pictures since this is gonna be a bit patchy but I promise its fairly intuitive and it worked.

first here is what I read about how the system time error works for the air bag module. It needs to have a higher time then all the satellites so if you're in TOOL32 I'd recommend resetting the 4 satellites modules (SBSL /SBSR / STVL / STVR) and not touching the SIM module system time since you want it as high as you can get it. Even if that turns out to be bad advice (I reset all 4 satellites and the sim in my frustration) The following will get you out of it.

Here's how I did it. I followed the guide entirely (and a bit extra...when it wasn't enough) but you can probably skip to this once you reach the TOOL 32 steps / or not should work either way.

I found the software for ISTA P. (It can had for free but I bought it for 15 euro's from the top result on google and it had decent download speed its a massive file so make sure you're hardwired or have fast wifi (50-60gigs) Extraction and installation takes another couple hours and there's a lengthy pdf to follow to install it correctly. (this took me 3 days of on and off work to get the computer ready)
Once you achieve that use your DCAN connector and load it up with create session (its very slow). It asked if i had replaced modules i said yes - it asked me what modules I had replaced. I chose SIM (air bag control module)
It will create a 3 step plan for you of "initialize & 2 more steps." (i'm so sorry I cant remember) I attached a battery charger and started the action plan. (wish i remembered what the button said but it was fairly intuitive.) It was again very slow but it eventually came "shut the ignition off and remove the key". This is where you will learn as I did, that it cant tell you've done this and the screen will not progress. eventually I pushed terminate and turned the key back on. This was not as scary as I thought since its finished the programming and this was part of the erase fault codes step. It may say "fault codes still present" this is fine just continue.
Eventually you'll reach the results screen and Unless you're truly unlucky, it will say it was a great success and the air bag light will not be on your dash anymore!

Simonsen

Post by Simonsen » Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:45 am

Hi all well it looks like i need to recode my B pillar module , Question is do i need 3 different programs ?:
- Inpa
- WinKFP
- tool 32
just looking at ebay to buy winkfp with cable.

BumpyZ4

Post by BumpyZ4 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:49 pm

You can download for free from numerous places on the web an entire software suite that includes all of those programs. I downloaded "Mike's Easy BMW Tools Package" off of Bimmerfest.com. It comes with everything you need.
2003 E85 3.0i Sterling Gray
KLR 650
Diva Roadster (Kit Car)

E60NZ

Post by E60NZ » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:46 am

**Cautionary Tale**

I have a 05 E60 and had the airbag problem and I followed the guide completely. Everything went well up until the ISTA-P part.
It asked if I had replaced modules, I said yes, checked the ones I changed, accepted the action plan and it started doing its thing.
Then it asked me to remove the keys and as soon as I did that, it started updating CAS module...
But by that time, it was already too late and yes you guessed it.. CAS was bricked...
No dash lights and engine wouldn't crank.

Now, if you are at the part where ISTA-P is formulating the action plan, do yourself a huge favor and uncheck/remove all modules that you haven't replaced from the action plan.

However, if you have bricked your CAS like I did, all hope is not lost. There is still a way to recover it. There are a bunch of tutorials out there on how to reset CAS via NCS expert or ISTA-P. I tried everything and nothing worked.

But this did. Alright, here is what to do:

First, we need to check if a connection can be established with the car.
Open INPA. At this stage, it will show battery off and ignition off. Do not panic my friend (well not yet!)
Turn the cabin light on and off, or open/close the car door.
You will hear a faint noise coming from the car.
Wait for 2 seconds and then read the UIF field.
If you see that CAS module has a VIN of 0000000, you can smile a little as you are probably going to be able to recover your CAS.
If it says something along the lines of "no communication could be established". Unplug your negative terminal, unplug BST, wait for a few mins, then plug everything back in and repeat the above process.
Okay, now note the ZB number in the CAS row.
Also, check the programming state, most probably, it will be 12. That just means, incomplete flash and it is good sign.
Now take the keys out of the ignition. Launch WinKFP. Comfort mode > Enter ZUSB > Type in the ZB number that you just noted.
Press ok on the pop-up screen.
Enter your VIN, click OK.
Ensure that protocol being used is BMW-FAST and Boot sector update is Activated.
Now open/close your car door again, wait for the noise, wait 2 seconds and then hit program.
It will say, ECU can be programmed 1 time, say yes/ok.
Then the update will start and within 2-3 minutes your car will be revived.

Now opening/closing car door may sound stupid but trust me it is the most important part of the process.
What it does is, it wakes the car up for around a 30 second window and we need to make the most of that window.
Also, CAS can only be updated with your keys out of the ignition. Please do NOT leave them in.

Any questions about the process, please feel free to ask. I will try to answer to the best of my ability.
And NO I cannot help with any other programming questions, sorry.

And obviously, no guarantee it will definitely work for you, just because it worked for me.
You may end up making your bad situation worse, so proceed at your own risk.

Good luck!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:54 am

A very comprehensive explanation thank you.
However, I’ve done a few now and ISTA-P is not required at any point in the process?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup: